Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kormos vs Bryant...enjoy!

babyrocky1
October 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Mr. Kormos: I'm pleased to be able to participate in this debate. Here we are. It's been a long, long haul. I remember all the way back in the late 1980s, when the drive for regulation of paralegals began. It was a Conservative backbench private member's bill that first provided some sort of legislative framework for regulation of paralegals.

But here we are, having had all this time, and my sad, sad fear is that perhaps out of frustration and perhaps out of eagerness, perhaps out of ambition, we're proceeding with a bill that is far from fully written. This is another Bryant bungle, another Bryant boondoggle. The last time we went through this exercise was with the Bryant pit bull ban, the one that was so inadequately contemplated and considered and so driven by politics and personal ambition and so driven by the media photo op that we ended up with legislation that threw out such a broad net that even Staffordshire terriers were included, the so-called nanny dogs of Britain. Michael Bryant, in his zeal and in his indifference to the evidence -- all of the evidence -- just banned breeds helter-skelter. We urged him to ban vicious dogs, but he'd have none of that. I quite frankly wish that this bill were about banning bad paralegals and ensuring that the ones who are recognized as paralegals are qualified, disciplined and well-trained professionals. But no; just like with the pit bull legislation, Mr. Bryant this time, rather than banning pit bulls and Staffordshire bull terriers, is going to ban paralegals. That's wrong.

That takes me nicely -- I hope the folks who are interested in the precise and specific focus of Bill 14 won't mind -- to the fundraising efforts of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of Canada. They are challenging constitutionally the so-called pit bull ban, amongst other things because a Staffordshire bull terrier is not a pit bull, nor is it in any way, shape or form a prima facie vicious dog. So what they're doing is selling these calendars, and if you want one of the calendars you can go on your Internet, your keyboard, to www.staffordcanada.com and order one of these calendars. It's called "Beautiful Staffies" -- Staffordshire bull terriers -- "and their ladies."

The Deputy Speaker: The member for Niagara Centre, we might as well get it established early: You can put the calendar down and you can speak to Bill 14, please.

Mr. Kormos: But Christine of August 2007 --

The Deputy Speaker: Put it down, Mr. Kormos. Put the calendar down. You can sit down while the Speaker is standing. Now, if you're ready to proceed on Bill 14, please do.

Mr. Kormos: Thank you kindly, Speaker. If I've done anything to offend you, I apologize. If your lunch did anything to disturb you, I apologize on behalf of the cafeteria.

I do want to reflect on Mr. Bryant's persistent bungles, but it is Thursday and people are tired. Some people are going to be crankier than others.

The Deputy Speaker: You know that in this place we don't refer to each other by name. You can refer to him by title. Please, we'd like to hear your debate, but on Bill 14, and in the manner that we're accustomed to in this place.

Mr. Kormos: Well, I'm so pleased that we're accustomed to referring to members by their ridings.

The Deputy Speaker: I said "title."

Mr. Kormos: "Title." Well, Mr. Bryant, of course, is the Attorney General, and he is the member for some downtown Toronto riding. Whether or not he lives in it, I don't know.

Interjection.

Mr. Kormos: But he screwed this up too. He couldn't handle the breed-specific ban legislation, and what's consistent is what that big, brave Attorney General does after his photo op: He sends in his parliamentary assistant to carry the pit bull bill through the Legislature and through committee.

And what did he do again? In the most despicable of ways, the Attorney General fled from this bill. He fled from this legislation. He was nowhere to be seen. It was like playing "find Waldo" --

Interjection: "Where's Waldo?"

Mr. Kormos: "Where's Waldo?", Mr. Speaker? Where's the Attorney General?

The parliamentary assistant did all of the heavy lifting. The parliamentary assistant had to swallow his pride and his dignity, read the marching orders and steward, if that is an appropriate word at all, this incredibly, incredibly embarrassing mishmash through a committee hearing that I tell you observers found bewildering, at times outright amazing and, at the end of the day, thoroughly disgusting: government members voting on sections when they had no idea as to what they were about; none. Your colleagues, government members, voting for sections of Bill 14.

Which of the paralegals is going to produce a calendar to raise funds to defeat Bill 14 once it becomes law? Will they pose with their Staffordshire terriers, like members of the staffordcanada.com club have, or will they pose with Ontarians of modest means who can't afford to pay lawyers and who want and need trained paralegals to guide them through, oh, Family Court matters?

babyrocky1
October 6th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Looks like Miss August is impressing everyone...!:D

I just looove PK! I hope I can catch this during the late night rerun apparantly he holds up the calander in the house LOL This is just tooooo funny!

mummummum
October 6th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Dawg Bless the NDP! Not to mention Staffies and their Ladies... Hoo~HA Peter you GO son!

chico2
October 7th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I never knew much about PK,but he always peaked my interest as an outspoken honest guy,compared to shifty-eyed,sneaky MB full of bravado and selfimportance. Go Peter:thumbs up

Invicta
October 7th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I sent PK that calendar and asked him to wave it around in the liberals faces. To show that we weren't going away, were not going to be quiet and weren't going to stop fighting for all of our dogs.

I was thrilled to see Hansard the other day.

PK sent me a lovely handwritten note yesterday and he said he intends to use the "delightful" calendar in his "speeches". So I have a feeling it's not the last we've heard of the calendar at Queen's Park.

Too bad not every riding has a Peter Kormos. I heart that man.

babyrocky1
October 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Excellent strategy Invicta!
Yes PK has been helping us out BIG TIME... Ive always found him to be one of the most honest politicians ever! I think he enjoys being the outspoken, unstoppable, mp that he is and he doesnt seem to have any political motives, just wants to do the right thing! How rare is that!? I wish the evil Bryant had been there to have been publicly humilated. Zimmer, his assistant is quite the little troll himself so it was nice to see both of them being trashed! Oh I wish I would have been there!

mummummum
October 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Hmmmm...if the Advocates for the Underdog and the Staffy Ladies made an electronic version of the calendar pictures available (for purchase of course) ~ we could insert a picture and caption into all our personal emails. It could also be converted to page-a-day desk calendars, stationary, cards, gift cards, wrapping paper, fridge magnets, lapel buttons ~ I'd buy that!!! (of course, I DO having shopping issues as you know...) :D