Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog diarrhea with food change

barbiegal39
October 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have a 3 month old Cocker Spaniel pup. The breeder was feeding Purina Puppy chow, so we continued with the same. After our first visit to the vet, she recommended Medi Cal Development formula. Although we have been changing the food very gradually (less than 1/4 new food after 5 days), Cody has developed very loose stools. I called the vet, and she prescriped some medication and a gastro friendly diet. Things improved after a few days, so we started to gradually introduce the new food again. Now, the last two days, his stools have become very loose again, and he is up 2 or 3 times in the night to go out. Does anyone know if this can be the new food causing the problem? Should I switch back to the old food and see if the problem clears up? Appreciate any advice, as I am a first time dog owner and not sure what is considered normal!
Many thanks.

vfrohloff
October 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Medi-cal is full of corn and IMHO is a terrible food. Many dogs do not tolerate corn well, it is a cheap filler and can cause digestive upset. Check out the dog and cat food forum for some food ideas.

technodoll
October 5th, 2006, 09:29 AM
i don't know which is worse, the cheap, awful puppy chow or the expensive, awful medi-cal! :yuck: your poor pup needs a break, i suggest checking out the pet-food section of this forum for suggestions on better foods, and in the meantime please give your puppy some digestive enzymes and probiotics to help overall digestion (both can be bought from drugstores, look in the vitamins & supplements section). we're here to help and don,t despair! :highfive:

Hunter's_owner
October 5th, 2006, 09:58 AM
The same sort of thing happened with my dog as well. It involved a swith from a chicken based to a lamb and rice food. Even with just a small quantity of the lamp and rice he would get sick. There was something in the food that he couldn't tolerate. It seems as though you will have to find another type of food, and like Technodoll said there is plenty of info here about different kinds of foods. Good luck:fingerscr

rainbow
October 5th, 2006, 01:09 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of your puppy. :dog:

I agree that both Puppy Chow and Medi-Cal are poor foods to feed. Not only is the corn bad but they have other yucky ingredients as well. Also, don't buy any foods that you can get at the supermarket or stores like Wal-Mart. A pet store is the place to go. Some of the better foods are Canidae, Innova, Go Natural, and Dick Van Patten. Check out the Dog Food Forum here for lots of good information.

Also, check out this website....there is lots of good information there.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

This can all be very overwhelming and I'm sure you will have lots of questions so feel free to ask away. We are here to help. :pawprint:

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I think regardless of quality (which has already been mentioned), your dog is just not tolerating the new food. I think it's time to cut your losses and try something different. You can check out the food forum here for suggestions.:)

BMDLuver
October 9th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Many spaniels have tricky digestive systems. They don't tolerate food changes easily and it results in stomach upset which leads to diarehea. As your pup was on puppy chow, might I suggest until the pup is over the six month mark that you proceed with a middle of the road food such as Nutro Natural Choice Ultra Puppy. I suggest this because it is not as huge a switch as say going to Wellness or Eagle Pack or even more premium like Innova, DVP etc.. You really do have to watch corn and filler content with spaniels as this leads to chronic ear infections no matter how much prevention you do by cleaning regularly, etc.