Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is your pet quirky?

Stacer
October 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I don't know if there's already a thread about this. I want to hear about all the weird, quirky things your pets do. The weirder the better.

I cut some compression cords off of my fleece sleeping bag liner and Angus immediately started playing with them, he likes to chew the ends of them, carries them around with him wherever he goes, he meows with them in his mouth. At night he jumps up on the bed with them and wrestles and plays with them while we're trying to sleep, it's got to the point where before we go to bed we have to put them in a drawer so he can't get them, he goes absolutely nuts for these elasticized cords. He's also very protective of them, if Finn happens to be using one of them, he watches her like a hawk and as soon as she's finished he grabs it.
Really the only kind of strange thing that Finn does is her lack of meowing, she rarely does it, she only makes this trilling noise, it's very expressive depending on what she's doing or what she wants.

Prin
October 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Boo brought me socks yesterday when I was sick... :D

Dog Mom
October 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
My Punkin has to sleep on a pillow, she drags it from room to room with her when she is tired! it's really funny to watch her carefully drag it upstairs with her when it's bed time. Even when we travel she has to have it with her.

Stacer
October 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Boo brought me socks yesterday when I was sick... :D

Awww, he's like a doggy nurse.:p How cute

Frenchy
October 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Bailey gets mad at his hind leg. He lies on his doggie bed,he "takes a few bites" from it and growls at it! After dinner,Sam acts like a cat,he goes in the hallway and rubs himself on the walls! He does it besides the couch too. It's been almost a year that Sam's with us,never heard him bark!

OntarioGreys
October 7th, 2006, 11:23 PM
All of mine have quirks. :rolleyes:

Winnie _ gets very wound up about meals times and will spin in excitement I put the food down for him and Nikki first but instead of digging in right away he will follow me around until I have put the food out for Sunny and then Maya and only then will he make a mad dash to his dish to eat.

Sunny will not walk on the kitchen floor only where there are mats to get out the back door even though I have had 5 years that is something he cannot get over, which is why I feed the smaller dogs in the kitchen so they won't be intimidated away from their food bowls by him but he has no problems walking around Petsmart or Petcetra where there is also shiny floors.

Nikki is the temper tantrum girl, anytime I leave her sight where she can't follow like if I go to the bathroom and close the door or get in the shower leave the house, she starts bouncing up and down stoping her front feet and barking wildly, I had hoped at some point she would outgrow it and realize my leaving is no big deal but after almost 9 years I am doubtful that will happen unless she become deaf and blind and maybe not even then. I did try using a squirt bottle to try and get her to calm down but even though she stops barking and bouncing she is doing other quietier vocals and simply fighting and fidgeting to try and calm herself and the minute I am out of sight she simply explodes into a frenzy

Maya well where do I begin, she has done some pretty bizarre things, she is normally extremely shy and very submissive not even willing to challenge Winnie for a second place from the bottom rank , but there are times I can only shake my head when she does something totally off the wall and out of character for example I gave all the dogs a treat, she finished hers first and then went to Sunny the most dominant dog in the house and she took his treat right out of his paws as he was holding it, while he is growling and snapping at her :eek: I was a few feet away and did not want to chance rushing in and creating confusion and a possible attack so calming as I could warned Sunny to behave, it was not till she walked away with the treat that I could breathe a sigh of relieve and let Sunny know what a good boy he was and got another treat and sat near him till he finished it, what made it wierder was she was just starting to become comfortable around after a year and not running off to hide when ever he looked at her, so that incident really blew me away She has done many other weird things but that was one of the most shocking to me.

Frenchy
October 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I just remember one about Daisy : when I first got her she gave paw,without me asking her.But it was way up in the air,more like a high five! I tought it was so cute. And then I got the message,it was her way to ask for a belly rub! She never did it again :( She didn't had to ask anymore,she was getting plenty of those!:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Joey steals stuff and hides it behind the couch. I looked behind their one day - he had his dishes, a whole bunch of my tupperware some of the kids toys, some socks, some stuffies. If I have my tupper cubboard open Joey runs up behind graps something then runs aways really quick - like hes being really sneaky. :D

Oh and he growls and kicks the grass everywhere after he does his business :D

Oh and doesnt like when I change his walk route - I tried to go a different way and Joey just sat down and refused to move - until I went the way that he wanted. :D

mummummum
October 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Oh lawdy...where do I begin???
Let's see.. if I've left the washroom door ajar and am in the shower, the dawgs take turns "checking on me". Imagine yourself singing away to beat the band, sudsing up, when slowwwwwly the curtain parts and a long black shnozz stealthily pokes it's way in, then one ball...then two.

