Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

10 months old and peeing/pooping in house

lmillslisa
October 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Hello

I have a problem and I am not sure what to do. I have a 10 month old lab/mix named Margo. She is a rescue dog and she came here from greece when she was about 9 weeks old. The problem is she pees and poops in the house. She does know to go outside but for some reason seems to like the house better and to op it all off, she will only and I mean only pee in her backyard. I could walk her for an hour and she will not pee or poop until she is in her backyard.

To make matters worse we just moved on October 1st and she will not pee outside, we have tried everything, bringing her pee out side so it smells familar but nothing.

Anyone with any ideas please please let me know.

P.S. Margo has had a stressfull life so far, she had parvo as a pup then when she got here she had mange (all gone now) and now we just moved....:yell:

mafiaprincess
October 6th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Sounds like the dog has too much freedom. It she crate trained or can you pen off somewhere safe like the kitchen? Treat the dog like a puppy again. Can't be watched, needs to be in that safe spot.. Can be watched should be leashed to you so you can catch her in the act. Can't fix the behaviour if you can't catch it.

lmillslisa
October 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I was thinking the same maybe try going back to the begining and start training again.

Thank-you

mummummum
October 6th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Just to add to the "treat her like a puppy" thinking...you have to go a step beyond catching her in the act and ANTICIPATE her need to pee/poop and get her into the backyard before she does the deed. It will mean going out very, very frequently. You may want to keep a little pee/poop journal to get a handle on her schedule and see if you can detect any of her "I gotta go" signals. Ignore the messes inside from a behavioural standpoint but clean them up extremely well to eliminate odours as these serve as a trigger for her to go in the same spot. When she goes outside praise her like crazy ~ go way over the top as if she just invented the cure for getting old. And be consistent ~ when you learn her "I gotta go" signals and she gives you the "nod", drop everything instantly and get her outside. This is a reward in itself ( I give Mummy "the nod" and then I don't have the "I gotta go" discomfort) she will learn the importance of giving you the signal to get the reward. And praise, praise. If all else fails I'll teach you "The Poopy Song".:D