Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

best timeto get a dog/what to do after he comes home

jiorji
October 7th, 2006, 08:46 PM
I'd like to start a thread with good tips on when the best time is to get a new dog...middle of week.....vacation so that you get a week off to tend to dog...weekend....and tips on what you should do when you get home with the dog. It's easier with cats, but I noticed that dogs are really hyperactive from being caged up all that time. What should one do to level out the energy so that the dog doesn't go nuts when you go back to work the next day. Or so it sleeps through the night. Or are you best off adopting a dog when you have time off?

Stuff like that....share your experiences and tips please :D
(as of now I have nothing to contribute but many people on the board are preparing to adopt a dog,waiting for the right time, perhaps this will help us out)

Frenchy
October 7th, 2006, 10:14 PM
It is easier to adopt when you start your vacation.You have more time to get to know eachother.Bailey was adopted on a friday night.He trieds to chase the cats the first week end but then he got use to their smell.Daisy was adopted on a monday night.Both of them where very cudly and kind of tired from all the emotions.Sam was a foster,I picked him up on a friday night, I picked up 2 fosters that night,so they were very tired too.It depends on the dog,the age,where they come from.Spca,pound,shelter,they just want to get out of there and get some rest in a real house.Dogs are more themselves if you get them from a rescue where they come from a foster family.

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Ceili and Bridie were babies when I brought them home and I took a week off as it had been many, many years since I had had any puppies in my life. I was lucky in that they came to work with me for their first six months so there weren't too many worries. With Declan, he came home on a weekend and I took that next week off to help him adjust to his new life in the city. As he was quite spooked, on his first night, the grrrls slept in the bedroom as was their usual and Declan slept on the couch while I was a crick-neck, propped up in the chair. Then we started interviewing dog walkers as our then walker decided he was too big and three were too many. He has come along way in the last (YIKES where does the time go???) almost year but it has been a huge time and energy commitment. And I love him and the grrrlies more each day !!

jiorji
October 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM
so when you brought them home, did you guys take them for a long walk or let them adjust?

how can you tell the signs of sepparation anxiety or that the dog will be restless home alone and will be noisy?

That's why I too thought that taking time off with the new pet is best :D

wdawson
October 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
at the start of a vacation is best,gives you time to bond and you can have your vet visit lined up in advance,also gives you time to let the dog adjust to you leaving,leave for 10mins...listen at the door for barking\whining,leave for 20mins listen for the same,also lets you figure out his personallity somewhat.

jiorji
October 8th, 2006, 07:15 PM
i just realized there's an article on this on the main page. Sorry :o

jiorji
October 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
at the start of a vacation is best,gives you time to bond and you can have your vet visit lined up in advance,also gives you time to let the dog adjust to you leaving,leave for 10mins...listen at the door for barking\whining,leave for 20mins listen for the same,also lets you figure out his personallity somewhat.

so then if there's no barking.whining that should mean he's good to stay alone for a few hours?

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
First, you need to dog proof. Make sure any and all wires are disappeared, along with any and all shoes, elastics, small plastic things, garbages, books, onions, toilet paper rolls...

Maybe leave out a pile of rolled/crinkled up newspaper, just so if he has to let stuff out, he can do it on newspaper (stuff as in anger, anxiety, etc- newspaper is very stress relieving for doggies, and isn't too dangerous unless they eat it). You leave it there as a decoy, but you still pretend that it's not good to chew it...:evil:

Then you buy food. Buy a small bag of something bad with a small bag of something good and find a good place to hide it. I learned from BMD that a lot of 2nd hand doggies were probably on crap food, so it's easier to start them on that and gradually transition them over to whatever you really want them on (:evil: you're going to become one of us, obsessed with the food forum.:D).

Then you buy a few non-specific dog toys. Like a medium black kong, maybe a big cotton rope, a rubber kong ball (you won't know if he's a tennis ball devourer, so it's better to stay with safer rubber in the beginning), and maybe a couple other medium sized, moderate chewer dog toys, and maybe some cookies...

And then you buy a flat, not too complicated dog bed and maybe a blanket (the more washable, the better) and then a food bowl, and water bowl. Metal tends to work best (stainless steel), but your doggy might be afraid of them (it happens), so keep the receipts and make sure of the return policy of the store. And buy a leash... Preferably one that is soft on the hands if the leash slips through them really quickly (you want to minimize the rope burn ;)).

