Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food for Urinary Health

Stacer
October 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Does anyone know of a dry kibble that is good to give a cat that has had crytals and urinary infection. After the prescription food is finished I would like to start Angus on a new food that will provide him with better urinary health, in addition to the wet food. Something that would also still be appropriate for Finn to eat as well. I'm trying to do some looking around myself, but I'm sure I'll overlook something. BTW he had the struvite type of crystals, caused by alkaline urine. I've read that switching to a food that has urine acidifiers, or incorrect balance of minerals in it can actually cause the urine to become too acidic and cause the calcium oxalate crystals which are actually worse than the struvite type. So the balance of minerals in the food has to be quite specific I suppose. Any advice is helpful. What are others feeding their cats that have had urinary problems?

Stacer
October 7th, 2006, 07:24 AM
bump, bump:D

wdawson
October 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM
mine is still on the hills c/d :sad: he has not had any problems since.not sure if the food works,but i'm scared to change just in case it does work.....he doesn't need those problems again.
i'm gonna follow this thread to if there is anything better.

Stacer
October 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Angus is on the Hill's s/d until his urinary pH is reduced and then I think the vet wants him to go on the c/d for maintenance of the lower pH, but I've expressed that I don't want him to remain on the Hill's, so she then recommened the Royal Canin SO, which I don't think that I want him on either, plus I don't want to feed the cats two different foods as it's too hard to keep them separated. There's got to be a good holistic food out there that will maintain a lower pH. I've been making comparison notes for the amount of Phosphorus and Magnesium (the 2 minerals that affect pH) that's in the various store bought foods that most of us use, it varies from one brand to another. I'll post my results when I finish getting it all together.

wdawson
October 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM
please do.......thanks

Prin
October 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Good luck! The only think I've heard that is good is cranberries (keeps the urine pH low), but that's about it. :o

wdawson
October 7th, 2006, 10:52 AM
i heard that too

Frenchy
October 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
so she then recommened the Royal Canin SO,
I was at the animal food store in my area this morning. Royal Canin is the most expensive cat (and dog) food they have. I was comparing cat food and find that Royal Canin is about the same as the other but sells their bag (6 pounds ones) about $10.00 more! With the same "cheap" ingredients.:mad:

mummummum
October 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I give Ceili the mega-cranberry pills (drug store, health food store) and they really are amazing.

rainbow
October 14th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I think you'd have a hard time trying to give a cat one of those. :D

Stacer
October 15th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Is it OK to give a cat human supplements? Cause I would totally do that if there were no risks. I was at Petsmart yesterday and found two supplements for kitty urinary tract health, one was in pill form and the other was a paste. I hestitated to buy either, thought I would ask the vet's opinion,as I didn't want to waste my money.

Prin
October 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM
It's just the dose that you'd have to find out and if the source is the same (if it isn't it might not be absorbable by a kitty or doggy or other non-human). :shrug:

mummummum
October 16th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I think you'd have a hard time trying to give a cat one of those. :D

Yeah... would put a whole new spin on the game "Bloody Knuckles" wouldn't it??? :D One brand is powder in gelatin though so it could always be broken sand the powder mixed into wet food I guess. It is a bit on the bitter side.

Stacer
October 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Here's that list that I've been compiling of the mineral content in cat food that can contribute to Urinary problems. Alot of the manufacturers only list Ash content, I wasn't sure what that was so here's a definition for others who don't know.

"Ash" in cat food is the inorganic mineral content left over when the organic portion has been removed. It generally consists of potassium, magnesium, and sodium salts, along with smaller amounts of other minerals. It used to be thought that the total "ash" content of food contributed to FUS, but recently, attention has focused on magnesium as the culprit. Many commercial foods now list the magnesium content as a separate item in the list of nutrients on the bag, box, or can.

So lower Ash (which includes magnesium and phosphorous)equals lower pH (acidic) urine and therefore helps to prevent struvite crystals from forming.

So here's my list by brand. These are all guaranteed analysis. In no particular order. Also I didn't look at ingredients when I gathered this info, so you'll have decide, good ingredients vs. bad minerals or vice versa.

I made a really nice chart in Word, but in doesn't copy and paste very well in this spot, so if you want a more aesthetically pleasing breakdown that is easier to compare content, let me know and I'll email it to you (please, cause I spent like an hour making it:D ).

