Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat ate mice poison

lovesdogs
October 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I think my cat may have eaten some mice poison. How will he act and how would I know forsure. What symtoms would he have?

erykah1310
October 10th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Ummm?
Sick and depending on the kind or amount he could have eaten, im sorry but death!

Iwould call the vet if you suspect poisioning, You can never be too careful, and it could help to catch it before the symptoms occur.
Give them a call, and they will be more than happy to answer your question.

Please post with updates.

Inverness
October 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
By the time we ask you all our questions to figure out what type of poison your cat got into, he might be dead. Don't delay, call the vet or poison control center with the package in hand, and follow the instructions that will be given to you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

lovesdogs
October 10th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I dont know forsure if he ate poison or not. I havent seen any evidence of it. He just threw up lastnite and made loud noises. Than today he hasnt eaten or drank any water. Just laid around and didnt move much.

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Go to the vet! Don't wait for answers here. GO NOW.

OntarioGreys
October 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Phone an vet or emergency vet right now and tell them what type of poison and what ingredients are in it if you know, and how the cat is behaving they will advice you if they think the symptoms are related and whether you should bring him in, if you wait too long and it is the rat poisoning your cat will suffer terribly and die.

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Call a vet now whether you're sure your cat ate it or not. This could be a life threatening condition, taking several hours then your cat dies. How would you feel if you could have saved his life, but waited in case he hadn't eaten it. Better safe than sorry. Take a second to read this as some symptoms such as internal bleeding or severe damage to internal organs:
PLEASE TAKE YOUR CAT TO A VET NOW, YOU MAY SAVE HIS LIFE, if he didn't eat it, then you're safe and sound. What if it was a baby, would you take the risk? Plse look at this, you've described some symptoms of ingestion all ready:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_news091506
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

(Urbana, Illinois) September 15, 2006 -- The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises pet owners to use caution when using products to eradicate rats, mice and other rodents, known as rodenticides. In 2005, approximately 7,000 cases involving animal exposures to rodenticides were managed- nearly twenty-two percent of all pesticide calls to the Center.

The most common active ingredients found in rat and mouse baits are anticoagulants, which interfere with blood clotting processes. Ingredients of this type include warfarin, brodifacoum, bromadiaoline, difacinone and difethialone. Other formulations can contain bromethalin, cholecalciferol, zinc phosphide or strychnine, which are designed to kill rodents by affecting various other critical body systems. Some baits may also contain inactive ingredients meant to attract rodents, and these ingredients can sometimes be attractive to pets as well.

According to Dr. Steve Hansen, Senior Vice-President of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, “If a pet ingests a rodenticide, potentially serious or even life-threatening problems can result, which may include bleeding, seizures, or damage to the kidneys and other vital organs.” Therefore, when using any rodenticide it is important to place the product in areas that are completely inaccessible to companion animals. According to Dr. Steve Hansen, Senior Vice-President of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, “If a pet ingests a rodenticide, potentially serious or even life-threatening problems can result, which may include bleeding, seizures, or damage to the kidneys and other vital organs.”

joeysmama
October 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Years ago we had a cat who caught a mouse who had eaten poison and the cat died. :sad:

PLEASE don't wait. Put kitty in the car RIGHT NOW and get to the emergency vets office !!!!

White Wolf
October 10th, 2006, 10:16 PM
This is an emergency. Please seek immediate veterinary care and post again with an update.