Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need tips to stop chewing before I have nothing left!!!!

YorkiePoo
October 6th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Hey ya'll. Does anyone have some good tips to stop chewing?? Lily has decided to start chewing everything she can now. I thought by 9 months she might be growing out of that habit - guess I thought wrong. And she only seems to chew up stuff that is MINE and is brand new??? It's like she knows it's something new to the house so figures it's fair game to chew away at it. For example in the last week she has chewed up a brand new head band (of mine), a brand new book (of mine), a hair clip (again mine). The second I set something down on the coffee table and turn my head she is running with it to her bed. I got a brand new pair of glasses the other day and the same day I brought them home I was wearing them to watch TV. I took them off and set them on the coffee table to go get the case for them (which was one room away) and by the time I got back Lily had them in her bed about to chew away - thank God I got them from her just in time!! So while I was grabbing those from her I set the case down on the coffee table (yeah bad idea). I went to the kitchen to clean the glasses she had and wouldn't you know when I get back she is chewing apart the glass case - BRAT!!! She is driving me crazy!!! I know now to leave nothing on the coffee table (also have to make sure the kitchen chairs are pushed in or she gets right up on the table and helps herself)!!! I try telling her NO in a loud firm voice but she just looks at me. It doesn't stop her one bit. I tell you some days I think she is lucky she is as cute as she is or she might get dropped off on a farm (of course kidding!! :p )

Does anyone have any good tips to stop this behavior before it gets any worse and I have nothing left to my name???

jessi76
October 6th, 2006, 08:20 PM
look through the training section.

your dog is 10 mths - i call it the IDIOT PHASE. they're just idiots. they forget training, and test you at any given moment. stay strong, you'll get through. in the meantime, keep everything out of reach and TRAIN a few commands such as:

LEAVE IT
DROP IT
GIVE

provide other new things such as a stuffed KONG, balls that dispense treats, new toys, etc... only use 1 or 2 at a time, and rotate the toys so it "seems" like the toy is new when you bring out one of them.

OntarioGreys
October 6th, 2006, 08:39 PM
You are lucky she is a small dog, that make it a lot easy as her reach is a lot more limited than a big dogs.
But it seems that you also need training, to learn not to put thing in her reach, just like you would with a child, it is called puppy proofing and could save her life, because may small objects can be choking hazards or severely toxic. When she does take something inapproprate, don't simple just take away but verbally correct and trade for what she is allowed to have(you might have to make the appropriate item seem very exciting so she wants it instead) and when she takes then praise her

YorkiePoo
October 7th, 2006, 02:51 PM
My home is actually very puppy proofed. This is something she just started doing in the last few weeks. She never paid any attention to things on the coffee table before - especially a big hard cover book....that is what she chewed up yesterday. I was reading it and set it down on the table and left the room. She got it down and chewed all the ends off. Again she never even looked twice at stuff on the coffee table before and now everything is a chew toy on there to her. Hopefully just a phase and I will certainly try the tips you recommended - thanks!