Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my puppy has diarrhea

babysister
October 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM
since we got my puppy a month ago it has had diarrhea everyday, sometimes watery stools (depending how much water he drinks) and sometimes just mushy stools. hunter is on puppy chow and we tried switching his dog food but he still has the runs. with his first set of shots he had a thorough checkup with the previous owner and they did a check for parasites, nothing showed up. he is quite active and is no way lathargic or anything. he is still growing normally and you would never know anything was wrong if the runs werent there. we tried the store brand no name pepto bizmol only so far. we havent tried the pumpkin yet as not sure if that is for just occasional runs. any help would be appreciated.

jessi76
October 10th, 2006, 08:26 AM
even though the last owner had this pup in for a checkup, YOU need to. on going diahrea needs vet attention, especially in puppies. so first thing, get in for a vet check.

2nd... stop giving this pup over the counter meds! incl. pepto! do not medicate your pup on your own - consult a vet!

puppy chow isn't a good food. look thru the dog food forum for other suggestions, and SLOWLY switch your pup over. gradually adding the new food to the old... and weening off the old food.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but on going diahrea in a pup warrants a vet visit asap... your pup can become dehydrated.

babysister
October 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM
k thank you. i appreciate the info. we had seen the pepto bismol on alot of sites and we tried it for about 2 days. no change so we dropped it.

thanks
bonnie

pug lover
October 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM
i would have to agree that this pup needs to get to a vet and fast

puppies can deteriorate very quickly and from what you have described this pup probably has internal parasites

a quick stool sample brought in to your local vet is probably a good idea as well as the pup second shots and boosters

babysister
October 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
no parasites. ever since they gave him the deworming this started according to previous owner. been checked for parasites and it came back clean. he is okay otherwise. he drinks alot of water, attacks my feet with his piranha teeth plays with his toys, torments my other dog and runs crazy in the yard. just has the runs but only about 1 or 2 times a day it isnt all day. looking for vet now.

thanks
bonnie

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 01:02 PM
no parasites. ever since they gave him the deworming this started according to previous owner.Don't count on anything done before you got this dog. 99% of the time, nothing has been done, or without a follow up visit, whatever was done is useless. Start from scratch, head to the vet and get this doggy seen right away.

Angies Man
October 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Your puppy needs a checkup. And a food change. And probably digestive enzymes for a week or two.

Try giving him the digestive enzymes and some nonfat, plain (unsweetened) yogurt for a while. Sounds to me like maybe a parasite, and probably not the right flora in his gut.

I write it often enough I'm thinking about having it be my sig:

Learn to read the label on your dog's food, ingredients are listed in order of amounts found in the food. The first 3 or 4 ingredients should be meat or meat byproducts. Corn (corn meal or syrup) is bad!!! and shouldn't be in the ingredients list at all--soy & added sugar are bad, too! Any puppy or grown dog you bring into the home should have a checkup by the vet within a day or two--check for parasites, ear and eye infections, and update immunizations as needed.

OntarioGreys
October 10th, 2006, 08:07 PM
with puppies the breeders mostly only deworm them for roundworm which is common in puppies, so the check might have been only for round worm rather than a broad spectrum check.

If you have already taken the puppy to your vet once, you then should be able to just take in a fecal sample without having to make an appointment otherwise your vet will likely insist you bring in the pup for an exam

The fecal sample should be a complete check to rule out roundworm, hookworm. whipworm and tapeworm, and the protozoa's Coccidia and Giardia

Once that is ruled out then you need to look at diet, as it is important to have firm stools to prevent anal gland problems such as impacted anal glands which could require surgery to resolve, some dogs do not tolerate sertain ingredients such as corn ,wheat or soy occassionally other grains and sometimes certain types of meats, so if you tried other foods say that contain corn you would still have ongoing problems. It can also take a couple of weeks to adjust to a new food and firm up. Interesting thing to note is mnay of the companies who make the crappiest dog food formulas will not put their ingredient list on their website
Puppy Chow:
Ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), pearled barley, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, animal digest, salt, egg product, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, choline chloride, DL-Methionine, vitamin supplements (E, A, B 12, D 3), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, brewers dried yeast, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

This website has a list of bad ingredients and and other than minerals their is not too much the is good about the food other than the pearl barley (egg product) most likely represents the shell only rather than whole egg, most of the main ingredients is on the bad list

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

I would try finding a food with no corn, soy and wheat as those are the top 3 problem ingredients to start off with, but you are not going to find that in a grocery store you will have to go to a pet store for the food.
One of the better foods I will recommend is Canidae All stages, either the regular , the lamb and rice or the chicken and rice you will pay a lot more but you also feed quite a bit less of it, less than you would of most other foods available as it is calorie and nutrient dense and it is a food they can stay on for their entire lifetime, other quality foods may be less per bag but the bag is smaller and you need to feed more, so they end up costing more per feeding, it is basically a superpremium which per feeding is cheaper to feed than the low end premium foods, like nutrience, nutro, costco's kirland premium etc and there is only one food brand/formula in all of Canada that is a true organic food, Canidae is an extremely close second as it is about 95% organic, very very few foods in North America that uses hormone free/human grade meats and pesticide free grains even in the super premiuim food brand categories, which makes it an exceptional food for the price.
http://canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html

http://canidae.com/ingredients/thefinest.html

Treats can also cause soft watery stools if they don;t agree with the pup, so it is bext not to feed any but use only the new food as a treat while you are doing a food trial to help you indentify where the problems lie.

THe breeder I got my pup from breeds only rarer breeds some of which she imports from europe and this is the food she recommends, and if you feed a lower quality food the lifetime health guarantee she offers on the pups will then become null and void if you want to feed something different she will look at the ingredients and approve it if she agrees that it is good, if you inisist on something else, she will not sell you a puppy. Year ago I used to think breeders that did this were crazy but in the last 15 years I started to their reasoning and realized why it was important, this is common with many good quality breeder as poor quality and bad ingredients can affect the health in many ways such as skin disorders, ear problems, can cause urinary tract problems such as stones and kidney failure, bowel problems, sugars can cause diabetes, can cause organ failure, bad teeth, weaken the immune system, muscularskeletal problems and even cause cancers. By ensuring the dogs are raised on a good quality foods makes it easier for breeders to identify genetic health problems. Many spend huge sums for their breeding dog in obtaining and doing health testing and showing, Having pups turn up sick or have major health problem due to bad quality food could cause breeders to take genetically healthy breeding pairs out of their breeding programs unnecessarily at a great loss to them and in the case of rare breeds reduces the available breeding population which in the end could lead to genetic health problemss imply due to a smaller gene pool and more inbreeding would have to be done, and for this reason the better breeders make acceptable foods to feed as part of the purchase contract.

joeysmama
October 10th, 2006, 08:45 PM
My puppy had two or three bouts of diarrhea during his first year. The vet had us put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and take in stool samples to check.

He didn't have parasites but when the diarrhea returned we checked again. Since he has switched to adult food he hasn't had a problem :fingerscr , so far. I think he may have just had an immature digestive system or soemthing didn't agree with him in his old food.

But never take chances !! Even if he seems healthy you still need to have him checked. And let us know what the vet says. We're always interested to hear how it turns out.

I hope he is well and that you find out for sure that he's in excellent health !!