Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

help! Bird in my fireplace

Frenchy
October 8th, 2006, 09:44 AM
ARGGGGG,there's a bird in my fireplace,he is not injured. My plan was to open the door and put a towell on him so I could take him outside.He got excited and now he's on the "floor" of the fireplace and I can't get to him. Anything special I can do? :confused: And what if he gets in the house,do you think I can still catch him? I can't leave the doors open,don't want the cat to get out.Or to catch the birdie (he's so small!) HELP :yell:

phoenix
October 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
OMG Frenchy: YOu're kidding! I had a bird in my fireplace this morning too!!!!! That is so weird.

We opened the fire place, blocked off the room... Luckily there is a door to the outside in that room, so I opened that and turned out the lights. He didn't go out. So, I went over and moved the grate to put a towel over him and he flew out like a shot, right out the door.

Can you shut the cat in the bathroom for a little while? Then keep the door open?

If he does get out into the house, the best way to catch a bird is by throwing a towel over them- they can't fly- then keeping him in the towel, bring him outside. Poor little guy!
I don't understand ''floor of the fireplace"- you can't reach him there?

They will fly towards the light, but that may mean that they crash into windows :sad: good luck with him... birds are tough, they usually won't be tempted by food if they're scared.

Frenchy
October 8th, 2006, 10:06 AM
OMG Frenchy: YOu're kidding! I had a bird in my fireplace this morning too!!!!! That is so weird.

I don't understand ''floor of the fireplace"- you can't reach him there?

Wanna come to my place and help? :p It's an oil fireplace,it has a ring collar wich makes it narrow,can't get my arm to where he's at.:frustrated: And it's an open area,can't close any doors.....

Frenchy
October 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Got him ! Took a towell and took about a minute before I got a hold of him, got him oustide and he flew away! The cat and dogs are completly unaware of what just happen!:confused: They were right there,lying in the living room,even when the bird was in the towell and made sounds ... great hunters my fuzzbutts! My first birdie rescue! wooohoo. Note to self ; install wire around the cheminee.

phoenix
October 8th, 2006, 10:55 AM
woohoo! great job!

My dogs were very interested in getting at the bird. They're the ones that told me there was a bird there in the first place!
Now I have a lot of poop to clean up in there. ick. Well, a happy ending for the two little birds today! `:highfive:

(i understand now how you couldn't get him- my fireplace is a big ol wood one with huge doors and a flat floor)

chico2
October 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Frenchy,We have 2 chimneys one is capped,the other we had some chicken-wire,formed it to cover the chimney and it works great,it also does not show.
I used to have starlings falling in,when they were looking for warmth in the winter.
Now they can safely sit and enjoy the heat,without falling in.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Woo! I'm so happy both of you managed to save your birdies.:highfive:

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Yikes ~ poor little birdies must have been scared witless ! Well-done you two!:thumbs up