Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Better digestion of food and less poop

mafiaprincess
October 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM
So.. We have 3 higher protein kibbles and a bag of dvp.. And I vary slightly what she gets.. No matter how I switch it up her poop is pretty good.. Better than on WK good.. and that was the best poop she ever had..

So after reading some other people's posts, what do you think the likelyhood of a dog with seemingly normal anal glands has of them not emptying right due to poop being of a smaller size? It's a decent firmness.. but it's smallish..

Cider only has had to have them emptied once in 2 years.. And they were not just full.. the liquid wasn't really liquid.. So it's possible that whatever caused it is never coming back.. Since no matter what she couldn't have expressed that like jelly herself..

So while not freaking out, I'm now a little worried about the potential implications of small poop is.. But I don't really want to feel the need to have to add human veggies in there as bulk.. Kind of defeats the purpose of quickly doling out kibble.. Heck, if I couldn't dole it out as fast as I can in the mornings.. I think she'd be only getting dinner.. Sucks that it partially comes down to time.. But I do what I can do..

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
MP, i don't really know since my girl is cursed with perpetually leaking anal glands, no matter what her bum is always wet and stinks like dead fishy :evil: some days she has small hard rabbit poops, other days she has fair-sized normal poops, sometimes she gets the trots, and nothing makes a difference... she leaks :mad: never any problems with dakotah and his poops have always been all over the place. wow i am NO help :eek:

what about sprinkling some benefibre on her kibble in the morning, if you're rushed for time, you could keep a container next to her food dish and just add it in a dash... just a thought? or, prepare some veggies at night in her dish & stick in the fridge, and in the morning just pull it out and stir in some dry food... i know mornings SUCK and there are never enough minutes, however i find that the more i prepare at night before bed, the better i can cope in the mornings... :rolleyes:

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
MAn.. I've had a few people tell me they had big gland issues with their pups.. Excited gland squirters.. scared gland squirters.. Perpetual leaker, man that's rough hun..

Would using benefiber be like powdered Metamucil? (We have that in the kitchen no one to my knowledge uses it though..

Would you wet it a bit to try to get it all 'in' there?

I am so happy with the little poops.. But so paro that we'll have issues again.. Her one and only gland issue got her to find her bum.. Apparently she didn't know she had one till it got uncomfy.. Now it needs never ending cleaning, even when she's having no issues :frustrated:

You are right.. there isn't enough morning time.. I could use getting up like 45 minutes earlier everyday to fit it all in.. but that would be nuts.. Would love to do more.. But I'm rushed trying to fit in my food, dog food and a potty break after everything else. :rolleyes:

Thankfully.. 4-7 more days left and this job is over.

technodoll
October 7th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Thankfully.. 4-7 more days left and this job is over.

for good, or temporarily?... :)

yep like powdered metamucil... they say to take that stuff with a glass of water soooo i assume... it would need some wetting with the kibble? I just bought a bunch of jars of baby-food veggies, they were on sale 3 for $0.99, got carrots, peas, green beans, sweet potatoes, and i am now mixing that in with their ground meats - so they don't have a choice but to eat SOME veggies, LOL! maybe you could add some fibre this way?... :confused: :dog:

mafiaprincess
October 7th, 2006, 09:59 PM
The job will be done done. My boss is a tool.. It's like working with Wiley Coyote.. You know he cuts off the tree branch to fall on the road runner's head and they the cartoon zooms out and low and behold he misses the road runner and cut off the limb he was sitting on..

Every day is like that.... Not nearly enough pay for back breaking labour.. Hope to take these skills and the reference and maybe apply for park maintenance for the city of Toronto next year.. Would pay double for the work load..

Mid November I start ski training for the year, so I won't be out of work too too long. I could use the break..

Cool I could add some powder to her meals with a little bit of water.. Wouldn't be too big a hassle. Neat idea on the baby food. Maybe I'll look into that too as a change somedays. Thanks.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Hmm.. I think metamucil is a fast fiber, so I don't think it'll firm up the stool... :o Aren't peas supposed to firm the stool? We know tomato pomace does, right?:D Maybe you can add some tomato to the food and see what happens.:shrug:

Mafia, I think you just have to cross the anal bridge when you get to it. There's no way of knowing if the stool's doing the trick or not. Even when it is, some doggies glands just produce too much constantly, that the stool just can't empty enough out at a time. Or if they have allergies or irritation, the glands can way over produce too, or cause itching which causes more irritation and more production... You never know.

mafiaprincess
October 8th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Mafia, I think you just have to cross the anal bridge when you get to it.