Now, Ceili does get coddled, I admit it. But she occasionally goes a little over the top. When she wants a nap on her own, she'll go into the bedroom and give a little woof-whine at the bed until I come and lift her up to the bed. No big deal. But, what makes me think"PRINCESS", is the little woof-whine she gives when she doesn't feel like getting off the bed and wants Mummy to bring her the bowl of water. Ooooo yer lucky I luvs ya!

Bridie loves to play peek-a-boo with the towel after we've come in from the rain and if I've "forgotten" to play, she'll bring the towel back to me after everyone is dried off. She also like to have covers thrown on top of her and "wrastle".

Declan HAS to sleep on the same side of the bed (thankyouthankyouthankyou to whomever conceived of the idea of a Kingsize waterbed :D ) as me, even if it means wedging himself half on half off the bed. Ceili likes a pillow to start and stretches right out but then ends up half-hanging off the bed so that her head is almost touching the floor by morning.

Ceili will only gnaw on pre-gnawed on bones. As you can imagine this works out really well for Bridie and Declan.

Frenchy
October 8th, 2006, 12:17 AM
This is so funny (and too cute) Keep going.....:D

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Oh and he growls and kicks the grass everywhere after he does his business :D

haha! Declan does this thing after he's had a reeeeeeally good pee or poop. he does the kick-thing with his back leg but then he stretches his leg back and holds it straight out like a dancer and then looks straight at me and gives me one those cheshire cat grins. Then he kick-stetch-holds his other leg out and grins again. Such a goofball.

Bridie has "ball issues" as in "They are ALL MINE". I've seen her round up and get as many as three tennis balls in her mouth at a time ~ which is plenty shocking on it's own. But the other day she found a fully inflated, regulation size soccer ball and got THAT in her mouth. But .. wait ~ there's more. She stole Ceili's tennis ball and got that in her mouth AND the soccer ball. Can you say dislocated jaw?!? Whadda shnerffle.

technodoll
October 8th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Bailey gets mad at his hind leg. He lies on his doggie bed,he "takes a few bites" from it and growls at it!

frenchy, is this bailey? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-k-NqsyVg

technodoll
October 8th, 2006, 01:37 AM
dakotah will only eat his dinner outside on the balcony (if it rains, he won't eat) :frustrated:

maika loves to suck on our slippers :o

besides that, i can't think of really quirky stuff... sorry :dog:

Frenchy
October 8th, 2006, 01:46 AM
I couldn't download the video :yell: Bailey likes his food to be serve on the patio too! He doesn't even get up,just lies there and eat :king:

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Oh, yeah, Jemma humps the "humping bed" (that's all it's for). She also scratches her bed before lying on it, but a lot of dogs do that...

Aside from bringing me "get well" socks, Boo can burp on purpose... Well, I think he can. A few times that I have been upset, he'll come over looking innocent and caring and then let out this big burp out of nowhere. It's pretty funny (which is why I think he does it... He seems to know what makes us laugh.)

poodletalk
October 8th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Maggie my husky, has a squeeky ball.

She squeeks it and begins to howl and stops.

She squeeks the ball again, she begins to howl again but in a slightly higher pitch.

She stops, squeeks the ball again, begins to howl again in a higher pitch.

She does this couple of times, until she feels she's in the right pitch and key and begins to howl nonstop.

It's like the squeeky ball helps her to get into the right key for howling:dog:

jessi76
October 8th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Tucker will come to your "rescue" if you sneeze or sniffle. (he think's it's the sneeze or sniffle "of death") he will jump ON you, ears up and forward (very alert), then lick your whole face - especially your nose - and sometimes even put his paw on your arm. every time we sneeze or sniffle... we get the "tucker tissue"

and every time we come home, or anyone comes over our house, Tucker prances around with something in his mouth. whatever is in reach - a shoe, a boot, his blanket from his crate, a glove, mitten, or scarf....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 8th, 2006, 09:55 AM
and every time we come home, or anyone comes over our house, Tucker prances around with something in his mouth. whatever is in reach - a shoe, a boot, his blanket from his crate, a glove, mitten, or scarf....

hee hee Joey does that too - its usually socks - and he does the prance thing too - with the bum wiggle thing and the body swaying side to side. :D

Melei'sMom
October 8th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Melei has a thing for ears. her fav is my hubby's ears.
she will climb up on him and sit on his chest when he sits on the couch and has to clean behind his ears. she will keep doing it until he makes her stop.

