Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No poop in over 24 hrs.

skaia321
October 6th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hi
I brought home my new puppy Lola last night. Before she got in the car she pooped about 6pm. She hasn't pooped again since then. She's eaten 3 meals as well ( dinner last night, breakfast and dinner today). She urinates each time I bring her for a walk, but no poop.

I know that she was previously let out on her own to do her business, but I walk her on a leash..could this be the problem? If so, how do I get her to go?
I'm worried. This is my first dog and I'm freaking out. I know cats..but these doggies are just so different!

Don't know if this makes a difference, but she got car sick on the ride home and threw up twice. She's fine now....it was just the car. She's super playful, running around and is in good spirits.

Thanks!

jawert1
October 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I found that using a catch phrase works wonders, and choosing one that you'll use consistently is the key. My pointer responds to "pick a spot", which we used when we first brought him home to re-housebreak him. When he would finally go, we'd praise him a LOT by saying "Good boy picking your spot! Good Simon picking YOUR spot!" It truly sounded better than "go poop!" to the same end (pun intended) result. Sounds like you'll just have to retrain using a method like that while on the leash, and it really won't take long (maybe a week or so).

Angies Man
October 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Have you changed her food? Might be that the new food is got her constipated.

More likely, the change in home, meeting new people, and the strangeness of of being on a leash has her bowels all tightened up. Longer walks might help, puppies don't require "hard" exercise, keep it fairly calm and relaxed. I would talk to her on the walks, but in a calm, soothing voice.

You should be taking Lola into the Vet for a new puppy check up anyhow, I guess I'd call the vet and ask about this when you call to make the appointment. New puppies should be checked for worms, ear infections, & have some shots as well as the rest of the "tune up." I saw your question about fleas and thought I'd add that an imersion bath or a nice swim will drown fleas. The dog's body need to be in the water for at least two minutes to drown the fleas--longer is better, even.

Your favorite words right now should be "Good Girl!" & Lola. She needs to learn her name and what the boundaries are. Praise and encouragement work much better than punishment and discouragement.

I would check out the food section of this forum, as well. You want a puppy food that's at the least low in corn meal & soy--my Angie (almost 6 month old Std. Poodle) is getting a single protein source food as well (she's on California Naturals Lamb & Rice--and seems to be doing well.) Some yogurt in the morning helps with digestion, digestive enzymes and probiotics, too.

Congrats on the new puppy & welcome to the world of dogs. You have some fun times ahead. (I love puppies!) It's always so much fun to see how a puppy reveals itself as it turns into a dog.:dog:

YorkiePoo
October 6th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'm sure she will go soon enough. We got a new puppy in April and she also threw up twice on the way home in the car. She also didn't poop for I'm sure was 24 hours (maybe not that long but quite a long time). I'm sure she will be fine but if she still doesn't go soon just call a vet and ask them what they think. I'm sure it's just nerves. Once she really needs to go she will - and probably in your house - ha ha. We had a hard time getting our little one to go outside for the longest time. She wouldn't pee or poop out there but after we brought her in she would go (go figure). I started using the phrase "Hurry up" and that seemed to work to get her to go when we were out for walks. She eventually caught on and was fine ever since.

skaia321
October 7th, 2006, 01:06 AM
She Pooped!
Boy, was this the most praised poop in all the history of poops! :thumbs up

Shaykeija
October 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Poop factory now open for business.:p