Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Safety - Balcony with French Doors

bebop_cat
October 5th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hi folks,

First post, looking for advice ....

Just moved to a new place six floors up. Rules say I cannot put up any kind of mesh or screen on the balcony. My cat is a total indoor cat, but likes sniffing fresh air .... living room has French doors that open outwards to the balcony. I have put a door security chain on the doors so they only open an inch for some fresh air.

My dilemma, the doors are my only source of fresh air in the living room and sometimes I would like to get more of a breeze into the room.

Is anyone aware of some sort of device, temporary or permanent that would work with French doors?

joeysmama
October 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
I can't think of anything. Would it be possible to put kitty on a leash sometimes and the both of you could enjoy the fresh air without worry?

jessi76
October 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM
If you're handy (or know someone who is) you could build a temporary screen. one that can be removed, and stored in a closet. along the lines of a privacy screen... a tall one, the height of the door...I would build a single fold (hinges in the center), so you can open it up - put it in the door jam, and have a breeze AND security for your cat.

simply build 2 frames, secure mesh w/ a staple gun - hinge the two parts together, and prop up in the door jam. Take it down, fold up, store in closet when not in use. Using lightweight wood for the frame, and mesh... it shouldn't be too cumbersome to move around.

just an idea, if you're handy.