Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Who wants a CABBIT!?!

Paula69
October 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
If you do, you are one screwed up person and should seek Proffessional Help Immediately! Someone in Medicine Hat has 1 Cabbbit remaining, out of 3 apparently, I guess it's a pet, but you better not be getting any ideas and PLeez get that thing fixed! Does anyone know if that's even legal, to cross-breed a Cat and a Rabbit?! This friend of mine that "met" it at her neighbour's is still freaked, and How do you think the animal feels that can't decide if it should run or hop and is a Freak of Nature! It should be totally illegal (if it isn't) to screw with the Genetic Pool, ask the 2 babies that died! You people make me sick, get off the crack and look at what you did! Does anone know if anything can be do about this? I'm mad again....any ideas..or input? Is there a law on this? :pray: :ca: :rip:

Inverness
October 10th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry, but this is genetically impossible... ;)

Here, some reading about it...

http://www.messybeast.com/cabbit.htm

Paula69
October 10th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi, thanx for opinion, but the lady who saw it isn't lying, (boyfriend's sis) a few other people have seen it as well!? She heard about it so went over and they introduced it as a Cabbit, told her it was a X-Bred Rabbit and Cat? She is still grossed out and freaked out, and she wouldn't make it up! She's in her 40's and ALL about animals, animal welfare and has many critters she's rescued. I believe her, but don't think they walk it much ya know. It has the head of a cat, w a cat face, but a rabbit body and tail, it apparently can't decide whether it should hop or walk, and is quite wobbly and about 3 months old? I guess there was 2 other babies but they died? I don't know, can we send someone to check it out? (cops) Is that legal? A few people have seen it and are quite upset, How can we know? What can we do?:confused: I promised friend I would post it here to see if anyone knew what to do!?

technodoll
October 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM
you can breed a donkey and a horse to get a (sterile) mule, or a tiger and a lion to get (sterile) offspring, but breeding two different species will not yield any offspring at all, it is a myth :) if it WERE possible, it would be in all the scientific journals of the world, trust me! :rolleyes:

Inverness
October 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Might just be a Manx kitty with severe difformities.

Paula69
October 10th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi, thanx again for your reply and posting that info. it does make me feel better, but I'd still like to be sure? I'll try to find out what kind of cat (Manx? Kangaroo??) and what kind of rabbit? There should be someone who could check it out, do a DNA test or something? I guess they are a bunch of young crack heads though and are worried because of 2 deaths and don't really want it advertised, but with that said, they're likely to change their minds anytime then, maybe she should pitch $ idea at them? Or is there anyone to check it out? If not there should be?!:fingerscr

Puppyluv
October 10th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Cats and rabbits aren't even in the same order. You can manage inter-special breedings (thereby producing sterile offspring) but you can't manage an inter-orderial breeding.
There are however GFP-rabbits (which glow in the dark) off topic yes, but part of the world of science.

Paula69
October 10th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Thanx again everyone, they deffinetly have both a cat and a rabbit, so if it is true, they can't start breeding them, Good. But, what if they keep trying and create more of these poor screwed up animals? Isn't there some way to stop them from having any more?

Inverness
October 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Cats and rabbits aren't even in the same order. You can manage inter-special breedings (thereby producing sterile offspring) but you can't manage an inter-orderial breeding.
There are however GFP-rabbits (which glow in the dark) off topic yes, but part of the world of science.

Eww ! That must be a little eary... :eek:

Back to topic (well sort of), I found something cute:

http://www.hopperhome.com/Cabbit/hopperhome-cabbit-home.htm#Andrews%A0

technodoll
October 10th, 2006, 03:08 PM
cats would rather EAT rabbits than mate with them , LOL :D so don't worry... nature's not that easy to fool!

Paula69
October 10th, 2006, 03:14 PM
AW, such a cute little poem they posted there.C that lookes like a happy bunny..that's how it should be, friends yes, nothing more... I have a cat and 2 big dogs that are best friends, but sure never thought about mating them!

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
hee hee cabbit- I thought a cabbage and a rabbit had gotten a little too friendly...

