Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog has blister on tail-OUCH!

Paula69
October 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hi, I have a 2 yr old Shep/Sharp X who has a very irritating blister on the end of his cropped tail, does anyone know what it may be from? Or what to do? I noticed it about 2 weeks ago, put POLY on a few times as advised, but hasn't really seemed to have made a change, maybe it's bigger? It's about the size of a penny, he's really starting to lick and chew now. Looks like it could be blood filled? He plays hard w/ my other Shep X and maybe he ripped it open and is healing or is it an infection maybe? What to do? Can't really afford a vet right now so hoping someone has a good idea of what to try? Please help! Thanx!

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Only a Vet can tell you what it is ~ we can't diagnose over the internet. So...see your vet and get an e-collar on your dawg in the mean time to prevent him from chewing at it.

rainbow
October 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I agree. You are going to have to find a way to afford the vet now or you could end up with a worse problem later. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr

Paula69
October 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hi, well that's why I've been figuring last couple week since it hasn't gone yet, thanx for your help! I'll let ya know when I find out!

Paula69
October 20th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hi, I forgot to post outcome, sorry! Ramsey has a cropped tail (poor 2 yr old man) and it is a bone chip! Vet said keep putting Poly on it, and unless it gets red and painful again (it's white now, looks like a hard puss lump), it should be OK. If it gets very red and painful then we'll have to look at re-cropping! NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO! I hope not, don't know why they did that in the first place! But for now, gotta keep putting POLY on and hope it clears up. Why do people crop tails anyway? She said it usually causes these problems and in her opinion is a form of abuse, I think I agree. I wouldn't want my tail cut off either, esp w/o asking me, and I guess it causes lots of problems for dogs. PLEASE think twice and research problems it causes before doing this to your puppies! I don't think it's worth it if it's only cosmetic reasons, poor Rotties and Dobies, I'm sorry they do that to you! I think you'd look real cute w/ a tail!:sorry:

heidiho
October 20th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Bone chip,sounds painful hmm

jawert1
October 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Hi Paula, will they not remove the chip? Is it supposed to work it's way out? I hope it heals up ok, but sounds to me as though the vet should have done something more :confused:

pug lover
October 21st, 2006, 11:15 PM
the bone chip has to work its self out in cast here are any nerves attached

sort of like a sliver will take most direct route out without causing any damage

keep it clean

Paula69
October 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Hi, saw your posts there, thanx, I wasn't really sure about that either. It's been about a week since last post and no change. Still just a white lump, guess I'll wait a bit longer to see then. Have a good one!