Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat doesn't want to eat or drink

Mapleridge
October 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I have a 6 year old calico spayed female cat. For 4 days now she has no desire to eat or drink. I have even tried her favorite treats. I have also noticed her sleeping a lot more than normal. She is about 25 lbs. Has been healthy until now.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Bring her to the vet right away. Waiting longer could lead to her death.

BMDLuver
October 9th, 2006, 05:58 AM
25lbs is pretty large for a cat. She may have a heart problem which leads to not eating or drinking as they are retaining fluid. Definitely a vet visit is in order.

Precious06
October 10th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I had a cat with the same problem. One day after she had came up from the litter pan, I noticed she was breathing heavy. I didn't think anything was wrong, so I waited a few days to see how she was. Her breathing got worse and she started breathing out of her mouth. Walking was even a struggle for her sometimes. She also stopped eating and drinking too. I took her to the vet to get her checked out. It's been awhile, and I don't remember what they said she had. Due to her condition being really bad, the doctor said there wasn't much that could be done for her. They gave me some medicine to give to her everyday, but it wasn't for helping her get better-it was just to make her live a little longer. It was supposed to help her breathe better, but it really didn't help her. I knew the best I could do for her was to put her to rest and end her suffering. I held onto her for a few days, hoping she would get better. She didn't, and as hard as it was, I had her put down. She had lost so much weight and I couldn't stand seeing her suffer anymore. She was 9 yrs. old. I really think you should take your cat to the vet before things get worse. She's still young. Good luck. :pawprint:

Mapleridge
October 10th, 2006, 05:48 PM
As of yesterday my cat started to drink and today she started eating and now she seems very much back to her old self. She must have gotten into something that made her sick. She had me really worried. Thanks to everyone who replied.

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I would still take her to the vet. At 6 yr. old and 25 lbs. she is a walking time bomb. :eek:

Sariss
October 11th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Take her to the vet. Not eating for that amount of time may cause fatty liver disease.