Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 10-month old labrador has red ears & coughing after neutering

hercules
October 8th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Last Sunday (10.01.2006) my 10-month old labrador got neutered. The procedure went fine. As a courtesy, the clinic also trimmed his nails and cleaned his ears. This past Friday when I got home from work, I noticed he was coughing some, not a lot, but enough to notice. I also noticed that he got ahold of one of the arms on my leather chair. Is it possible there is leather lodged somewhere in his throat or lungs? I am concerned about this. He also began shaking his head as if he was trying to dry off. I looked at his right ear and it appeared to be red. As far as I can tell, his other ear is fine. I am not sure if it is an ear infection or if he is just sick (due to the cough and ear). None of this has slowed him down, he is still happy and hyper as can be Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hunter's_owner
October 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I would bring him back to see the vet. I am guessing he has to go back to get stitches out anyways, so you can probably get a vet to look at his ear and ask about the coughing then.
It sounds like an ear infection to me. I have a 5 year old Labrador who has had many, and that is how it starts out, with him shaking his head and a red ear, and then it progresses.
Also, the cough could be a side effect of being put to sleep, from the intubation, or it could be a bug, like kennel cough, etc. Better to ask the vet though to make sure. Good luck, and keep us posted.

erykah1310
October 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Kita coughed too after her spay, I called the vet and they said it was normal for the first ( i think) 48 hours for some dogs to cough because of the intubation.

If it didnt clear up by then I was to bring her back in for some medication ( not sure which one) It all cleared up in about a day and a half.

As far as the ears, I'd call and ask about that, I doubt its related to the cleaning ( but could be i guess)

Hope all works out well.