Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

High Liver Enzymes?

marial
October 6th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help....

My 11 month old Shi Tzu has recently been to the vet due to lack of eating and weight loss. They did routine blood tests and the results showed that my Little Gucci had high liver enzymes. Can somebody explain what this means please and if it is serious?

The vet said to keep an eye on her eating and if she still doesnt eat much to take her back within a week. She is eating a little and taking vitamins now.

I am very concerned and confused because im not sure what is actually causing the enzymes.

Also, Gucci is in heat...well i think she is? I noticed very small amounts of blood and swelling today. This is how it looked the first time so i am assuming that she is in heat.

She seams happy and playful but also sleepy sometimes. Her tail is mostly up and wiggling so i dont know what is going on here.

If some one knows what could be wrong with her please can you let me know.

thanks
maria

marial
October 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I also forgot to mention that her heart rate was 80 per minute and the vet said it should be over 100 for a dog of her age?

OntarioGreys
October 6th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Are you saying she has already been in heat prior?

If so, then this is not likely another heat cycle due to her age but could be a serious condition called pyometra which effects unspayed females and is a uterine infection that can lead to dead if not caught early
http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/pyo.html

THe elevated liver enzymes and heart problems can be a symptoms caused by an infection

marial
October 7th, 2006, 02:48 AM
She was first in heat when she was around 5 months old and we took her to the vet and he confirmed it. Yesterday which is 6 months later she had blood again. Only a ver little bit like she did last time.

Im not sure what to do with this. She seems happy and very playfull!

marial
October 7th, 2006, 03:42 AM
This is my little Gucci:

Otto-San
October 10th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Hi Marial,
Can you find out which enzyme it is - ALT or ALP, and what the results are and the normal range is for that test. My Toy Poodle had an ALT of 128 which went up to 138 1 month later. The reference scale was 5-95. I totally flipped out and did tons of research which I can share w. you if it's a high ALT.

Let me know.