Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A reminder about human meds.

Angies Man
October 10th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I'm type 2 diabetic and have high blood pressure. Both health problems are nicely controlled with medications (and diet and exercise.) My blood chemistry is quite different from the non diabetic--and the medications I take on a daily basis could make the non diabetic quite sick or even kill them. Same with the B-P med.

So imagine the thoughts that went through my head this morning as I was cleaning the bathroom and found one of my blood pressure pills on the floor!:eek:

Luckily, my inquisitive Std. Poodle pup didn't find it before I did. But, keeping track of my meds a little more carefully is now on my puppy proofing list.

And then there's human OTC medications and cosmetics. We all know that dogs don't tolerate human analgesics (Tylenol, Advil, and Aspirin) because they can cause liver and kidney damage or, in the case of aspirin, burn a hole in a dog's stomach. Human toothpaste can contain xylitol--which is toxic for dogs. That toothpaste tube looks a lot like a chew toy to a puppy.

Just a thought on the way to lunch. . .

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Very true. Any meds should be kept far, far away from pets and kids.

SnowDancer
October 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
My husband really annoys me - will put Tylenol in his pockets wrapped in a tissue. Well Eskies love tissue or paper of any sort - and my guy will eat anything - pill shaped or not. I am so very careful - am just afraid it won't balance out. Also get very annoyed because he is not careful with his loose change - in particular the pennies. Surgery he we come one day I am sure.

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Maybe this is just a "guy thing". My hubby is always dropping stuff that the dogs/cats can get. :frustrated: I'm always picking up coins or whatever that come out of his pockets when he changes his jeans. Or else nails, etc. :eek: if he's outside working on something. I once dropped one of my HBP meds on the floor and, even at my age, was faster that the kids to retrieve it so I think it must be gender related. :D

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM
It's very much a guy thing...
Dad drops the rubberband from the newspaper on the floor.. Leaves gum at the edge of the table.. Leaves his toothbrushes in dog accessible places.. Doesn't always throw out dental floss so Cider can't get at it.

Ewwwwww. Ever reached into a dog's throat to rescue gum? Yuck..

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Doesn't always throw out dental floss so Cider can't get at it.tee hee hee reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Brian needs help because he ate floss and it uhh... didn't completely get out of him, and he yells "If it's not edible, why do they make it minty?!"

mafiaprincess
October 11th, 2006, 11:13 PM
*dies* OMG I never saw that.. It's Cider..