Science Diet s/d
Ash=8.0%
Phosphorous=0.5%
Magnesium=0.08%

California Naturals (the brand that we use)
Chicken and Rice
Ash=6.43%
Phosphorous=0.79%
Magnesium=0.12%

Wysong
Uretic Formula
no mineral breakdown available, but it is a urinary formula

Vitality
no mineral breakdown, but aids in maintenance of acidic urine

Nutro
Natural Choice Complete Care
Ash=7.25%
Phosphorous=0.80%
Magnesium=0.085%

Nature's Recipe
Urinary System-Chicken meal & Rice
Ash=80.%
Phosphorous=0.80%
No magnesium info available

Urinary System-Chicken
Ash=2.80%
Magnesium=0.024%
No phosphorous info available

Solid Gold
Katz-n-Flocken
no mineral breakdown available, but claims it protects against FLUTD due to lower ash content.

DVP Natural Balance
Ultra Premium
No ash info available
No phosphorous info available
Magnesium=0.10%

Venison & Green Pea
No ash info
No phosphorous info
Magnesium=0.10%
[
U]Petcurean-GO Natural[/U]
Chicken, Meat & Vegetables
Ash=6.9%
Magnesium=0.09%
No phosphorous info

Chicken, Fruit & Vegetables
Ash=5.9%
Magnesium=0.09%
No phosphorous info

Fromm
Duck a la Veg/Salmon a la Veg
Ash=6.5%
Magnesium=0.10%
No phosphorous info

Classic Adult
Ash=5.0%
Magnesium=0.10%
No phosphorous info

Eagle Pack-Holistic Select
Chicken meal & Rice
Ash=6.5%
Phosphorous=0.9%
Magnesium=0.12%

Adult Formula
Ash=4.6%
Phosphorous=0.7%
Magnesium=0.099%

Wellness
Super5Mix Adult
Ash=6.0%
Magnesium=0.10%
No phosphorous info

Felidae
Chicken & Rice
Ash=5.5%
Phosphorous=0.9%
Magnesium=0.095%

Performatrin
Ultra
Phosphorous=1.1%
Magnesium=0.75%

Innova
EVO
Ash=9.93%
Phosphorous=1.47%
Magnesium=0.10%

Prin
October 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM
hmm... Making me wonder about the Evo RM for dogs with the phosphorus way above 2%.:frustrated:

wdawson
October 17th, 2006, 07:39 PM
you missed the hills C\D.
ash........6.5 max
phosphorus......0.4 min
magnesium....0.08 max

ingredients are not that great though

Stacer
October 17th, 2006, 09:52 PM
you missed the hills C\D.
ash........6.5 max
phosphorus......0.4 min
magnesium....0.08 max

ingredients are not that great though

Oh yeah, thanks! I knew I'd forget something

Stacer
October 17th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I can't decide which one is best, you don't want the pH to get too low cause then the other type of crystals can form, which are worse. I guess choose one of the foods that is closest to the Science Diet c/d mineral amounts. Maybe the GO Natural Chicken Fruit and Veggies.

SnowDancer
October 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Does your cat have a long history of crystals/stones? If not, I would go with the vet's suggestions for at least 6 months and then have your cat X-rayed to determine if there are any crystals or new stones. Our first mini Dachshund came to us with 4 stones which he had surgically removed. He had to eat the canned Hill's C/D for 6 months - and don't think that was pleasant with the gourmet of gourmands - but stick with it we did and 6 months later he was clear and able to resume a normal diet - thank heavens. I personally have an extremely low PH and it makes life a nightmare. Note, if one has a very acidic PH one does most definitely not want to drink Cranberry juice or take Cranberry capsules. If your cat has a long history of crystals/stones then that is another matter. We had 3 dogs when my guy had the stones but I did not feed them the C/D - would have been easier but not fair to them - I couldn't stand the look of the stuff.

Stacer
October 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM
He doesn't have a history of problems, this is his first infection/crystals. He really only had the beginnings of one tiny crystal forming, but he had a wicked infection, just lucky that we got it before he had tons of crystals/stones. You make a good point snowdancer. I can always put him on a good food after the possibility of reinfection is completely passed. I think I'll bring in my food of choice and discuss it with the vet and compare it to the C/D before I decide.

cpietra16
October 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I just came across this site which is an interesting read and it leads to other site with more detail regarding the companies ash contents
http://www.catinfo.org/commercialcannedfoods.htm

Stacer
October 18th, 2006, 09:28 PM
cpietra, that's a good site, very informative.