Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm new!

skaia321
October 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this board. I just got a 6 month old puppy and have LOTS of questions. I've always had cats , so this whole dog thing is new to me.

I have 4 cats now, who are less than thrilled with their new sister. I'm sure it'll all settle down soon.( I hope)

I'm sure I'll be here alot!
Bye.

LibbyP
October 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
If you are anything like the rest of us you'll be an addict in no time to pets.ca. Hi and Welcome skaia321, how exciting a new puppy, you're in for some fun/:crazy: times ahead. Introduce all family members slowly as to not overly stress anyone out, make sure you have some puppy free zones:D that'll make your cats happy. We do expect pics so post some soon, look forward to chatting sometime:pawprint:

the gang
October 6th, 2006, 06:37 PM
welcome and enjoy!!!! this is a form with a super bunch of people, question away, we also need pictures:grouphug:

skaia321
October 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Already, I've found a wealth of information and great answers to my questions.
Here's the girl!
Lola
Will post pictures of the kitties soon.

~michelle~
October 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
welcome, she's a cutie

chico2
October 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Welcome!!
Your new pup is a BIG girl,no wonder the cats are a little perturbed...like Libby says,make sure the cats have a safe place,away ftom the dog.
How is he behaving with the cats??

skaia321
October 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks..she is a sweetie pie. She's ok with the female cat.They pretty much ignore each other. The 3 black cats....not too good. One of the black ones swatted her so now she's chasing and barking at all the black cats. I'm not sure she knows there are 3 different black cats.she's only seen one at a time. My Ozzie ruined it for all of them!
2 Black cats are pretty much camped out upstairs. They have food, water and litter box up there for now....which is not their usual set up , but they aren't ready to venture out yet.
1 Black cats hangs in the basement. He has his whole set up down there as well. Rosie comes and goes through all three floors of the house...cautiously, but she does it.
Lola is confined to the kitchen/LR and Dining room for now.
It's going as well as can be expected!

jessi76
October 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM
so now she's chasing and barking at all the black cats.

as long as you remain firm about no chasing/no barking towards any of the cats, she'll learn. To enforce this in my own house (2 cats, 1 dog) I trained LEAVE IT, and also used a water bottle (for those times my pup had "selective hearing"). a quick squirt stopped my pup dead in his tracks - got his attention off the cats.

lola is adorable! hope to see more pics soon... and welcome!

Prin
October 10th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the board!

To add to what Jessi said, if you're having trouble, you might consider leashing the doggy while you're home to get a better grasp for correction.:)

Good luck!:)

rainbow
October 11th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the board. I agree with what everyone has told you. Your girl is gorgeous and has beautiful markings. I obviously see German Shepard but what else?

skaia321
October 11th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks all. Lola definitely knows when she chases the cats that it's bad..we tell her STOP - Her ears go down and she backs off. She's playing for sure, not being aggressive, just that the kitties don't want a 50 lb drooley playmate just yet!
The cats are moving around better today. Lola and Ozzie were nose to nose sniffing each other, no hissing, no barking, we just praised and gave positive reassurance to both while the interaction was taking place.

We think Lola is part Shepard and part Pointer. Her markings are Pointer from what I can gather. She has the body of a pointer , too. Her Vet appt is next week, so we should know better then.

megan may
October 12th, 2006, 02:51 AM
just want to send my regards and say hello ... i have cat named ozzy as well, just spelled a bit different. actually i have two cats .. ozzy and leo, both my very beautiful and clever sons. i have also been thinking of getting a puppy or another kitten, would you please keep us updated on how they are getting along... your children ( pets ) that is. I don't think my boys will be very impressed with me if i get a doggie, but they know who loves and feeds them so i guess they won't mind for too terribly long... :cat: :dog: