Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Digestive Enzymes for Dogs

Lukka'sma
October 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Does anybody know if digestive enzymes can be used indefinately for loose stools in dogs. I was using pumpkin but the enzymes seem so much easier. As long as she is on them her stools are fine but if I discontinue them her stools soften up to the point that I can hardly clean up after her when we are in public because the stool is almost too soft to gather.

mummummum
October 4th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I don't know of any reason why not ~ as long as you are using the natural kind (papaya, pineapple) and not a prescripted drug. But I'm wondering why your puppy needs them on an ongoing basis. What are you feeding Lukka that she is having such a hard time digesting?

technodoll
October 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
yeah... digestive enzymes are supposed to help a dog's body to learn how to digest properly by itself... have you had her blood tested for pancreatic insufficiency?... (just in case they may be an underlying problem).

what are you feeding your girl, and how much per day?... :)

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I don't know if you'd be just masking the problem. If you're sure there is no problem (medical or maybe a food intolerance), then try it out, I guess.:shrug:

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I agree. Digestive enzymes should only be a temporary solution. What are you feeding her? Have you had any blood tests done?