Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog ate pig's ear and is vomitting blood

bostonmomma
October 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I gave my boston terrier a pig's ear yesterday. My husband found vomit with huge chunks of the pig's ear outside and didn't think much of it, except for the fact that the dog ate the entire thing instead of chewing it. Then last night the dog got sick and threw up only food. This morning he was acting normal, I took him out for a walk. As we left the house he vomitted blood twice. I brought him to work with me and he is acting fairly normal now, not throwing up and drinking water fine. Should I wait a few hours to see if he is fine, or wait till he gets sick again and take him to the vet? My fear is that his stomach is torn? Would he be acting really sick if this happened? Can anyone help? Thank you!! :confused:

LavenderRott
October 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM
If you are afraid that his stomach might be torn, why haven't you taken him to a vet?

Hunter's_owner
October 5th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I would call a vet and try to get him seen today if I were you. There was definetly something wrong, and rather than wait and regret it, it is better to act now. Good Luck, and I hope it is nothing serious:fingerscr

mastifflover
October 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I would take him to the vet. I give my dog pigs ears and they are not very good for them especially if they do not chew them properly they can bite off pieces that are to large to digest and can cause a blockage. My dog is a whole lot bigger than yours and I do not give them to him if I am not there to supervise him eating them. Buddy is good with them he loves to chew them till they are mush I guess it makes them even tastier. But honestly they are not a great treat you are better with something that breaks down faster and easier in there systems. But I would suggest a vet visit just to be safe

Pike
October 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Your dog is in need of immediate veterinary care, please post a new thread with an update on his condition when you have taken him in.