Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dobie pics for ya prin

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Hey, you keep referencing to your dobies, I had one when i was in college ( not mine at first, it was my roomies but she bailed on him and well I couldnt afford to properly care for a dog then)

Heres a pic of him, he now lives with a wonderful family of 4 ( humans) on a horse farm close by.

His name was Drake.

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Yey dobie! And a red one too! My Hersh was red. Yeah, I miss my dobies.:sad: :cloud9:

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I miss this guy too, He was BAD! ( well he was only 3 months there) he dug a hole in my couch, thouroughly believed the cat was his chew toy and was a daemon in the morning, he would go into "Stealth mode" and destroy things at like 5 am.

But I had him for 2.5 weeks ( after his actual owner bailed) we had a blast.
One day, maybe in the long time future i would like to get another one, another red too.

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Did you see the puppy that I wanted? (He's already adopted)

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM
OF COURSE HE IS!!!! :cloud9:

Ever adorable!!!!:cloud9:

If I ever get another one, im gonna go with a breeder from Germany ( my uncle got his 3 from this breeder a long time ago) its a long waiting list. He rarely breeds and your pup is spayed/neutered prior to the flight.

My uncles ( well great uncle) had no health problems until the day they died from old age and age related problems.

The pups are guaranteed for anything under the sun that can be prevented with good breeding ( which is why it takes him so long to breed)

technodoll
October 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
my two black dobies were the light of my life (in my other life a long time ago..) i so loved those dogs! and they were stunning, if i say so myself... from a local breeder who has superb dogs, both blacks and reds. we even brought our boy to Germany in the early days (we flew him everywhere with us :rolleyes: ) and went to see a big dobie breeder there, he was so impressed he wanted to immediately breed one of his co-owned bitches with him, but we were flying home the day after so that didn't happen (thank god... boy was i young and ignorant then!). the preferred german dogs are generally smaller and stockier than the north-american ones, with shorter necks and snipier heads (less blocky). :dog:

Lissa
October 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Cute dobies! Any more pictures?

There's quite a few on the agility circuit in my area... One of who was in heat at the last match and had to wear a diaper. Another has uncropped ears which looks so adorable!!
I was speaking with another "lover of dobies". She has 3 - the first 2 weren't fast/intense/drivey enough to win so she retired them and the other is so aggressive that she wants to put her to sleep (all these dogs are under 5 years of age). Each time, this handler practically replaced her dobe because they weren't going to place in the ribbons....:sad: Now she has another dog (that she HAD to get from a breeder and from working lines - wouldn't hear of having pet quality!) so the Dobe's get to stay home - like I am sure they enjoyed agility and the training time even if they weren't going to title!

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Thats kinda sad Lissa! The poor doggies,they still would have had fun. and isnt that what agility is all about????
Some people shouldnt have dogs!

jessi76
October 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I love the dobes (especially the fawns)... This is Spencer. :rip: Sadly, Spencer went to the bridge a little while back. Spencer was a rescue... sadly, a rescue we didn't have for very long. He was loved while he was here though.

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
WOW, Jessi, he was gorgeous!
:rip: Spencer:candle:

jessi76
October 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks... yeah, he certainly was a handsome guy... Here's 1 more pic... someday I'll be able to tell the spencer story.

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
what a beauty!! sadly, dobies carry alot of genetic baggage (issues such as HD, cardio, vWB, thyroid problems, prone to cancer, etc) and even the most ethical breeders are battling to eliminate these traits from the gene pool... so imagine not-so-ethical breeders. I have no idea what spencer's story is and am making no assumptions, just talking about the breed in general :) they are wonderful dogs!! thank you for sharing such beautiful photos :love:

jessi76
October 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Poor Spencer's demise was being trapped too long in a cruel environment (read: multiple puppy mills turn great dog into crazy cujo stud who tries to eat people). however, no amount of "crazy" could ever turn me off of this breed. They are truley amazing dogs, and someday we WILL have another (my bf grew up w/ them, all rescues, and I'm sure we will rescue another someday).

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Thats sad.

I cant get over how "perfect" he looked. His coloring was amazing!

Poor guy.:sad:
People suck! :frustrated:

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM
yeah. some people suck!! :mad:

jessi76
October 6th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I cant get over how "perfect" he looked. His coloring was amazing!

perfect is a term I'd use loosely with Spencer. he may look perfect at first glance, but the poor boy had been shot (BB still lodged in his body), cuts, scrapes, many scars, shaved belly, scarring from stitches... He wasn't that color when we got him - we didn't know how nice his color really was until we washed him (he was grey when we picked him up). The poor guy had been through the wringer and back again.

Sad indeed, but his photos still bring me joy. Glad I could share, I'd been wanting to post him here, but, well, you know...sad stories are no fun.

erykah1310
October 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
No, sad stories are no fun. :sad:

But hopefully "someone" may read them one day and it could change the way they either treat their dog, or they could get into action to do their part to help. You just never know.:fingerscr

I am so happy that Spencer got to spend his remaining time with someone as caring as you. Im sure he'll never forget the kindness you bestowed upon him.