Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

troubled kitty

monaleesa9
February 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
i have been reading some of the other notes and i see a lot about how young cats are biting.. well i have the same problem i got my cat when she was 9 weeks and she is now 7 months old, she is soooooo bad, she bites, she pounces on me and climbs up my body to my head,, and that hurts a lot!! she doesnt sit in my lap but sometimes she will lay next to me in the bed. another habit that she had is she nurses on my fuzzy pillow, she had been doing this since i got her. i thought it was cute at first but now i feel like she misses her mom and i take the pillow away from her but it hasnt stopped her from doing it over and over. if anyone has any advice for me plase help!!

amaruq
February 18th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Cats biting is a no no! Cats have a dirtier mouth then dogs.

With the biting I would growl or yell no and turn away from the cat. No playing! They will get the idea soon enough you don't like it.
With the cats nails...do you clip them...if not start today. Them things are like needles. I do mine once a week.

Sucking on the pillow sometimes is a sign they were either weaned to fast or taken away from the mother. You could put the pillow up or put pepper on it so they won't suck on it. But what always seems cute when they are young always turns out bad when they are older.

chico2
February 18th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Oh Amaruq,you're tough,pepper:confused:
I would give the poor thing a pillow she can use,eventually she'll get over it.
Many people say the kittens bite,is it during play(which you can expect)or is she biting angrily? There is a difference..
My hands used to look like a road map when Vinnie was little because I always played with him with my hands(not recommended!).
I have great experiences of crazed cat-bites ending up in the ER a couple of times.Yes,the cat is still with me

:)

amaruq
February 18th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Personally I didn't care if mine sucked on an old rope the dogs had. I thought it was quite funny. She did grow out of it...but if the person wanted a quick solution..pepper is the best one. Didn't mean to offend :)

chico2
February 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM
You didn't :) :D :) :D :rolleyes:

mona_b
February 18th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Well my little Casper turns into Cujo.LOL

He's fine one minute.All lovey,licking and kissing.Then BAM,he attacks.He does the side step,head cocked to one side and ears back.Then the attack.And man does he bite hard.Or he will cuddle with you.Then when we start to pet him,again,he starts to attack and bite.And we have tried everything.Oh did I forget to tell you,he's deaf and only 5 months.:( ......I tell you,this has been such a challenge for us.......And the thing is chico,we never used our hands to play with him.He's got tons of toys.And his favorite stuffed ducky......He also has his own blanky that he sucks and kneads on.It so cute when he does this.His eyes go all squishy liked he's constapated.LOL....I had a cat for 13 years and he did the sucking thing to.I have been told is some kind of comfort thing...Go figure.

amaruq
February 18th, 2004, 08:14 PM
The sucking is a comfort thing. It's like the is a Mommies nipple there. I have a picture of Sunny around here some place that she is doing her sucking thing.
Brandy is the deaf one and loves to be cuddled and loved.
My Mom's cat is a nut head and does the side step thing and attack thing. He is a card I tell you and well not to scare you he is 4 yrs old.
Mona does your kitten make sounds? Mine makes a sore of squeak..like a sqeaky toy...similar but not. No way near a meow.

Looking4Mittens
February 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM
AGh! My cat is a bitter! It's usually out of anger... but sometimes for no reason. Like she'll be sitting on my legs, or tummy and all of a sudden attack! She usually goes for the arms though and I usually have a sweater on so it doesn't hurt too bad.

But the thing she's doing now is hitting!! We keep her nails short, but i still usually get small cuts on my hands, not too deep. And a couple times she's swatted at my face! I tell her NO! all the time, but she is like a child and never listens :rolleyes: Another thing is sometimes she'll hiss... and she's never done this before :mad: i guess she has a hot temper now that she's 10!

mona_b
February 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
amaruq

Casper has a cute little short meow.But as soon as he turned 4 months,OMG,he is soooooo loud now.I was told deaf cats are more vocal..

Also I noticed that if he can't find us,he will sit and meow.Since he can't hear us calling,we have to go to him so he knows we are still around.He also loves to suck on our finger.He snorts when he does it.LOL

chico2
February 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Mittens...if she is hissing at you,she must be somehow stressed and unhappy.I guess cats like people have different temperaments,but you should tell your vet how she is behaving.
You don't hit her or anything like that,do you?
A cat if frightened and insecure will show it in anger....
One of my cats,Chico,when cuddled will give a love-bite and sometimes a little harder than I like..
Lucky(Rescue) can probably give you better advice,she is not on right now,but I am sure she will answer you.
Also,have you made sure the cat is not in pain in any way,that she is healthy?

Moa and Amaruq,you think your cats are strange? My Rocky snores louder than my husband:D

Looking4Mittens
February 18th, 2004, 10:58 PM
^ if our cat is sitting on us, and just bites we will give her a "spank" And I forgot to mention that the only time she will hiss is if we are holding her against her will i suppose..like if i want her to sit with me and she doesnt want to, she'll growl, then hiss (She has a right to be mad and that i understand) Another reason why she'll hiss if she sees other cats on our porch through the window... she hates other cats... i guess it cuz she's the "only child" lol

So really, the only thing that i don't like (i know i deserve the scratch or bite when i'm holding her) but when she is sitting there on her own will, I don't undertsand why she'll suddenly attack (which hurts more than when she's mad about me holding her) cuz i'm not reading for it.. and going at the face.. she's never done that before.

Looking4Mittens
February 18th, 2004, 11:05 PM
One more "wierd" thing about my cat! haha I dunno, she always seems to be hungry! We feed her 2 times (once in the morning with soft food, and once at night with dry food) We CANNOT leave the bowl full of food during the day as I have heard other people do. The reason is, that she'll eat it ALL right away! If you are eating something she'll be do desparate to get some (even if she's just eaten!) she swat at you to get it!

She also eat sooooo fast and then meows for more. I'm not sure how much my mom feeds her I think it's like a table spoon of soft food in the morning and a quarter cup of dry food in the night (and the vet said this is enough) but the poor thing always seems hungry (we give snacks too) But it seems the more food we give, the more she'll want. She never seems satistfied.. we aren't sure what to do.. because during the night she'll eat garbage (or raw skins like yesterday) we even find half eatten Ziplock bags... this is becoming more of a problem than the bitting actually. Any adivce would be greatly appreciated (epcially for my mom, who is very frustrated at this point)

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 12:02 AM
LMAO @ chico

My hubby snores,Tron and Yukon breath hard,Casper is ok till 3am then bugs the dogs and wakes them up cause he wants to play.They both get up and take off.Casper chases them.Then they turn around,both walk towards him and he takes off.LOL.

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Mittens,sounds like kitty isn't getting enought food.

Try breaking it up.Since you can't leave dry food down cause she eats it all.Give her half a can(small can) for breakie,some dry for lunch and the other half of the can for dinner.

My 2 year old Calico(at dads) gets half st breakie and half at dinner.But she has her dry food down.She isn't a piggy so it can be put down.

With Casper our 5 month old.We feed him 3 times a day with the can.One can does 3 feedings.We are giving him a bit more as he's gotten older.

Give it a try and see what happens.

chico2
February 19th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Mittens,you are right,most cats do not like being carried around or forced to sit if they don't want to..
My "foundling"Vinnie(1 1/2yrs old)seems to never let go of"better eat now,it might be the last"we are not sure,but the way he was found,he must have been scrounging for food outside on his own...now,when I put down 3 dishes for 3 cats,I have to watch because he would eat everyones food if I let him,the others are more finicky..Vinnie already weighs 15 pounds,so I have to be careful.
Cats are"munchers"they will eat a little and then come back for more,kittens should eat about 4 times a day..When your kitten only gets fed morn and night,she is probably starving during the day..
Dry food and fresh water is to me a must to leave out for the cats.
If your cat is left alone all day without food,I am not surprised she,ll eat anything she can find..
Where did you get her from,maybe she had some trauma in the beginning of her life?
Maybe you should get her a companion,two cats are always better than one!

chico2
February 19th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Oops,I got mixed up(again:D )Monaleesa9 was the one with a kitten,Mittens your cat is 10yrs old?

Looking4Mittens
February 19th, 2004, 10:48 AM
^yep, my cat is 10.. but the vet says she is very healthy and active for a 10 year old cat and by looking at her, he says she looks to be around 4 or 5 only!

As for the idea of 3 meals... this sounds like a really good idea. I think the poor thing is really hungry through the day (cannot get her a companion...she doesn't get along well with other cats, at all!)

We do know the reason why she eats so fast... and gobbles up everything tho. It's because when we got her (at 6 weeks) the people who had her had lot's and lot's of cats.. and the dumb lady would put 1 big bowl of food down for all the kittens and cats she had... My cat (Mittens) was one of the bigger kittens, which means she would be the fastest and gobble down the food first, i would assume. A few of her brothers and sisters in that same littler were so skinny..

My theory is that she's still traumatized from having to fight for food when she was a kitten, that she still fears that some other cat will come and eat her food. Which is probably why she's always hated other cats (she thinks they're gonna steal her food!)

amaruq
February 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Ok don't think me a bad mom ok????? But when my girl was small she would go pick up the cat and hold it and hold it making the cats very upset. I told her and told her not to do it...that the cats hated it. Nope she said and continued. So one day I had enough and she wasn't listening. So I pinned her down and held her and held her..she was screaming bloody murder. I asked her calmly if she liked it. NO!~!!!!!!!! then I asked her if she still thinks the cats should be held like that ....NO!!!!!!!! She never did it again. Sometimes people have to learn by example.

I agree with leaving out more food for kitty. Dry cause canned stinks lol!

mona_b
February 19th, 2004, 11:25 AM
No not a bad mom at all.

That was a great idea.:D

wAggie
February 22nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
I haven't much to add to this thread.

My cats only bit me if I rubbed them lower down on the tummy.

so I didn't do it.

:D :D

btw, Chocolate used to snore like you wouldn't believe when he was younger... simply amazing lolol