Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New to the forum

RedBone Owner
October 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hello,

Just wanted to take this opportunity to say Hello. I joined today in hopes to find answers to some of our training issues and to find other Red Bone Coonhound owners (or non-Coonhound owners) who can give us advice.

We adopted Lula in March 2006 from a rescue agency and we've been finding it tough to tolerate her behaviour and lack of training. She used to be a hunter's dog and they suspect she is now 2 years old. She was only house-broken a few weeks before we adopted her. We are a family of three and growing so Lula has had to get used to small children in addition to learning the rules of the house. We were pretty lax in the beginning (our mistake :( ) and now we are trying to lay down the law. No jumping on couch/bed, not taking garbage out of garbage cans, sit and stay, etc. Just the usual stuff, nothing extreme or anything. So we'll be posting more about that in the training area I'm sure.

So hopefully we'll find some answers and get some help as she really is a beautiful dog.

Talk to you soon,
RedBone Owner :dog:

~michelle~
October 7th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Welcome, and Good luck and im sure that you will find alot of helpful advice here :) The biggest thing I can say to you is consistancy is key.... once you decide what the rules are you have to stick with them...ALL THE TIME.... and you need to do some establishing yourself as the pack leader...the best way to is to decide with your family how you will go about training and what you expect so there is consistancy across the board. This will make training faster and easier. ie I expect the dogs to sit everytime we get to a door before I open it, and my roomate refuses to do this, so when they have spent a few days with him, they slack off and take a little while to start listening.....:frustrated: I understand when you first get a dog though, you slack off on the rules and you just want to spoil them,.... Im guilty of it myself. but you can make changes and have your little cute :evil: turn in to a little cute :angel:

LibbyP
October 7th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Hi and Welcome RedBone Owner, trust me I'm not trying to scare you but.... you have your hands full. Like ~michelle~ set some rules and stick to them(the whole family) take her to obedience school, this will help with socialization and manners/pack order(you being the highest). I did not have a Redbone but I did have a Redtick Coonhound for 9yrs, and she was a handful right to the end(:rip: ) we could only let her off lead in a safe and enclosed area, if she caught a scent she turned her ears and thinking brain off, we had a lunge lead attached most times so that if she did decide to 'take' off someone would be able to stop her. As far as the garbage we tried EVERYTHING last resort moved to the bathroom(just off kitchen) with the door shut. GOOD LUCK, they are truly beautiful dogs and very loyal, don't be surprised if she doesn't like the cold weather much(very little hair) nothing a nice cozy coat won't cure:D Cannot wait to see pics, look forward to chatting again sometime soon:pawprint:

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Welcome to the board! You know, you can re-post the pic of your doggy here, in case other people haven't seen it yet.;)

Good luck with the training. I know it's hard in the beginning, but it'll all pay off in the future.:)

LibbyP
October 8th, 2006, 09:33 AM
I saw your pic on the other post, she's beautiful:thumbs up pls post more. Love them hounds.

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the forum. I haven't checked out the pet pic forum yet but am looking forward to seeing your girl. Hounds can be very stubborn and I also think you should enrol in obedience classes. Keep us posted. :dog:

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Rainbow, the pic is here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2976
not in the photo forum. :)

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Lula is gorgeous. :dog: :thumbs up ...(thanks Prin) ;)

OntarioGreys
October 16th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Lula is gorgeous. When very first dog was a male redbone named Red, he was around 5 years oold when I got him , Then my next was a bluetick puppy.
Lula is still pretty much a puppy even at 2 years old, so she needs some hard exercise to wear her out a bit to reduce some of the silliness.

Though this article was written for greyhounds, there are some training and discipline ideas that you may find workable, like booby trapping the garbage can if nothing else it can be a fun read and some of what Kathleen talks about you may be able to relate to having a dog that had a career first before becoming a pet , the transition period
http://www.geocities.com/katnexta/nofeartraining.html