*dies* OMG. Yeah I know.. Just it worries me some.. Would like to prevent an issue if I can. But I guess since one hasn't happened yet, maybe we are safe.

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 08:30 PM
They're not usually as bad as the cases here... I mean usually, you get some extra licking and maybe some scooting before it gets really bad. Usually.:D

mafiaprincess
October 8th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Cider became a compulsive bum licker... I didn't know that licking was a sign.. only scooting. So I left it. I didn't know.. After a week she was licking all the time.. Every five minutes she'd be at it, and after about 7 days she was so obsessed that you had to pull her head out of her bum, she wouldn't stop on her own..

So I'm a little paro now when I see any bum interest worried that it's the very very beginning..

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 12:31 AM
MP, i don't really know since my girl is cursed with perpetually leaking anal glands, no matter what her bum is always wet and stinks like dead fishy :evil: some days she has small hard rabbit poops, other days she has fair-sized normal poops, sometimes she gets the trots, and nothing makes a difference... she leaks :mad: never any problems with dakotah and his poops have always been all over the place.
Only here on pets.ca ! :p

mafiaprincess
October 9th, 2006, 01:01 AM
LMAO true enough eh..

You think that one is bad.. I was upset over Cider's bum issue back in like april when it happened.. So on another forum someone told me about her excited anal squirter..

You have meat.. dog wants meat.. big puddle of anal liquid all on your rug..
Go for a ride in friend's new van with the dog.. Something smells bad.. she blames her son.. no it's the dog.. big puddle of liquid all on the new upholstery (apparently the stain never quite came out ) :yuck:
People come to visit.. anal icky's on your guests..

I had no idea glands could ummm misfire and act like that till I complained about my way more minor issues...

Frenchy
October 9th, 2006, 01:15 AM
But they (vets) can take out anal glands if there is a problem?

Prin
October 9th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Yeah, they can. I don't know why they don't do it more often (must be a reason).

mummummum
October 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Oh my dawg...I'm sorry, I REALLY am... Crossing Anal Bridges? Dead Stinky Fish Buns? Excited Projectile Anal Squirters ? I'm LMAO. I'm DYING here...Ahem.

Psyllium can be used to firm up liquid poops or soften up hard poops. And I promise you ~ you've never quite seen anything like a psyllium poop. You want bulk ~ you'll get bulk. Odd, freaky bulk but bulk.

If Cider will sit in water ~ warm water and epsom salts work to help liquefy the sac fluid. If she won't do a sitz bath, try a warm compress. Both 2x daily.

Babyfood can be expensive and many products contain sugar and salt. When I do home cooked, I steam my veggies al dente then run them through the food processor until they are minced or if it is a particularly strong-tasting veggie (broccoli = happy anal glands and the occasional silent-but-deadly) I puree it with some liver.

Truly ~ I am sorry for Cider's posterior problems but thanks for all the descriptives ~ I needed a good giggle.

mafiaprincess
October 9th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Well.. We only ever had an issue once.. and it wasn't projectile anal fluid or perpetually leaking glands... So I am one mighty grateful mommy..

It could so be worse. Cider would rather die than take a bath.. and when I force the issue she stands and shakes no matter how soothing and gentle I try to be.. But if I think we have an upcoming problem I'll try compresses.

Be easier if I knew why the fluid turned to sludge that once so we could avoid it again..

I knew someone with a pug that rubbed it's bum on everything and had anal gland issues.. They were having to be expressed 2x a week.. Anything that got fluid on it was ruined.. Vet quoted them such a high price to remove the glands that they refused to do it, and they weren't 'dog people' so they never bothered to shop around.. Something like 2 and a half grand to remove them.. yikes.

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 12:32 AM
hmm.. are you sure? Maybe being that they're not dog people, they bloated that up a bit. I mean, my lab had a 5lb fatty tumor removed for just over $200... Maybe it's a more complicated surgery, but still...