Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mammary gland lump on dog

celticfox
October 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM
My husband and I recently adopted a beautiful 6-8 year old husky/shiba inu/shepherd stray named Raven from our local shelter. We've had her for two months now and she has been an absolute blessing to us. She is such a silly girl, so incredibly sweet and affectionate and follows us around everywhere. We just love her to bits. :D

Raven just had her teeth cleaned last week because they were covered in tartar and her breath smelled horrible and the poor thing had to have 8 teeth removed by the time it was over. Thankfully, all went well and she now has a healthy set of pearly whites and her breath is smelling quite fresh (for a dog, anyway ;)).

Getting to the subject of this post, I was horrified to discover a hard, pea-sized lump right next to her lowest right nipple while giving her a belly rub this afternoon. I can't believe that I didn't feel it before today and I'm also surprised that the two vets she's seen in the past month didn't find it while examining her either. I'm so incredibly worried about her because of her age and the fact that she was spayed earlier this year at the age of 6-8, putting her at a much higher risk for mammary cancer. :(

I've made an appointment for her for Friday to see the vet and I'm quite sure she'll have to have it removed and checked for malignancy. I could kick myself for not finding it sooner given that she was just put under for her teeth last week and it would have been much less stressful for her to have it removed at the same time. Needless to say, it would have saved us a lot of money to boot. :rolleyes:

I was wondering if anyone else has discovered a mammary gland tumour on their dog, whether it was malignant or benign and what the outcome was?

It breaks my heart to think that she may be ill and her days numbered after finally finding happiness in her life. :sad: I pray that isn't the case. :pray:

Thanks for listening.

Missy

Frenchy
October 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Raven is just beautiful , she looks like a wolf. Please wait for the results,it could be nothing,we never know. If it's a tumour,they can operate, sucessfully. :fingerscr for Raven and please keep us posted !

celticfox
October 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks so much for your reply and good wishes, Frenchy. :) People are always telling us that Raven looks like a wolf or coyote. It's a good thing we don't let her off leash in the woods where we walk her because chances are she'd frighten a lot of people!

I managed to get Raven in to see the vet today and he said it's a small but hard round lump that must be taken out. He said there's a 50/50 chance of it being benign or cancerous given her history. She'll be having the lump removed on the 20th and hopefully we'll have good news by the 25th. I'll definitely update when we know more. :)

Frenchy
October 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'm glad Raven is having it remove so soon.The sooner the better ! My Daisy had 2 of them removed on 2 separate occasion,unfortunatly,it's was cancerous and it came back a third time,it was very aggressive,she had 2 of them last time. She was 11 years old and they couldn't operate her anymore,unless I decided to go with chimio.Wich I refused. But I know lots of people with doggies who had one operation and it never came back. Keep us posted and good luck :fingerscr :pray:

rainbow
October 12th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Raven is gorgeous and her eyes look so full of love. Positive thoughts coming your way and fingers crossed for Raven's results. :fingerscr :fingerscr