Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking /feeding schedule

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I need help devising a good schedule that will keep my girl happy.
Is this a good schedule?
Lola is about 7 months old.

Wake up at 5:30 am- walk Lola for :30 minutes
Feed around 7am
Go to work ( I leave at 7am- return home by 4:45pm)
Walk
Feed dinner 5:30-6:00
Walk before bed around 10:30-11pm

Does she need another walk after dinner and before bed time?

Last night she had an accident ...we walked her too early and then walked her later than the usual...I let too much time go in between and she had a full water bowl.

Do I allow her a full bowl of water all the time or do I limit it to when I feed her?

Also, On the weekends, can I walk her more since I am home and have lots of time or should I stick to whatever weekday schedule we use?

Thanks. As you can probably tell, this is my first dog!

meb999
October 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Every dog has it's schedule...they don't all need the same amount of exercise.

Your schedule sounds good, the only thing I would change is feed her when you get up (she'll eat and drink), then walk her before you leave for work. This way she'll get a chance to eliminate what she's eaten and drank (so she won't have to hold it in all day)

She's still young, and you can encourage her to beg for the door when she has to go (by taking her out when she goes to the door). you'll reduce the amount of accidents this way. She'll learn that when you're home, all she has to do is beg for the door, and you'll take her out to potty.

If this is your first dog, I recommend you stick around this site...it's FULL of super-usefull info!

We'd sure love to see a few pics of your puppy :)

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll feed her at 5:30 then take her for a 6:30-7:00 walk.
We may be fencing in our property so I think this will help and make it easier.
Here's a picture of my girl, Lola:
I'll post pics of the cats, too.

jessi76
October 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Lola is about 7 months old.

Wake up at 5:30 am- walk Lola for :30 minutes
Feed around 7am
Go to work ( I leave at 7am- return home by 4:45pm)
Walk
Feed dinner 5:30-6:00
Walk before bed around 10:30-11pm

everyone is different, and every dog is different. That said, I wouldn't leave a dog home alone, with no potty breaks for over 8 hrs. especially a 7mth old. 7mths old pups are still PUPS, IMO.

Also, you are doing all the walking before feeding.... I'd do the walking AFTER, to entice Lola to "go" on the walk. (I walk my dog or play in the yard about 30 min after a meal)

i.e. wake up - out for a quick pee - in for breakfast - get ready for work - walk right before you leave for work.... get home - out to pee - feed dinner - wait to digest - walk/play after dinner.

Do I allow her a full bowl of water all the time or do I limit it to when I feed her?

Also, On the weekends, can I walk her more since I am home and have lots of time or should I stick to whatever weekday schedule we use?

Dogs should have access to ample water all the time. unless you are still housebreaking, in which case I would only limit it right before bed.

as for the weekends..... it's your time off! spend it doing whatever you want with your dog! go walking, running, play frisbee in the park, take some time to train, etc... The only schedule I adhere to on the weekends is feeding time. I try to feed around the same time, but other than that, my dog seems to KNOW saturdays & sundays are for sleeping late w/ mommy!

btw... welcome!

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Here's the boys:
The Big One and The Little One...they're brothers.

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Here's Rosie,our female cat and me:

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
And last but not least, Here's Ozzie:
oops, it's a little big!

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I totally understand about leaving her all day...my neighbor said he'll stop about noon to take her for a walk.
I am currently home with her while I recover from surgery so we go on several walks throughout the day right now. I'm going back to work next week, so I'm trying to out her on a schedule before I am out of the house all day.
We didn't intend on having a dog until I was home with children, but Lola really needed a home and we couldn't see her brought to a shelter, so we are trying to make do! Hopefully next year, I will be home with a baby so until then...we have to find a happy medium.

jessi76
October 9th, 2006, 08:31 PM
you're lucky to have a neighbor like that! I think that's wonderful... and you're doing GREAT as a first time dog owner!