Melei scrates her bed when she wants to lay down too, but she puts the top of her head on the bed while she does it like she is standing on her head.

she does other quirky stuff to...lots...she has earned the nickname Freaky puppy.

erykah1310
October 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Meiko has to herd EVERYTHING and ANYTHING, weather its socks, balls, sticks, cats... and so on. Not really quirky but definately cute. Where ever meik is there is a pile of his possessions. :D Also he has a little island of trees beside the back yard, where he hides ALL his little treasure, but the kongs and frisbee's are all together, the sticks and fire wood are on one end of the island.

Kita, she keeps turning the living room lights off???? I dont know why, but i think she is amused with the fact she controls it ~~somehow~~ Also... just recently has she declared the passenger seat in the truck HERS!! no one else is allowed to sit there or she gets angry.

Puppy, he just has to talk to everyone in a big scary voice when ever they look at him or talk to him. ( Deep grumble grumble groof groof)

Floyd thinks he is a dog at times, he fetches things I throw and stays REALLY stiff when i pick him up, ( doest fold over like most cats)

jiorji
October 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM
hmm.....see now that I have to think about it I can't think of anything to put down. "My pets are normal" comes to mind, even though they aren't. Secondly, everytime I say "my pet does this all the time" they stop doing it and change. weird

let's see...Twiggy comes when I call her and she has her routine in the morning. She curls up near me for some quality time, and if she doesn't get it she's cranky all day. She head butts my hand when I stop petting. It takes me a while to wake up in the morning so i don't do a good job petting :o
WHen I bring my camera out to take pictures of my paintings, there light reflecting from the sun on the lens onto the wall and she LOVES to chase it hehe, so when I pick my camera up she automatically runs to the spot where i usually go to take pictures, even though it may be at night and no light to reflect and she makes those cute attack noises hehe :cloud9:

Peanut has her sleeping spot by the door. WHen she wakes up from a nap she stretches in these weird positions I'm always afraid she'll strain herself. And everytime she sees me putting something to my mouth, food, chapstick, pen...she runs up and meows (assuming it's food) to give her some lol and if i refuse she climbs up and grabs my hand with her paw to sniff what i'm holding. Persistence!:frustrated: hehe
She likes to sit on the floor in the kitchen when I'm making food and if something falls on the floor she's she first to run up and sniff hehe :cloud9:

t.pettet
October 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Annie, my oldest pom won't go outside without a stuffed toy, she will make a detour before going out the door to find one whether its a potty trip into the back yard or walkies down the street, a stuffy has to accompany her. Inevitably halfway down the road she gets distracted and drops it so it ends up in my pocket. Joe, the pom-poodle mix likes to climb onto your chest when you're sitting on the couch and suck earlobes (everyone's) much to some people's dismay.

jiorji
October 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I just remembered something...when Twiggy wants something she comes up to me and meows then I get up and she starts running ahead to show me what she wants. If she's by the kitchen she wants food, if she wants cuddling she'll jump on the bed and during the summer when she wanted out on the balcony she would run to the balcony door :D

jawert1
October 9th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Simon de-tags everything that he possibly can, including my clothing. Any new toy they get, if he gets it from the bag first before I can cut it off, he'll very gently hold down the stuffie, grab the tag, and yank it. I've never seen him actually tear anything while doing this either, which is the really cool part - nor will he eat the tag, just let it lay on the floor at the surgical site :) He's done this to my jeans, shirts, anything else I'm dumb enough to let lay. Peach has a procedure when she lays down - she has to scrape with the left front paw 3x, then with the right 2x, then circle 2x, then flop (it's not terribly graceful either). She never goes over those #'s either - it's always exact, and freaked my mom out the first time she saw it. If she gets interrupted in the middle (like I move about or someone has a cookie), she'll start the whole thing over again. I love my OCD pair!

Angies Man
October 9th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Angie takes her goodnight bisquits into her crate to munch on them. Quite often, she'll drop a chunk and forget that it's there--more than once I've been woke up to the sound of a Std. Poodle puppy happily munching dog bisquits at 2:30 in the morning.

