Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hysterectomy on my dog

burkey38
February 18th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Hi My dog is quite sick.A month or 2 ago she had a sezerian done on her which resulted in 4 more puppies been taken out of her they all died shortly after.we brought her to the vet a while ago and she may need a histerectomy done on her i would just like to know what the aftermath will be like for and if she will be ok after operation.She is a golden labrador age 10 years.
Thank you
Paul

mona_b
February 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM
OMG....

Poor girl.10 years old and still having babies..:(

Can I ask why she wasn't spayed when she was a pup?

Also,what do you mean by she is quite sick?Need more info.

Also,is it a hystarectomy or a spay?

burkey38
February 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
it was her first litter she had,she just wasnt able.she is getting sick a few times,she seems to be dizzy by walking from side to side she is very weak i have to lift her off the ground before she can actully walk.she jerks a few times like there is a shooting pain to her body thats what i think anyway.we just never thought of getting her neutered.the vet said it may have to be a hysterectomy if the symptoms persist.but the thing is that one of the symptoms for the need for a hysterectomy is losing blood from behind but she is losing none what so ever.have you any idea what this might be and i have heard stories of dogs that get a hysterectomy done on them dont live long afterwards is this true?
Thank You
Paul.

mona_b
February 18th, 2004, 02:09 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..Something doesn't sound right to me.

This sounds very serious to me.....I have no idea why a hysterectomy would help this...There is something more to it.

Has she has any blood work done?

To be honest Paul,I would take her to an emergency vet ASAP..

There has to be more to this....

burkey38
February 18th, 2004, 02:15 PM
no she has not had any blood work done the vet gave me antibiotics for 4 days and if that did not work to get the hysterectomy done which another problem is i cannot afford it.it only started happening to her on friday i gave her water and she has not been right since.
What do you think it is?

mona_b
February 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Well since i'm no vet,I can't tell you what it could be.I'm sorry.

Has she not eaten since Friday?

Also,have you called the vet back and tell them how she has been?

If there is any way you can borrow the money?

She really needs to be looked at ASAP.

Lucky Rescue
February 18th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Having a litter at 10 years old , my gawd!!

A hysterectomy is a SPAY, and this should have been done 9 years ago.

I don't know what is wrong with her - pyometra is a possibility and that is fatal if not treated.

You must get her to the vet ASAP.

burkey38
February 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
what is a spay? i have no way of borrowing the money and can she die soon after the hysterectomy?

burkey38
February 18th, 2004, 06:04 PM
can you tell me what pyometra is?

Lucky Rescue
February 18th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Pyometra is when the uterus fills with pus - this can happen any time but is more usual after a heat or birth - when the passage is open to infection.

If the pus filled uterus is not removed - usually in emergency spay (hyserectomy)surgery - it can rupture and spread poison throughout the body, resulting in death.

Some of the signs of pyometra are lack of appetite, lethargy, depression, pain and swelling in the abdomen.

I am not saying your dog has this, just that it is a possibility. Anything could be wrong with a 10 year old dog giving birth to a litter- it's a miracle she survived at all.

A hysterectomy is removal of the uterus and ovaries - and this is a spay.

I find it difficult to believe that you have never heard of having an animal spayed.:confused:

Where do you live? If your first language is not English, then I apologize.

burkey38
February 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I am from ireland!!
I have heard of an animal being spayed but i just did not know exactly what it meant.my dog is not showing any of the symptoms she is eating fine just weak and tired the vet said it could just be a bug ill have to wait for the course on the antibiotics finish and then see how she is.hopefully it is just a bug.

amaruq
February 18th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Lucky have I told you how much I admire you!!!!!! Lol!

burkey38
February 19th, 2004, 11:32 AM
wHAT DO YOU MEAN?My dog seems to be a good bit better today she doesnt seem to be as bad as yesterday.she is still a bit weak but thats about it.lets hope them antibiotics are doing the trick:)

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Burkey,do you have a picture you can post of her.:D

burkey38
February 19th, 2004, 01:24 PM
here is a picture of my dog jessie

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Awwwww she is a sweetie.

How is she feeling?

burkey38
February 19th, 2004, 01:57 PM
She is not as bad as before i think it might have just been a bug.i hope in the next few days she will back to normal.she started to vomit yesterday just once she has been ok since.

