Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

White Cat

mundol
October 10th, 2006, 12:32 PM
My 13 year old all white F cat has developed some brownish like patch/hair on her back (can't get to lick, looks like a bruise on skin)about 4" L x 2" W. No lumps, eating/pooping/sleeping OK and she isn't in pain although a little sensitive to touch. No prior illnesses and hasn't been to the doctor in years. Should I be concerned? Is this a problem with white cats? Lucy

Inverness
October 10th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure why you insist on the whiteness of your cat, other than the fact that you might already know the answer to your question and are looking for a confirmation of your doubts... but white cats and dogs are very susceptible to develop skin cancers and in this case, although your post is not very clear as to whether it is the hair, the skin or both that have turned brown, still I would not lose a moment and would seek vet care immediately.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mundol
October 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks for your response.

I emphasized white cat because I thought a white cat may have its own set of problems.

I guess I am very ignorant of skin cancer having had 2 healthy cats (this one 13, and another russian gray that is 15). Daisy, the 13 year old white cat has always been an indoor cat and since she hasn't communicated any health changes other than discoloration I was hoping it was just old age fur coloring or a bruise from jumping. When I part the hair it does look like the skin is also brownish.

Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Lucy

Angies Man
October 10th, 2006, 02:16 PM
. . .hasn't been to the doctor in years. Should I be concerned? Lucy

Sorry, I think that cats and dogs should be seen by a vet for a checkup about once a year--just because.

I would say that the change in color and the tenderness of the site to touch constitutes a change in your cat's health and warrents a trip to the vets.

SnowDancer
October 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
My white cat lived to be 19 - only problem she had was that like many white cats she was born deaf - but could hear the fridge open no problem. I strongly urge you to take your cat to the vet as skin cancer or other condition may be causing the problem. The fact that the spot is tender would indicate that your cat has not happened to rub against something causing staining of the fur - this happens.

spud
October 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM
my 11yr old all white male cat (who goes to the vet every year) is healthy as can be. He has a great eye site (although one of the kittens in his litter was born blind and his eyes were red...) and has had great health his whole life even though he is an outdoor/indoor kitty. He has a bruise on his tail from when he was a kitten. My brother accidently rocked over his tail when in a rocking chair and Leo was under it. The bruise never went away...even 11 years later the discolored area is still there. The vet has never said there is a problem with his skin except at one point in time he had flakey skin under his chin (which looked like dark grit like sand) and it was a bacteria of some sort that she said would go away and wasnt bad enough to treat...and it did go away.
good luck with your cats grey area...let us know what it is
spud