If it's warm enough, I leave the sliding door to the backyard open. She likes to carry out her stuffed toy cat out for a walk and a quick chew. When it's time to come back in, she brings the cat in and leaves it in her cave under the dining room table.

Esaunders
October 9th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Maddie the cat
- doesn't meow but whirrs, trills & squawks depending on mood, essentially talks to people as if they were cats
- is crazy for cheese, pringles and pastry. Loves cookies, pie crust, any flavor Pringles and most potato chips. Will come into the tv room to yell at my bf to get shredded cheese out of the fridge for her.
- head butts for attention. Will take a running start to bonk you with her forehead to wake you up when looking for attention (good thing she's tiny)

Klein the cat
- must annouce he wants attention by scraping his paws on the side of the bed, bedside table or box, what ever is louder. This must occur for at least 2 minutes before hopping on the bed, even if you acknowledge him and invite.

Amos the dog
- sucks on throw pillow corner while flexing his paws like a kitten before falling asleep on sofa
- loves butter, worst butter thief I've ever met. Also crazy for mashed potatoes, preferred to meat????
- must greet with presents after being let out of crate, usually a throw pillow while parading around the backyard. Will go back for more if removed too soon
- will steal shoes and run away with them so ask to be taken out. Will repeat with new shoes every few minutes, always belonging to a different pair

meb999
October 9th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Buster looooves the heat. The hotter, the better. Especially in winter.

Whenever we lite a fire, he lies REALLY close to the fireplace. Like right on top of it. Here's a picture of him lying in front of it, but then he scoots up on the tiles!! He's singed his fur from the heat, and you can't drag him away (he does the same thing a young toddler who doesn't want to be picked up.....he goes all limp and heavy)
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/meb999/fireplace.jpg

If there's no fire he leans against the electric heaters.

rainbow
October 10th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I've had lots of dogs/cats over the years but my siameseX is the only one to try and bury the dog's poop if he's out there when they are doing their thing. It's quite comical cuz he will look at me as if to say "Mom, why won't these guys do it for themselves?" :D

HunterXHunter
October 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM
she will climb up on him and sit on his chest when he sits on the couch

:confused: I'm a little confused: How does one sit on the chest of a person who's sitting? :confused:

phoenix
October 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
My dogs have their quirks too...

Sam watches my mom intently when she is working, and then mimics her actions. for example, she'll be raking weeds out of the lake, and he'll go over, watch for a sec, then use his front claws as a rake and help. He'll also grab hold of a large branch or log that you're carrying to help you move it to another place.

If you don't play with Sam, he'll play by himself by dropping his ball off the dock, watch it float away in the current, then dive in and chase it down and bring it back to start all over again :crazy:

Sam will also obey anyone completely who has a ball. He'll sit/stay for the smallest child as long as they have a ball. He will never grab at it, just stare intently until it is thrown. He gives it back every time. It's like he wants to play soooo badly that he'll do everything not to screw this up!

Sam also talks back. If you tell him to stop, or sit in the house, he moans at you while he's obeying. He also understands an amazing amount of vocabulary. We are astonished at how quickly he learns words.

Maia will not chase balls, but she chases dogs that chase balls, and then grabs their collar and tries to haul them home. Not sure why she does this.

Maia is also extremely attuned to feelings. If you are upset, she has to be in your lap. She gazes into your eyes and gives kisses until you can't help but feel better. She will also, if you are standing, jump straight up into the air and kiss you without touching you with her paws. She is a French kisser (uck!) and always tries for the open mouth at every opportunity. She also cleans her face on a towel after every meal.

Every morning, Sam gets up to say hello and does his 'lean', where he puts all of his body weight against your legs. If you move, he falls down.

Melei'sMom
October 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
:confused: I'm a little confused: How does one sit on the chest of a person who's sitting? :confused:

sorry, maybe I didn't describe that very well. Dh is a big man, so when he sits on the couch and leans back some, he does create a perfect shelf for a small dog to 'perch' on.

ByronsMum
October 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Lately Byron has begun growling at the printer when it starts printing. He will put his front paws down and lift his bum in the air (tail wagging) so that his head is level with the paper coming out (the printer is on the floor). LOL!! He knows it won't hurt him, but he still does it. :D What a silly wigglebum!