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Just keep and eye on her.:)

Does she have to go back to get checked after the anibiotics are done?

If not,I would take her in just to get checked.

To be honest,the vet should have done a blood test when you brought her in.Sometimes what is thought to be a bug could be something else.And if not tested,then you don't really know right?

I know when something is wrong with me and the doctor is not sure,then I get a blood test.

burkey38
February 19th, 2004, 02:44 PM
yes i know what you mean they told me to bring her in after the antibiotics are done to get her checked over.ill let you know how she gets on.
Burkey38

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Well that's good to hear.

Like I said,ask them to do a blood test.This way you will know for sure.

Yes keep me posted.:)

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 11:35 AM
Just to let everyone know i am bringing my dog to the vet now she has gotten worse she cant even move she has lost all energy .does not look good. :(

mona_b
February 22nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Ohhhhh I am sooo very sorry.

I do hope she can be helped.If not,just be prepared ok.You don't want her to suffer.:(

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
i have had her since i was 7 and i just hope she will be ok has anyone heard any similar stories and what the result was?i would love to hear them.thanks

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM
i am just back form the vet,she has been put on a drip.they said it is a bad sign that she has gone downhill after the antibiotics have finished.they said it could be an infection from the womb spread throughout her body they will be also doing a blood test on her to find out exactly what the problem is.

wAggie
February 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM
my friend's maltese had a Pyometra & had to have an emergency hysterectomy. doggy was 6 yrs old.

verdict? cost her a good $3000CND including 3 day hospital stay for monitoring :rolleyes:

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I really have not got that kind of money i hope i can pay monthly or some other way.

mona_b
February 22nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
To be honest with you,she should have been fully tested when you did take her in.I mean blood work,urine sample.

The vet only seemed to have guessed what was wrong without fully having her checked.She could have had a uterus infection.Could have been a number of things.

It's just sad that he is doing the blood work now when It should have been done earlier.This way he would have known for sure what was wrong with her.

Poor baby.:(

Hang in there ok.

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Dont worry ill tell you all how she is getting on.it was just so sad looking at her in the cage with the drip attached to her.She kept looking up then falling back down again on her face like she got a burst of energy then it suddenly just went.it was not like her at all.:( She is usually full of energy all the time and always eating!!
Just hope she will survive.....

wAggie
February 22nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
take time out to be with her.

she needs to have you around... be strong.

mona_b
February 22nd, 2004, 02:41 PM
I agree.Be strong for her and be there for her.Does she have a toy or blanket with her that has your smell on it?

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
No she doesnt.I didnt think to bring anything like that.the vet will ring us tonight if there are any problems.just please pray for my dog.:( We have to ring the vet in the morning

mona_b
February 22nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Oh trust me I am.:)

Also,would it be possible to drop a blanket or a toy off to her?Maybe this would make her feel a bit more comfortable.And having the scent of you may relaxe her a bit more.

burkey38
February 22nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
yes i will do mona thanks for that i will let everyone know tomorrow how she gets on.Thanks for all your help.

mona_b
February 22nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Yes,please let us know.

That's what we are here for.To help.:)

amaruq
February 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
(((((burkley38 and poor dog)))))))

I'm sending the very best thoughts out your way in hopes you dog gets better soon.

Visit lots with her and give ger lots of love and hugs.

burkey38
February 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
She died:( We brought her to the vet last night and she died over night.I cant believe it,i really thought she would pull through.

mona_b
February 23rd, 2004, 12:55 PM
OMG:(

i am soooooo very sorry.(((((((((burkey38))))))))))

I know this is a very difficult time right now.

But just remember the good times you have had with her.

She must have just been so very sick that nothing could help her.

The infection had to have been more severe then antisipated.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Once again,I am so very sorry.

amaruq
February 23rd, 2004, 01:31 PM
OMG Burkley I'm so very sorry. You did all you could.

((((burkley))))

burkey38
February 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks but when i remember all the good times i had with her i get really upset.i want to get another dog because it is really not the same having a dog around.:( i know ill never have a dog the same as jessie

mona_b
February 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
I can understand.It's part of grieving.

I had a beautiful GSD for 13 years.I had to put him down.It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.He was my baby.That was 8 years ago.I still have his pictures in frames hanging on my wall.I am still not over him.I miss him so much.

