Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Royal Canin kibble- good? bad?

mooie
October 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
BooBoo was eating Wellness Super 5 (chicken) but doesn't like it anymore. Picky eater, I know. The store gave me a sample of Royal Canin Adult 25 dry food and he ate all of it without a problem. Is this considered a good food or is he eating junk again? Thanks.

mafiaprincess
October 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Think the info that goes with it is BS. I don't see their ingredients boosting immunity to disease.. Looks liek a gimmick liek the line of a food for every breed.

Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), natural chicken flavor, chicken, corn gluten meal, catfish meal, beet pulp (sugar removed), brewers dried yeast, salmon oil, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, soya oil, dried egg powder, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), choline chloride, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid], DLmethionine, Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, dried spinach, sage, basil.

Got more things that aren't happy than you'd see in a holistic food.. but it's better than feeding iams or science diet.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Royal Canin is not one of the best foods and overpriced to boot. What other dog foods are available where you live?

technodoll
October 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
i've highlighted in bold the stuff you do not want to see in a good dry kibble:

Ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), natural chicken flavor, chicken, corn gluten meal, catfish meal, beet pulp (sugar removed), brewers dried yeast, salmon oil, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, soya oil, dried egg powder, brewers yeast extract (Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles), choline chloride, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, d-calcium pantothenate, niacin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), folic acid], DLmethionine, Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, dried spinach, sage, basil.

also in the top 4 ingredients, you only have one meat source and 3 grains... making this food more grainy than meaty. remember grains are cheap fillers and should not command a high price! :cool:

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Not a great food (not the same level as Wellness). The reason your doggy loves it is probably because it's sprayed with some yummy (probably rancid) fat.:shrug:

If you want us to help you choose a new food, let us know what other foods the store you go to carries.:)

erykah1310
October 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM
They are really good at this, personal experience ;) hook them up with a list mooie and they will let you know what is the best quality for your pooch and your wallet.

mooie
October 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Thanks, all. It goes to figure that he'd like something that wasn't good for him! The vet had him on Prescription for weight - he lost 15 lbs. but pooped all day and it was like sawdust. He hated that. Thanks to you guys, and some PM with Prin, I had him on Wellness Super 5. He liked it for awhile, but now just turns his nose up to it. He's sampled Solid Gold (?), Eagle Pack (sorry if I don't have the right names), Royal Canin. The store is Picky Puppy and they have all the better foods: Chicken Soup, Candidae (he didn't like that either). Any other ideas? He's got a big mouth and eating the small little pieces isn't helping either. He gets them stuck in his mouth and either chokes or has to work at getting them out! I know, I know, but he is a sweetheart even if he is picky!

technodoll
October 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM
i'd be curious to see how he would react to being handed a raw, bone-in chicken leg (skin removed for those first-timers). some dogs just don't like kibble (they get tired of it after a few meals no matter the brand) and it's best to put them on a raw diet. mind you some picky dogs don't particularly like raw meat chunks either! :rolleyes: but they are the exception and not the rule. :cool:

rainbow
October 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM
What about Innova, Orijen, Dick Van Patten or Go Natural?

mooie
October 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Technodoll, I'm a LOT nervous about trying anything raw at his age - 12-1/2. He also has severe osteoarthritis and is on meds for that. I do appreciate the thought, though.
Rainbow, next time I'm in the store I'll check out those brands. I've seen Chicken Soup, but I'm not sure of the others.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Prin
October 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
My doggies are loving the Evo Red Meat (RM). And the tiny kibbles might be good for the old guy.

mooie
October 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Prin. I'm armed with lots of brands now for the next shopping trip. I mixed the lamb and chicken Wellness together (all the same ingredients except for the two meats) and he seemed to like that better. It also makes gravy which helps, too. I guess if he's hungry enough, he'll eat. This is such a great website.:)

technodoll
October 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM
wow i didn't know your boy was 12.5 :cool: he sounds like quite the personality, LOL! and yup, a LOT of dogs get tired of always eating the same thing.... so adding a little variety to their meals is a good thing to do :thumbs up

Violeta
October 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
wow, 12.5, very impressive, I hope that he will have many years to come :thumbs up

Prin
October 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
You could always mix in some canned too. Merrick, Wellness, Innova and a few others make great canned foods. You wouldnt' have to add much; just enough really mixed in for flavoring.:)

mooie
October 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks, all. I am VERY proud of him. :love: He's doing really well and still has a lot of spunk in him. He tries so hard to run ... his legs want to go and he gets his feet going (I now call them "happy" feet) but his mind just says no - and won't let him. We've had some bad days, but he's a blessing and my best friend and I'm happy for any time I can have with him. :love: For the most part, though, he still tries very hard to be his old self and that keeps him going - that mixed with all the love we have for him. Thanks for your support and suggestions. :)