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 04:46 PM
The cabbit is a myth, see this as it describes a genetic defect etc:
http://www.messybeast.com/cabbit.htm

Also here, it explains its a gentic deformity with pics:
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/permalink/cabbits/

. But these apparent hybrids always turn out to be cats with genetic mutations that have resulted in rabbit-like deformities.
As Hartwell notes, "It is possible to cross-breed some animals... But you can't get crossbreeds from cats and rabbits because they are unrelated and are genetically very different from each other. A cat is a carnivore with its whole body adapted to hunting and meat-eating. A rabbit is a herbivore with its whole body adapted to eating plants."

Paula69
October 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
OK, so got some more info..it is a Manx they have, it's probably a deformed Manx, even though they have a very horny rabbit. OH SORRY people, I was really worried...lol....well, I'm so embarrased, should've clued in at the Crack Head part I guess, and I'm as smart as them for not knowing about Manx deformities, scary! So, ya, in Conclusion, upon further investigation and visual sightings, and upon evidence gathered by witness', after carefully Researching Cabbits, it's probably a deformed Manx! I guess there was alot of them in Medicine Hat a couple years ago, mostly from 1 farm I hear, 1 guy said they're always giving them away and got one from him for his brother and saw quite a few w/ the deformity, and none are fixed, so, could've come from there I guess, or anywhere..well, they got me..never trust a crack head!..lol.well gave ya'll something to laugh at anyway..U're welcome!:sorry:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Even if you got a very confused cat to mate with an equally confused bunny, their genes are incompatible so you won't get offspring.

I know you found out the truth - but I thought the above was funny - will this deformed Manx be okay can he live with his deformities - he is going to be neutured right? :)

Paula69
October 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Is there any way to delete threads lol ?! I still feel pretty dumb for not doing some research first! I won't make that mistake again, don't worry! Um, I have no idea if they're getting that particular CABBIT fixed or not, hopefully, I'll get her to work em on that, but apparently there's lots around Medicine Hat w/ the deformity, I doubt most of them would bother to fix them, poor things, esp. not a couple crack heads, they'll have other more IMPORTANT things to spend $ on. I'm kinda new in town and have never heard of such a thing, silly me..this is a strange world I live in..:o

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I think it's a good thread. You aren't the only one in the world who thought it was real and people will find this thread and learn something.:)

Paula69
October 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM
OK, so who's gonna B the one to start a CABBIT rescue here lol!! Or are there such a thing? UM, sorry, I WOULD, but my dogs would probably eat them, and I'd be too scared of them, and my cats neutered..BORING action in my house. No good. :D

technodoll
October 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
so... female rabbit and male cat = cabbit
male rabbit and female cat - rat? :confused:

:D :crazy: :D

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hey! I think you just proved evolution! :D heh heh

and then a rat and a bear = bat! :)

technodoll
October 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM
then a bear & a spider: a spear??

hazelrunpack
October 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I needed a giggle today and I have to admit, I've been giggling for the past 3 minutes or so as I read down this thread...

Thanks!

Paula69
October 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM
C,I wrote it all on purpose, just a test teehee to test your knowledge, um, ya that's it! U all passed. congrats! Wait till U C my next story, coming soon, to a town near you, hopefully, Stay Tuned to Paula69 to hear my next plan, it's a little better even, lol, laters! GO AHEAD, laugh it up! I would too! U're welcome, I LOVE to make people smile, so worth the embarassment! Have a good one all! PS I noticed noone volunteered for the CABBIT rescue yet, tsk, tsk...lol

Paula69
October 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Check out jokes I posted, they should make ya laugh! one is RABBIT IS WALKING.... and one is GOT ANOTHER GOOD JOKE... in joke section, you'll like it! Look for:cool: symbol!

paula383
October 14th, 2006, 06:02 AM
ive had a really bad week and i have just noticed this thread, thank you for making me smile, as for a cabbit ive already got one lol my rabbit lives in the house with 6 cats and thinks hes one of them and we always refer to him as a cabbit. thanks again :D