When you know what doggy you are getting, then you can get a collar, but still get an adjustable one, so you don't have to bring it back right away.

Then yes, it is preferable to get a doggy before at least a couple of weeks vacation (I say at least a couple because I know this is your first doggy, so you might need more time to adjust and vice versa). But not before a stressful vacation- i.e. if you're going to your parents', or it's close to christmas, and things like that, it might be too stressful for you to have a new doggy too, which will also add to the dogs stress, which will make yours worse, etc etc.

Oh, and stock up on paper towels and some non-ammonia cleaner. And newspaper. And pick up baggies.

And then when you get your doggy, you just chill out. If he needs exercise, he'll let you know.

jiorji
October 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Then you buy a few non-specific dog toys. Like a medium black kong, maybe a big cotton rope, a rubber kong ball (you won't know if he's a tennis ball devourer, so it's better to stay with safer rubber in the beginning), and maybe a couple other medium sized, moderate chewer dog toys, and maybe some cookies...

You know i returned all the toys i bought after we went to Monteregie because I got a bit intimidated by all the crazy dogs :o
the only one i kept is the Booda dino cos my cat sleeps with it.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 09:06 PM
lol it's ok. Shelters are very overwhelming, even if you aren't even looking for a doggy.:o

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 12:18 AM
First, you need to dog proof. Make sure any and all wires are disappeared, along with any and all shoes, elastics, small plastic things, garbages, books, onions, toilet paper rolls...

You won't have to do this if you get an older rescue :thumbs up :dog:

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM
True, very true. But even with an older dog you have to hide toilet paper rolls.:D

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 12:37 AM
True, very true. But even with an older dog you have to hide toilet paper rolls.:D
:eek: Not my guys! Who ? Boo ? Jemma ?

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 12:40 AM
yeah...see I was thinking...i'm somewhat concerned on bringing an older more powerful dog, possibly more "untrained" dog in a house with 2 cats. I keep debating on how safe that would be.I keep thinking the younger the better, even if it's more work because at least it'll get used to the cats sooner and not knowing the behaviour around cats of older dogs, i won't know if it'll snap or hurt them even if playfully.

is that totally out there to think of that?

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 12:42 AM
:offtopic:
I think cats are actually born with this extra sense...you thow a paper towel on the floor and they automatically jump on it and kick it with the back feet hehe

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I think a younger dog might drive the cats crazy. Older dogs can be trained too. And if you adopt from a rescue,they usualy can tell you if the dog is ok with cats.

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Very true, Frenchy. Oldies are often much easier to train than the young ones.:)

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM
:offtopic: BTW Rita (7 yr old black lab ,spca Laval) was adopted ! woohooo

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Wooo!! :highfive:

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Too bad jiorji can't have two...:(
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7131243

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I know :( And there's the 2 older boxers too :( BUT,there is still hope for older dogs.Our last rescue was a 9 yr old female,she got adopted after only 3 weeks :highfive:

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:03 AM
If i had a choice I'd want a chocolate lab with green eyes , but Boo's size. (even though I've never met him...that size I want ....since the original is taken :o heheh)

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:05 AM
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6926485
What about a Lassie?:o

Boo's are hard to come by. You're better off searching for a newf than a lab if you want a dog calm like Boo.

Feel free to come meet the original any time, too, eh?;)

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Good choice Prin! I love her description,see Jiorji,that's what you should look for.Maybe not a Lassie! But calmer,easier dog,and they are a lot of them out there!

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I wasn't invited ......up 'til now.....but I can't come up there without a car, unless you guys will come to a park in Montreal

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:14 AM
when semester one's done I'll try petfinder but I don't know how much success i'll have with the house visit :(

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM
but I don't know how much success i'll have with the house visit :(
Maybe it would be easier if you deal with rescues that has members here ? So they know you.....

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I wasn't invited ......up 'til now.....but I can't come up there without a car, unless you guys will come to a park in Montreal
You can take the train up here.:) From near Henri Bou.

The home visit might be hard. Did you get approval from your landlord yet?:o

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Tee hee hee, Boo would definitely be good for you. This is him 5 minutes ago.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Jemma%20and%20Boo%20Aug%20Sep%20Oct%202006/IMG_3474.jpg
(sorry for the threadjack, but it's just so funny. He's the ultimate couch patate- even if his legs don't fit.)

Maybe a dane mix too. Danes are pretty calm.

