Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Amy is Sick

Amy's Mom
October 11th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Hi all.
Just thought I'd post a note regarding Amy. She had been vomiting and having diahrea for a day so I took her to the vet. Apparently she ate or got into something that was toxic. Man, was she sick. She had to stay overnight on Friday to get rehydrated as she lost almost a pound of weight and was very dehydrated. Not good at all. There was some damage and inflamation done to her intestines due to the toxicity of whatever she had.
They gave me some antibiotics for her and some canned gastro food, but I know that it is not very good for her. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to see when I can put her back on regular food, but what I would like to know is if there is some canned foods that will be easy on her stomach and digestive system that is not based on corn.
Also I know that she is a small miniature poodle but she only weighs 7lbs 8oz, which is not very much at all. She was 8lbs 6oz before she got sick.
Any suggestions will be welcome.

by the way, I had put her on Innova EVO and I thought she was doing okay with it.

thanks again
Dee

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Sorry for Amy's troubles! Poor doggy! :(

For the food, I'd follow the vet's advice, just until she stabilizes. When she's stable, or if she doesn't stabilize ever, then gradually reintroduce whichever food you'd like. In the meantime, you could maybe put a few kibbles in there if you feel it's necessary. Evo might be good for her to put weight back on.

Good luck.:)

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 03:11 AM
I would leave her on the "gastro food" from the vet until she is better. I presume it is the Medi-Cal brand. Their regular maintenance food is not very good but their "prescription formulas" are okay until they've recuperated.

Hope she feels better soon and keep us posted. :fingerscr