Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Worried about my dog... still

SuperWanda
October 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I've had my dog to the vet twice - the first time to empty the anal glands. The second time for x-rays and medication - a diagnosis of diskospondylosis.

I understand she has this arthritis - I saw it on the x-rays but that still doesn't make me feel better about her discomfort when having a bowel movement. She squats to pee and seems fine but the act of pooping is difficult - she just stands there and little pieces fall out. This morning I let her sleep on our bed and there was a little piece of poop on the bed.

I guess I'll go somewhere else and get a second opinion because she keeps licking at her anus and having these uncomfortable poops. I just wonder if it is something more internal than just the arthritis of the spine. She also has another sore along the side of her tail - an oozing sore which she licks at and it scabs over - like a hot spot. I was doing some reading about perianal fistulas and now I am worried about that.

Hunter's_owner
October 8th, 2006, 01:04 PM
A second opinion sounds like a good idea for sure. Good luck with it all.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I agree with a second opinion. I'm not sure this helps, but when my old lab was in too much arthritic pain, she got "constipated" (in quotes because she wasn't really, she just wouldn't go because it hurt to much to arch her back like that).

Good luck.:)

SuperWanda
October 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks - she seems a little better at the end of this day. Is actually wagging her tail a bit and had a pretty good bowel movement. Maybe the anti-inflammatory is kicking in. It was explained to me that the inflammation may effect the nerves as well so that doesn't sound nice. I guess I have been a little impatient to see some improvement.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah, if she's successfully medicated (can be hard to achieve), everything should be a lot easier for her.:)

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 10:11 PM
It may be worthwhile to ask your second-opinion vet if there is an additive for her food which will make a bowel movement easier (not to be too graphic here but, if she doesn't have to puuuushshssh ~ it may not put such a "bear-down" strain on her back).

kimglenwood
October 9th, 2006, 07:41 PM
hi there, my old shepard had very similiar problems and her vet gave her a stool softener to help so she didn't have to use her hips and back legs so much, but someone has to be around your dog a lot because when they have to go they really have to go, day or night but its quick and painless and she seemed much more lively for the last little while because of it. my old girl licked herself silly when she was uncomfortable and constipated and caused a hotspot under her tail alos, the introduction of the stool softener helped all this clear up too.

SuperWanda
October 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone :) - I will ask about the stool softener. I have been adding water and veggies to her food to hopefully make it easier to move. Still seeing more of an improvement today. I just hope that when I stop the medication that it doesn't get bad again!

There is also a food supplement that I just found out about. It is called leaps and bounds:

http://www.leapsandbounds.ca/

It's a herbal supplement that is suppose to help arthritis among other things. Full of enzymes and vitamins and minerals. I might give that a try as well!

~michelle~
October 10th, 2006, 11:06 AM
please be careful with herbal supplements and get your vets approval before taking any, many of these can interefere with other medications. but good luck and a second opion would be a great idea