Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tag Chewing

jessymoka
October 4th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Does anyone have a dog that likes to chew their tags?
Name tag, Rabies tage, etc?

How can you prevent that?
I know they have name tags that screw onto collars, but I don't want to get any of those. I was hoping to just prevent her from chewing.
Her tags have become unreadable

Melinda
October 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
mine chews hers all the time, they have permanent teeth marks in them, her name tag is all bent out of shape *L* If you find a way to stop this, let me know too, I've tried correcting, tried bitter sprays...nothing works

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM
From a rhinestone tag manufacturer: No coating will stand up to a dog that chews on the tag. Proper collar placement, high under the chin, is the only way to prevent this type of damage. Itís not just the pressure from chewing that causes the damage, itís the sharp teeth that can even gouge the metal. If the pet canít get the tag in to his mouth, he canít chew on it.

Couple things: correcting won't fix the behaviour. Correcting & giving something the dog *is* allowed to chew on, and praising for chewing that, will work, eventually.

If you can't do that, then your dog probably shouldn't have tags on his/her collar while they're in the house, only when they're on a walk (ie, when they're distracted by activity).
If you see the thread I started (with poll), you'll see that lots of people don't leave their collars on their dogs when they are in the house, and if your dog won't stop chewing on tags (or unappropriate things in general), then I can see the easiest and most effective way of solving that being taking away whatever they chew on.

Out of curiosity, how does the dog get the tags in it's mouth?

Melissa

jessymoka
October 4th, 2006, 02:37 PM
How the dog get the tags in her mouth...

GOOD QUESTION! :confused:

Her collar is on her not to tightly but not loose either.

But, she is a small dog, she is a papillon. (my mom's dachsie did this to, again another small dog) I guess a big dog could not manouevr their big head to get those little tags.

I don't know how she does it, but she does.

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Well, then I guess you have homework tonight; watch her and figure out how she's doing it. You may be able to find a way to orient the tags so that she can't get them (perhaps a weight on the other side of her collar so the tags rest at the back? or tightening the collar, or perhaps a different style of ring to hang from), or take them off her collar completely. Or take her collar off completely. :shrug: I dunno what else to tell you, though I know if my dog chewed on his tags, I'd take his collar off in a hurry, and it'd only be on when he was guaranteed to be distracted (ie walking).
I'm sure that most methods of positive training (ie clicker) would offer a way to get her to stop chewing on the tags, but as with behaviours that rely on doing something (or not doing something) for an extended period of time, it would take a lot of time and patience to get to the point that she is completely out of the habit. I can ask my trainer for suggestions, if you really want to leave her collar on. :confused:

Melissa

Hunter's_owner
October 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
The only way I figured out how to stop my dogs from doing this is by removing their collars when they are inside. :rolleyes: . Other than that, if you can figure out how she gets at the tag, you may be able to move it somehow so she can't get at it. Good Luck

Writing4Fun
October 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you have one of two issues ... or maybe both. Either the collar is too loose, or the ring on the tags is too big, allowing them to dangle lower than they should. Try tightening the collar and getting a really small ring for the tags (try Michaels). Out of curiosity, why don't you want to get a rivet tag (the ones that attach to the collar with rivets - not screws)?

jessymoka
October 5th, 2006, 03:19 PM
You know what... it's the ring on the collar that is probably to big.

Her collar is definately on tight enough, because after we first got her, I put it on, on the looser side and she got it stuck in her mouth...
naturally I freaked out... if we hadn't been home that would have been SO bad!
So after that I have had it on to a point where it's not loose, but not choking tight either.
I did not realize that you could get smaller rings, duh.:confused:
I have often when I sit there with her move the tags so they are on top of her neck but it doesn't stay that way long... she is a puppy and is wiggly.

I don't want to, or rather feel like I cannot leave her collar off of her.
I have kids... 9 years old and 5 years old.
And I have a husband, 2 years old :p J/K,
And they get home 2 1/2 hours before I do.
As much as you instruct children, and any of you with kids have to know where I am coming from... no matter how much you tell them stuff or instruct they always do weird stuff that makes you wonder where they really came from. Even though the yard is fenced (and Abby is not an outside dog, she is a potty and immediately back in dog, unless out for a walk or we are outside for the purpose of playing) someone could leave the gate open... my kids are careful about it, but there are neighborhood kids and always a risk.
There is also the front door which like most front doors is not fenced in and we are one block away from a major street.
I do not want to leave her collar off for fear of someone screwing up and then her not being able to be identified and returned (if someone would decide to return, because I know they don't) and I don't intend on EVER losing her.... but I'm weird I guess. I don't know.

Also... here is my weird reason for the not wanting the riveted one.
#1 If I see a dog roaming and I don't see a tag hanging there, a normal person that does not know there is such a thing as a riveted tag may avoid the dog, writting it off as a stray.
#2 I have not found a collar that I really like yet.

I told you they were weird reasons :shrug:

okay... but the smaller ring suggestion is great, I never considered that before.
I am gonna try..

dogmelissa
October 5th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Jessymoka: Try the smaller ring (if you can find it). But depending on the size of the tags, that might not work.
A collar is properly fitted when you can get 2 fingers beneath it; some people are more comfy with a little more, but any tighter than that and it's too tight. On a growing puppy, check it daily. If you have a collar that doesn't have specific holes in it (like a woven or braided one), it can be easier to adjust fit, but if not, it's better a little too loose (next hole up) rather than too tight.

If you don't have any required tags that have to hang on the collar, you could consider one of these: http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=5 or http://www.pet-id-tags.com/SlideOnOrder.htm
or one of these: http://gotags.com/collars.htm
But if you have required tags (license, rabies, microchip?), and a smaller ring doesn't work, something to contain all the tags and keep it close to the collar might be in order, like this: http://www.itzadog.com/quietspot.cfm (I actually should get one of these for my dog because he gets stained from the tags).

Your reasons for not wanting to take the collar off your dog aren't weird, IMO, except for the "seeing a dog without tags means writing it off as a stray".... I see a dog wandering around, with or without collar & tags, and I call the city to come and get them (there's a bylaw about dogs on the loose). I don't see them often, but the one I saw last week turned out to have a possible broken pelvis. He was wearing a collar and limping... I knew he was hurt but didn't trust that I could get close enough without him trying to bite (he was in obvious pain!) to see if he had any ID. City came to get him, and he *did* have ID, and the owners were called right away. IMO, I saved that dog's life, cause he may have had internal injuries (they think he might have been hit by a car), and could have died out there. :offtopic:

Anyhow... hope that you solve the tag-chewing thing. Of course, you do have the advantage of having a puppy... you can probably *train* her not to chew on them by praising when she chews on something appropriate. Don't forget that if she's very young, she probably has never had a collar around her neck, let alone tags hanging from it, and learns a lot with her mouth, so it's probably more curiosity than anything else. You'll get it figured out, I'm sure! :)

I gotta run!
Melissa

Hunter's_owner
October 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Yeah, your reasons for not wanting to keep the collar off are not weird at all, they are very good reasons.
Hopefully the smaller ring will work.:)

animatch
October 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
For dogs that chew their tags we have a few suggestions:
- write phone # right onto the collar with permanent marker.
- sew strip of white cotton into a circle just a tad bigger than collar & write info on that.
- There is a company here that makes velcro attachable id bands that go snuggly on collar. http://www.laniche.net/

Sure hope this helps.
Animatch