Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How does a dog's attitude change once they are neutered?

echo1002
October 4th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I have a 5 year old male dog that I am getting neutered next week. I decided to have him neutered because he is very territorial and aggressive towards other male dogs. He is also very territorial with other dogs, whether they be male or female, if the other dogs are bigger than him. Will neutering help calm his territorialness down? How will neutering change him?

LavenderRott
October 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Neutering him will make him sterile. BTW - if your vet didn't tell you - your dog will not be completely sterile for about a month.

Your dog may be a bit less territorial, but I think that if you are hoping that having him neutered will make these behaviours go away completely you will be disappointed.

Please, keep your vet appointment anyway. :thumbs up

Dogastrophe
October 4th, 2006, 10:12 AM
For my youngest terror (I mean terrier) neutering did two things: (1) made him sterile and (2) prevented him from smacking his nuts on the edge of the couch everytime he leaps over top of it. It did nothing to change his attitude or outlook on life (I was glad that it did not change his personality).

Frenchy
October 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
It's very different from dog to dog.....you will have to wait and see! But it only brings good things (neutered male :thumbs up )

coppperbelle
October 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I second all of the above. Have him neutered as soon as possible. As for it changing his personality it may for the first day or so while he is still under anaesthetic. After he wakes fully he will probably be back to his old self. I would suggest enrolling yourselves in obedience training. That will help with his disposition.
Neutering a puppy sometimes has an effect on the way they behave later on but neutering a 5 year old will probably change nothing except he will no longer be able to procreate.

echo1002
October 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
How do I search for an obedience class in my area? I live in what you would call a rural area, the nearest large city is over an hour away. Are there any websites I can look at, or are there any book suggestions?

LavenderRott
October 4th, 2006, 12:25 PM
You could start here;

http://www.magicyellow.com/Iowa/Dog_Training/Cities.html

What kind of dog do you have?

echo1002
October 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM
My dog is a chow/lab mix, I think. I adopted him, and they weren't sure, but when I took him to the vet,that is what they presumed him to be. I recently adopted another dog, a spayed female, who is a collie/lab mix. I was hoping the neutering of my present dog would help with him being territorial, but, unfortunately, it sounds like it won't. I'm not so sure that training would even help him.:sad:

LavenderRott
October 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Training is about so much more then just teaching your dog to sit. You learn how to "read" your dog and correct unwanted behaviours while they are still a thought in your dogs head. The two of you will bond - I don't know how many times I have heard people say that the bond that they thought they had with their dog was nothing compared to what it was after completing a class or two.

Look into it. Don't use a trainer who thinks you need an electronic collar or anything fancy. You should start out with a regular buckle collar and a pocket of treats. If a trainer tells you to do something that you think is cruel - it is. It isn't the '50's - nobody who knows what they are doing advocates beating a dog into submission anymore.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
The neutering will help a little with the territorial problem. It will help more so for future health problems like testicular cancer.

Obedience/behaviour classes will also help. Your vet should be able to recommend someone in your area. Keep us posted. :dog:

echo1002
October 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Well, I did some research on trainers in my area, and the nearest one is almost 100 miles away from home. That won't work for me. Does anyone know if getting a book and trying to do the training by myself will help? Any book recommendations?

By the way, thanks for all the posts. You are all giving me rays of hope!:thumbs up

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
2 huge suggestions:
1. TV shows. No they aren't always 100% right or perfect for you, but look into the availability of the show Good Dog (Canadian produced, may not be available there, but I have a bunch on DVD) and the show The Dog Whisperer (I get this, but haven't personally watched it).

2. Clicker training resources (a method I 100% advocate for):
http://www.clickertraining.com/training/clicker_basics/index.htm?loaditem=what_is_ct (they have kits, books, videos, etc, so you can do it all in the comfort of your home)
http://www.sitstay.com/store/books/clicker1.shtml (books you can buy from them also include some from the above link's author)
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/clicker.html (basic resources including a book list)

You may also be able to find a trainer in your area who is willing to come to *you* to work with your dog, rather than you going to them. It costs quite a bit more, usually, but it might be worth it.
I found one training place that's not 100 miles from you:
ALL OVER ROVER
641-923-0903
390 STATE ST
GARNER, IA 50438
34.2MI from Bancroft
They might be worth looking into. Personally, I drive something in the order of 30km (19 miles) through the city (ie, traffic!) to get to my vet. My drive to the training facility isn't far (10 minutes), but to go to the trainer I go to, I'd drive an hour each way. But that's just me.

