Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog/fleas/waiting period

skaia321
October 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Everyone.
I have a question about bringing a dog into my home.
A relative of a coworker has a dog that was recently brought into her home but unfortunately she cannot keep it. The dog is about 6 months old.
I went to meet the dog and she is a sweetie and I definitely want to take her home. She definitely has fleas.
Since I knew I would fall in love when I saw her, When I went to meet the dog I gave her a frontline treatment appropriate for her weight.

I'm going to wait 24 hours before I pick her up. Will the fleas be gone by then?

I have 4 cats at home and can't go through the flea thing at home again. We had a problem last year and went through heck to finally rid the cats and the house of fleas. We've been flea free for over a year and I like it that way!

Should I pick up the dog and take her straight to the groomers for a flea bath before I bring her in the house or will the frontline work well enough on it's own?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first dog and I just want everything to go smooth...I know it won't , but I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. :fingerscr Fleas would just complicate matters even more!!

Thanks

jessi76
October 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Should I pick up the dog and take her straight to the groomers for a flea bath before I bring her in the house or will the frontline work well enough on it's own?

since you already frontlined the dog, skip any more treatments. I would never double up on chemical treatments. Also, any "bath" may wash away the frontline you just applied. Frontline is supposed to work in 18 hrs - but I would imagine it depends on the severity of the flea infestation on the animal.

You may want to frontline your cats though - just to be safe. I would. This way, if any flea finds it's way into your home, it will most likely gravitate to an animal (one of the 4 cats, or the dog) so it's best to treat ALL animals in the house.

good luck and post pics as soon as your new family member arrives!

skaia321
October 5th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I made a few phone calls and they said to wait at the minimum 48 hours before bathing. I don't want to risk hurting her.
I am going to treat the kitties today.
Hopefully this will work! I HATE fleas!!!

jessi76
October 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I don't know your vet (obviously) but mine offers a special... buy 6 applications of Frontline, and get one free. (this helps when you have quite a few cats to treat) you may also find some coupons on the frontline website. Sometimes small rebates are offered if you buy the product from your vet.

just a tip, I only have 2 cats and 1 dog, and I spend a fortune on Frontline. It's pricey, but it does work well.