Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hoarders

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
What by definition is a hoarder, how many animals must you have to be considered one?
OR
Is it the condition of your animals regardless of numbers?

If I have 30 well cared for cats all spayed/ neutered, vaccinated, properly cared for with the money to afford to do it am i a hoarder?
Or am I only a hoarder if I have 30 cats that arent sputered, vaccinated but are fed?

This term has always raised an eyebrow for me. Almost a prejudice thing imo. Just because someone has many pets when you go by, doesnt make them a hoarder, or does it? ( regardless of the care and attention)

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I think it's just more animals than you can handle. If they all end up skiddish, scared, antisocial, smelly and dirty, chances are you have too many and can't provide each one enough attention.

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
ahh! I see.

I think i have too many cats sometimes, but none of them are skiddish, stinky or any of the other things you mentioned, they are all cuddle butts, but I get overwhelmed sometimes ( then bed time comes and they are ALL there with me purring) that always changes my mind!

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Everyone is different. Some people can properly look after many animals :thumbs up and some people can't look after one. :mad:

susieqt
October 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Well said, Rainbow.

mummummum
October 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hoarding animals is an obsessive and compulsive disorder. I had a co-worker who was known in her neighbourhood as "The Cat Lady" because she routinely opened her home to strays and feral cats, walked the streets at night setting out food for the feral population and trapping where she could for medical attention, spays/ neuters. She frequently had as many as 60 cats in her house. Her house did stink and was usually a riot of cat hair and cat crunchies underfoot. But she would not have met the definition of hoarder or collector. She rescued /took in cats to help them and did so. Hoarders justify these "rescues" with that notion but then do not take action (feed, groom, give medical care etc.) to help, they can only think about/ obsess over their next "rescue".

I think if I had the space, the time and the money I would be very happy as "The Dawg Lady".:cloud9: