Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Urinary Tract Infection??????

jessymoka
October 4th, 2006, 11:32 AM
My 5 1/2 month old pup, this morning when my husand tried to get her to go outside (I was sleeping in bed) Abby jumped on the bed and when he tried to get her off the bed she started being on me (rude awakening)... she does not do submissive urination, so I know that is not it.
Then when I talked to my husband on the phone this morning said that she pee'd on him in the kitchen (not exactly sure how that happened).

Now so you know Abby is at that point where she has potty training almost completely down, but we still occasionally have a problem.

My mom said, Maybe she has a UTI? I said, how would I know???? She hasn't been wierd other than today.

Right now, (due to just having two kids birthdays) we are kinda broke.
If she has to go to the vet... I'll have to figure something out.
Here is what I mean.
Basically (not that I want her to have one) if I take her to the vet and she doesn't have one, it will be a total waste of money that we don't have. I REALLY can't afford that.
----I do realize it's not something to let go, and it could be really bad for her and more costly in the long run to wait.... but that doesn't change my current financial situation.----

If we go and she has one, they would treat it.

Is there any way to have any idea if she does have one or not without going to the vet?
Or how to prevent them in the first place (She is spayed)

mafiaprincess
October 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I had a pup that at about 5 months old got a uti. She was using potty pads in our apt and they were tinged slightly red. Had to pee very very often and couldn't hold it and make it to an appropriate spot.

If your dog that was fairly reliably potty trained is innapropriatly peeign all of a sudden, I'd say a uti or something els medical is wrong and you really do need a vet visit..

Antibitics for a uti shouldn't be too costly, nor should the price of analyzing your pup's urine. Take a fresh sample with you and it's even easier.

OntarioGreys
October 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
To check if it is a UTI you do not need to make an appointment for the dog just need to take in a fresh urine sample in for them to check out, if negative it is just the cost of the test. Blood in the urine may not be apparent so you can not always judge that way and crystal if present are too small to see with the naked eye, If positive then you will need to take her in to get weighed so they can prescribe the correct dosage.

It is important to at least take in a urine sample to being checked as it may not just be an infection but a sign of urinary bladder stones forming

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Basically (not that I want her to have one) if I take her to the vet and she doesn't have one, it will be a total waste of money that we don't have. I REALLY can't afford that.It wouldn't be a waste because you would know what is going on with your doggym UTI or not (JMO). She's not going to last long like this before losing her confidence.:(
Good luck.