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Danes are perfect for appartment life,but a bit more bigger,a bit more food,a bit more $$ .Prin,my dogs are spoiled but they don't get pillows on "their" couch so I won't show them this pic!

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:26 AM
there's a St Bernard on petfinder who's name is Georgie :D AWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww

Prin you woke Boo up haha he looks so unimpressed that you woke him up. hehe
I didn't know there's a train going near where you live. I wouldn't mind taking the train should I get invited for Boo and Jemm fall frolicking one day :D ...oh and to hang out with the humans

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:26 AM
lol it's the pillow cycle. When we change ours, they get demoted to doggy sofa pillows (aka pillows my man falls asleep on without getting allergies, even though they got demoted because they gave him allergies and they are now full of dog spit :D). They even have doggy pillow cases that get washed often.:) (I love my doggies too much, yes, I know).

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM
there's a St Bernard on petfinder who's name is Georgie :D AWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww

Prin you woke Boo up haha he looks so unimpressed that you woke him up. hehe
I didn't know there's a train going near where you live. I wouldn't mind taking the train should I get invited for Boo and Jemm fall frolicking one day :D ...oh and to hang out with the humans
lol I think it's more pitty than st-bernard, but I'm no pitty expert...
(http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6991260)
Definitely come hang out in the "campagne" one day. I'm pretty free these days (you might want to wait till the flu disappears though).

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
omg too bad these two can't be with cats..
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6993230
:love:

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:32 AM
There is a pure breed St-Bernard at Monteregie spca too,a female,i think she's 3 yr old (if only I had the money...)

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:39 AM
i feel like i'm hiding something...but out of curiosity do the montreal spca's have home checks?I don't recall them mentioning that when i inquired last year, nor did they ask for landlord permission...or maybe I didn't get to that step in the interview with that specific animal I chose...

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:46 AM
OMG no! I adopted Daisy at Laval,she was 8 yr old,not spayed,was dumped there just because she couldn't "produce" anymore,she just had a litter,they didn't make any update calls,I had her spayed at my vet (if you go at their clinic,the operation is included in the adoption fee) never did they contacted me to know if I had her spayed.So spca is against pet over population but they let pure breds (or mutts,makes no difference) adopted out,uneutered,unspayed and they just don't care what you do with the dog after the adoption ! :mad:

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Yep, Boo is pretty well the same. Not neutered (even though it was "included" in the fees we paid) and even when I went back to give them an update, they didn't even know who I was talking about or even care, for that matter. They didn't ask our landlord either. They just didn't care, period.

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:51 AM
you're right! When I got my Peanut I was supposed to bring her back to have her spayed but went to my own vet and nobody called. Mind you I don't need babysitting, but it's nice for them to follow up.(Don't take that as SPCA bashing)

In Ontario my mom called about a kitten she trapped and the Ontario SPCA didn't have a spot and called back a week or two later to follow up to see if kitten was still homeless but my mom already found her a home (her friend's house) and spca lady was happy kitten was adopted :)

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Ontario SPCA's are different than the Montreal one (so is the Montéregie one...).

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:57 AM
oh, but the problem with the SPCA is that you won't know what you're getting at all. You could be getting a super barker or something that you just wouldn't be able to keep in your apartment because of your neighbors.:shrug:

BMDLuver
October 9th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Why don't you try fostering? That way you would have a much better idea of what is suited to you, your family,environment and lifestyle.

rainbow
October 10th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I agree with BMDLuver but jiorgie + Georgie = a match.....:cloud9:

jiorji
October 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
well yeah fostering......i attempted fostering and it didn't go well:o
perhaps it was because i chose a dog that seemed quiet at the shelter, perhaps it was because of my lack of skills with dogs, I don't know but it didn't work out well :sad:
so i hope to avoid that from happening again.

LOL rainbow...Georgie looks nothing like a St Bernard to me but it's the name :thumbs up

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 11:53 PM
I think you have to foster for a rescue. They'd be able to pair you up with a foster that you could have more chance of success with.

I hear Sam the BMD might need a foster soon...:o

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 02:27 AM
What about....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29031

:fingerscr :fingerscr

jiorji
October 11th, 2006, 02:57 AM
lol that second picture is so unflattering it makes it too cute.
But I can't take 2 and i wouldn't want to separate them :sad:

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Popcorn....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31553

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Charlotte.....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30118

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Castro.....