I do have 2 beautiful GSD's,but they will never take Cujo's place.My 2 are so very different compared to him.

I just have one request for you.When you do decide to get another dog,PLEASE make sure you have him/her fixed.

Jesse should no have had a litter at 10 years old.It was just to much for her.And I do believe that is why she got sick.

Also,make sure you put some money away first.As you had mentioned about Jesse and tests being done,you said you couldn't afford it.

Dogs do cost money.And trust me,vets are not cheap.They need their check ups,vaccines.Heartworm tests and prevention.Also,they do get sick.And you must be prepared to have the money.

I always put money aside just for my pets.Just incase of a serious emergency.This way they are covered.And with 2 dogs and 2 cats I need to do this.:D

mona_b
February 23rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
This is a pic of my Cujo with my daughter when she was about 8 months old.He was 4 years old.

burkey38
February 23rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
yes i will take your advice.The vets had a look at jessie after she died and said there was no infection in the womb they said it could have been something to do with her brain.Maybe a stroke or similar.:(

burkey38
February 23rd, 2004, 05:49 PM
can i have your opinion on this please?If i get another dog should it be the same kind? (golden lab) or should it be something different to stop me from thinking of jess?

mona_b
February 23rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Hmmmmmm....That's up to you.

With me,I did end up with the same breed that I lost.I grew up with German Shepherds.But I still went back to that breed.

You will ALWAYS think of Jesse.That's natural.You don't want to completely forget about her.She was with you a long time.

Like I said,you will go through grieving.That's a given.

If you love the breed of the Golden Lab,then why not get another one.

wAggie
February 23rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
I am so SO sorry to hear about your loss.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must feel like... I've had Chocolate for 3 years now & I still refuse to believe I'm going to outlive him.

I'm so very sorry. :(

I've never been in this situation, but if/when Chocolate's gonna go, I'd have to get another pointer to keep Honey company....

I simply adore that breed... so I agree with Mona, pick the same breed

burkey38
February 24th, 2004, 07:26 PM
I want to ask something.Is it too early for me to get another lab?Or should i get one as soon as possible?

Lucky Rescue
February 24th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I want to ask something.Is it too early for me to get another lab

That is a personal choice. Some people are happier getting a new pet right away. It takes their minds off their pain, and others will wait. It depends entirely on you.

But if you get another one, PLEASE have her spayed if it's a female.:)

burkey38
February 26th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I got another puppy its a baby jessie!We called her jessie also.She's quite mad but just like jessie when she was a puppy.ill know it will never replace jessie,but its not the same having no dog around i hope you all know what i mean.Its female and we will be having her fully checked,spayed etc.So this puppy will be taken care of properly.Im not saying that jessie was not taken care of she had a great life it was just so sad that she left us so early .I have pictures up on my wall of her to make sure i will never forget her.:) ill keep in contact and let you know how jessie the 2nd is getting on!

mona_b
February 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Well Congradulations on your new baby

I think it's a great idea you have put Jessie's pic on the wall.:)

Please post a pic of little Jessie #2..

All the best.

And yes,please keep posting.If there is anything you need to know,you know you can come and ask us on here.

burkey38
February 26th, 2004, 06:51 PM
No problem i will post one up as soon as i get one on the computer.thanks for yours and evryones help.
Its well appreciated
Paul.

burkey38
February 28th, 2004, 06:56 AM
heres a picture of baby jessie!

mona_b
February 28th, 2004, 08:22 PM
OMG.

She is just beautiful.:)

How is she adjusting?

burkey38
February 29th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Her bladder control is very poor!!But she is getting used to everything thank god. ill let you know how she gets on

chico2
February 29th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Wow,I just read all the postings,you guys all gave wonderful advice,it was like reading a novel...with a somewhat happy ending,with the NEW Jessie.
My tears are running a river for poor old Jessie,but 10yrs is along life for a Lab,isn't it?Don't they usually only live 8-9 short years?
Mona your GSD was incredibly beautiful!!!

mona_b
February 29th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Yeah chico,it was quite the tear jerker.

old Jessie just wasn't doing good.

I have seen a few labs that were older.A friend of mine,her Mother-in-laws black lab lived to be 14.

Thank you chico.He was a great dog.

Here is a pic of Cujo and my daughter when she was 4.

The 2 were inseprible.