Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

play good or bad? Wish I knew

gizmeau
October 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM
My cute little yorky & I love to play but am starting to wonder if his favorite game is good for him. I made knots in an old dishtowel and he loves to grab hold & try to tug it out of my hand while he growls, grunts & makes assorted and strange noises ( I swear sometimes he talks) What I need to know is will this activity eventually lead to agressive behavier? Would appreciate anyones input thanks:dog:

~michelle~
October 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Ive always played tug o war with my dogs..... i think its just important not to let them win. If your dog is showing other signs of aggression however maybe a different game would be in order. Also, if your dog does like to play tug o war, make sure they know the "drop it" or "release" command. and as for old dish cloths it may be too mauch like other things in your home (towels, new dish cloths, blankets) and he might start to chew on those so i reserve tug o war for dog toys only...

jessi76
October 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
my trainer always told me tug o war is a GREAT game, as long as YOU start the game, and YOU end the game. I also "second" the dog toy only thing... they make long plush or rope dog toys for this.

mafiaprincess
October 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I play tug.. Only with a select few toys, and I'm the one who decides we will play, and when I ask for the toy we have to stop.

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 11:54 PM
my trainer always told me tug o war is a GREAT game, as long as YOU start the game, and YOU end the game. I agree. As long as you decide the rules and the beginning and end (i.e. stay in control of the game) then it's ok.

rainbow
October 10th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I agree with everyone else....YOU always have to be in control. ;)

shannon1233A
October 11th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Everyone has given you excellent advise, I also agree with everyone :grouphug:

gizmeau
October 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Thank you all so much for the input. Will follow your advice and be master of the game. Am really glad we don't have to give up the game as we both
enjoy it so much. I's nice to have a place to go for advice about things that other people don't consider important. ( to me everything concerning my dog is important) :love: