Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toy Box Training

Goldens4Ever
October 8th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Anyone have an idea about how to train my girls to put their toys back in the boy box? They take them out and leave them all over the house. They know exactly what we mean when we tell them to go get a toy/stuffie out of the toy box. I would like to be able to point to a toy and tell them to put it back in the toy box. Any ideas on how to do this????

pug lover
October 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM
:eek: dogs picking up after themselves i know they like to do the dishes put picking up toys:shrug:

jessi76
October 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I just started on this too - but with shoes. my dog grabs a shoe when I come home from work, and leaves them around the house. (it's a pain trying to hunt down a matching pair of shoes each day!) I'm getting him to pick them up and put them BACK in the mudroom where they belong. I bring him over to the shoe, tell him to TAKE IT, lead him to the mudroom, and instruct DROP IT. I'm sure you can do this with the toys too. (it's slow going, but he's getting it!) You can use a new command like "PUT AWAY". just break the skill down to baby steps, reward each success, and reinforce the end command... i.e. "put away".

fosterpat
October 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Wow! Teaching dogs to put their toys away. My 3 kids haven't even figured out how to do this yet. Please post if the ideas given to you work or not. I'll either try it on the my dogs, the kids or both!!!

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Jessi76 posted a great way to teach this. I taught Shannon and Kenzie to do this as well as the names for each toy a little differently. I first taught them to "get it" and name the toy eg. "baby". I'd lay all their toys out, pick up "baby" and say "take it" or "take BABY" while putting it in their mouths. The next step was to teach "get it, get baby" and they'd go over an pick it up and bring it to me. Third step was "drop it" when they'd bring it to me I'd say "drop baby", and lots of praise when they did (through each step of course, and a treat doesn't hurt to trade when they drop it). Fourth step, was once they got the baby, I'd walk over to their toy box and say "drop it, put baby AWAY", then praise and treat. Emphasised the "away". Soon, they would both go and get each toy when I'd say "get baby, put it away".

Use a different name for each different toy, so they also learn the name of each toy at the same time. Two steps in one! Now, I can get them both to either go and retrieve each toy by name and also put each one away in their toy box. This is really handy when they've taken out a bunch of toys, undecided which one they really want to play with, I'll just tell them to put each one away by it's name, and leave the only one out they're allowed to play with at the time! Examples of their toys names are baby(a fav stuffed bear), ball, kong, rope, frisbie, hammer(no not a real hammer, a rubber one that squeeks lol), garfield, birdie etc.

This is a great trick, esp. when I want to vacuum and there's toys everywhere. I get them to start putting them away as I call out the names while plugging in the vac, and voila, carpet is free and clear to vac when I'm ready to start, not to mention saving me this old back from bending over picking up tons of toys, lol! Also great when someone comes over unexpectedly and I can tell them to put babies away while answering the door so it's not such a mess :crazy:

Oh and I forgot to add, this is also a great tool to teach "find it". I'll hide a certain toy, and tell Shannon "go find garfield", and she'll go check her toy box first, then start with the outside of the room going all around sniffing, trying to find garfield, under the couch cushions etc. until she finds it. Sort of an off take on hide and seek. Shannon is old, suffers hip dysplasia and arthritis,and doesn't get alot of exercise, so keeping her mind busy is important!

pug lover
October 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
can i send my pug over we having a hard time with no barking or pooping on the floor when i go out:fingerscr

but picking up the toys would be :angel:

Goldens4Ever
October 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Jessi76 & Shannon1233A:

THANK YOU for the great tips! I think it would be really cool (and unbelievably cute) to see them picking up their toys and putting them back in their toy box. I will print these suggestions out and start working on this right away. And, I agree with you Shannon1233A, playing the 'find it' game is a blast! Sometimes I will hide a toy or treat, and make them stay while I am hiding it, then I will tell them to "find it" and they go running all over the house FRANTIC until they find it. Better yet, I will have them stay while I hide (hide-and-go-seek), then I call out to them, "come find me!" They will run around the house like crazy until they find me, and if I make a noise, they will stop dead in their tracks and put their ears back-listening for another clue. Once they find me, I say, "You found me" and give them a treat. This is great exercise for them and a great brain teaser to enhance their thinking/problem-solving abilities.

Thanks again!

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Jessi76 & Shannon1233A:

THANK YOU for the great tips! I think it would be really cool (and unbelievably cute) to see them picking up their toys and putting them back in their toy box. I will print these suggestions out and start working on this right away. And, I agree with you Shannon1233A, playing the 'find it' game is a blast! Sometimes I will hide a toy or treat, and make them stay while I am hiding it, then I will tell them to "find it" and they go running all over the house FRANTIC until they find it. Better yet, I will have them stay while I hide (hide-and-go-seek), then I call out to them, "come find me!" They will run around the house like crazy until they find me, and if I make a noise, they will stop dead in their tracks and put their ears back-listening for another clue. Once they find me, I say, "You found me" and give them a treat. This is great exercise for them and a great brain teaser to enhance their thinking/problem-solving abilities.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome! I'll try to borrow my sons video camera and tape Shannon picking each of her toys up by it's name and putting them away in her toy box and post it on youtube! It sounds like your babies are really smart, they've already learned the "find it" trick, so it would be easy to learn the toys names, and then putting them away. It sounds hard/complicated, but it really isn't and they learn so quickly, plus it's fun! Please keep us updated on how it's going :D

shannon1233A
October 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM
can i send my pug over we having a hard time with no barking or pooping on the floor when i go out:fingerscr

but picking up the toys would be :angel:
Sure pug lover, I love spending time training. I wish I wasn't so old, I would have loved to become a professional trainer or animal behaviourist. About your pug barking is it just when you go out? Teaching the "speak" and "quiet" command would help. If it's only when you go out, teach the "quiet" command when he barks and you're there. Once he learns it, step outside and wait until he thinks you're gone and starts to bark, then immediately call out the "quiet" command. Or if that doesn't work for you, maybe hiding treats around the house for him to find would keep him occupied, something really special that you only give him when you go out, or try filling a kong to keep him busy. As for pooping on the floor, I'd suggest either crate training, or keep him confined to a small room if it's for a longer period of time. Supply him with toys, again, special ones he only gets when you're out. He'll come to associate your leaving/going out with it being a good thing, as that's the only time he gets his special treats. Just a suggestion :) The find it game would be great to teach, as you'd hide special things and tell him to find it as you leave. It'll keep him occupied :angel: