Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A cute puppy for adoption

morning rain
October 4th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone

We bought a pure bred Maltese puppy a week ago from a pet shop, it has all is shots done and is vet checked. The puppy is white in color, very cute and vigorous. We also have all the supplies like dog bed, gate, training items, leash, puppy jacket etc. Due to an emergency, we are not able to care for it anymore. Is there anyone interested in adopting our 3 month old puppy. We will give it away free along with all the supplies. The puppy is very friendly and we's hate to see it go but then life events are forcing us to take this unfortunate decision. I live in Surrey, B.C. Please contact me for more details via email or a post on this forum. Thanks.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
October 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Hi and welcome,

there are lots of reasons not to give your puppy away for free - you do want him to go to a good home - there is a link here about that which I cant find right now but hopefully someone will post it.

I am not sure what type of emergency you have but can you get a dog sitter until things settle down. If not definately charge and adoption fee. :)

badger
October 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Is 'it' a male or a female? Spayed/neutered (or is 3 months too young)?
You are deciding this puppy's future, so please take the time to find it a good home and charge a healthy adoption fee. If you charge nothing, you'll attract people who take the puppy on a whim (sooo cute!), it pees on the carpet or cries all night so they decide they don't want it and pass it on someone equally unsuitable, or dump it on the side of the road, or abuse it or (it happens) sell it to a lab for experiments or to a puppy mill, where it will be used for breeding and then when no longer useful, thrown away like an old rag. 'Old' - because they're not actually old yet, just worn out and sick and undernourished.
Insist on going to the prospective home and seeing if it is suitable for a small puppy. A family with very small children who would tease or harm the puppy, for instance, would probably not be a good idea (even if they say their children would do no such thing). You're looking for people who actually have the time to care for a healthy active puppy that may live another 15 years.
If you can't do it properly, then please find a rescue group with the experience to do it for you. If the puppy is old enough, they will probably ask you to spay or neuter him/her because rescue groups generally do not take intact animals.
If you have posted what you wrote above on other boards or in your neighbourhood, you are asking for trouble. Simply charging, say, $150, will eliminate people who are not serious or who are on such a tight budget that they only take the puppy to the vet when it is half-dead, or abandon it when it no longer fits in their schedule.
Think about it. I promise you I am not exaggerating.

Dragonfly
October 5th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Only recognized rescue groups are permitted to post listings for pets available for adoption.