Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do black furry caterpillars make dogs sick?

sisterbeka
October 8th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Hi everybody! This is my first post - holas y unas buenas tardes from the southwestern U.S. I have a question regarding black furry caterpillars' effect on dogs. I have a boxer named Bean who I think was snacking on caterpillars last night - I caught her with one in her mouth, and there have been quite a few around lately. Afterward, she became violently ill and was chowing on grass like a maniac. It definitely gave me a scare. She continued to eat grass for about an hour. Then, she threw up a number of times and continued to salivate and gag for most of the evening. I kept a close eye on her and my car keys within reach, but she just seemed uncomfortable as time passed, not emergency-room sick. Today she is ok, but has been sleeping really hard (bless her heart). Good thing it's the weekend and I can sit here with her all day. So - my question is : do I massacre black furry caterpillars? Can certain species have this effect on woofers? I hate the thought of killing the little furballs- especially if it wasn't even the caterpillar's fault in the first place.

Thanks! Becca

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Your best bet would be to photograph it and contact your local poison control centre.