I hope that helps. Neutering *can* help ease the territorialness/aggressiveness of a male dog, but it's not a guarantee. You really will have to take the lead with him and show him that he's NOT the boss (can do what he likes), and that first and foremost it's *your* home and *you* will protect it, not him. You will be able to get that point across through training.

If you want any of the Good Dog episodes (I can think of at least 2 which may help), PM me and we can arrange something.

Good luck,
Melissa

LavenderRott
October 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
If you train using methods you have seen on t.v. please remember that much of the actual training is cut out so that the dog's problem and the well behaved dog after training can be shown in one half hour or hour long episode.

There is a book out called "Training for Dummies". While the title might be offensive - it is a good book.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I found one training place that's not 100 miles from you:
ALL OVER ROVER
641-923-0903
390 STATE ST
GARNER, IA 50438
34.2MI from Bancroft
They might be worth looking into. Personally, I drive something in the order of 30km (19 miles) through the city (ie, traffic!) to get to my vet. My drive to the training facility isn't far (10 minutes), but to go to the trainer I go to, I'd drive an hour each way. But that's just me.

I don't think 34 miles is too far. We drove 30 miles to go to our dog obedience classes and it was well worth it IMO.

dogmelissa
October 4th, 2006, 03:44 PM
If you train using methods you have seen on t.v. please remember that much of the actual training is cut out so that the dog's problem and the well behaved dog after training can be shown in one half hour or hour long episode.

Yes, I agree... but they often show the "concept" behind the training.. the "how to teach this" and *that* information can be very valuable. I find that Good Dog does a pretty good job showing the actual method for training a behaviour, but I can't speak for any other shows. I'm sure that most training shows don't say "we're going to teach a dog to sit today" and then immediately show the dog doing as it's told, without explaining the how-to part of things. But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. *shrug*

You can order video (DVD?) copies of all the Good Dog Episodes through the company that produces them, as I only have a few episodes (10?) that I've recorded with my PVR. I can get you info on how to do so if you'd like.

Melissa

MyBirdIsEvil
October 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
That won't work for me. Does anyone know if getting a book and trying to do the training by myself will help? Any book recommendations?

The only book I know to recommend offhand is Cesar's Way, by Cesar Millan.
It has a lot of good information on dog behavior, and curbing aggression, but not any info on teaching commands, if that's what you're looking for.
You can curb your dogs behavior on your own, but it depends on how much time and effort you put into it and how patient you are. It also depends on how structured and stable you're willing to make your dog's enviroment, which is what a dog needs, especially one that exhibits aggression.

I agree with everyone else that neutering won't necessarily make aggression problems any better.
A 5 year old dog that's already learned to exhibit that kind of behavior is probably going to do it whether he's neutered or not, and the only thing that would help is a structured and stable enviroment and consistent training.

---
I also meant to add that you can find the same advice online that you can find in books, it just takes a bit more searching and some common sense.
If you type "Dog behavior" into google you should get a lot of helpful results. If the methods you find seem to forceful, inhumane, or don't make any sense, then just ignore them and find a different website.
You could probably post on here and ask about it too, just to make sure the info is ok, and the best part about it is it's free :thumbs up .

Frenchy
October 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I was hoping the neutering of my present dog would help with him being territorial, but, unfortunately, it sounds like it won't. I'm not so sure that training would even help him.:sad:
Maybe he will be less territorial after neutering,you never know,it's different from one dog to another.And my opinion is ; the training classes will help to teach him who's boss ; you.So he won't feel like being the boss of him and to others. I had a foster once who was food agressive towards my dogs.This dog was used to be on his own (was a stray for months) someone told me to put the leash on him,attach the leash to me and go about my things in the house.He didn't have a choice,you (dog) follow me (humain/boss) I didn't have time to do this alot (with 3 other dogs in the house) but I did see a difference! Don't give up!

OntarioGreys
October 4th, 2006, 08:42 PM
WIth adult greyhounds i have noticed slightly less dominance displays and lower urge to mark their territory so helps to reduce the urge to mark inside the house, it does not wipe out the behaviour completely just reduces the persistent urges, as mentioned it takes about a month for the testerone to clear their bodies . In pups it helps to prevent the behaviour for starting which is why it is good to have them neutered at 6 months as most of this behaviour will start between 7 to 9 months of age

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I was going to answer, but OG said everything... Change "Greyhounds" to "mutts and other dogs", and it's my post.:D