Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hypoallergenic cats for sale $4000

Angies Man
October 7th, 2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/6147392p-5380587c.html

Prin
October 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
It's all psychological, IMO. Tell somebody there's no possible way they could be allergic to a certain cat, and they won't be.:shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
October 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM
How so, prin? If a person has severe cat allergies I doubt they're suddenly going to be symptom free because someone told them the cat is hypoallergenic.
That may be the case with a hypochondriac, but for severe allergy sufferers just the thought that a cat is hypoallergenic isn't going to alleviate their symptoms, or maybe I just didn't understand your point.

Prin
October 7th, 2006, 05:41 PM
A lot of allergies are emotionally based. Like if you're allergic to cats and you're very upset and put in front of a cat, you're likely to have a worse reaction than if you're in good spirits and put near a cat. And a lot of people have mild allergies in a place, but then find out there's a cat around and all of a sudden the allergies get worse (even if the cat still hasn't come out). I'm not saying the allergies disappear if they don't know about the cat or anything like that, I'm just saying, when people expect allergies, they get them, and when they really, really don't expect allergies, that can affect the allergic reaction too.

I don't mean any offense by it, as I know already that allergy sufferers hate the whole idea, but the mind is a very powerful thing.:shrug:

Skryker
October 7th, 2006, 07:29 PM
:offtopic: slightly, but when my niece was small she was tested for allergies and it turned out she was allergic to dogs and cats. They had a cat and two dogs and expected the doctor to tell them to get rid of the pets. Instead, he said that getting rid of the pets would cause more problems with her asthma because it would upset her too much-the gain of no pets would be outweighed by the emotional upset.

marko
October 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Supposedly it's not psychological, it's physiological. They have identified the allergen (what makes people allergic) and removed it at the genetic level.

It would REALLY surprise me if their claims did not hold up. It stands to reason that a truly hypoallergenic cat is worth the money or they would not be in business.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 02:57 AM
I guess the question is: Do you really think there is only one allergen? I would think there'd be plenty. Not just the dander, but the skin oils, the saliva, among other things could contain possible allergens. Some might allergens be the cause of more common allergies in humans than others, but I highly doubt everybody is allergic to the same exact thing.:shrug:

dtbmnec
October 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM
I'd heard about another kind of "hypoallergenic" cat...they mated chinchillas with cats or something...also worth tons of money....*shakes head* I don't believe it but my friend does...they are good pet owners I just think they're a bit misguided...*shrugs* if they want to spend their money then its their deal....I immediately started thinking about all the medical issues that must arise from these...things...

As to the article...at least they're making sure the animals can't breed and they're screening homes and such things...*shrugs*...as to the claims? Well the only thing that really will prove or disprove it is time.

Megan