Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

a food mix up

pitgrrl
October 3rd, 2006, 09:43 PM
I make home made food using a base. I recently bought a bag of this base and didn't notice that it smelled a bit weird till I'd made the food.
I forgot that i'd left that batch in the fridge and so instead of being thrown out, as I'd intented, the BF accidentally fed it to the dogs for a couple of days.
I had been noticing that Basil had loose stool, but didn't really think anything of it till I realized they'd been eating the "bad batch" of food. Since neither dog is showing any signs of illness, should I be worried?

These are the ingrediants, incase that makes a difference:

iNGREDIENTS: Human grade stone ground: whole brown rice, amaranth seed, millet seed, sproutedbarley, ground apple, pure Acadian sea kelp, wheat germ (toasted), whole ground carob,goat milk powder,* calcium carbonate (poultry shell), whole ground almonds, parsley, ginger root, garlic, marjoram, & basil.

Lissa
October 3rd, 2006, 10:42 PM
I wouldn't be too worried unless they start showing other symptoms or their stool doesn't get back to normal within the next couple of days. So long as they are still eating (a good batch:)) and are hydrated, I wouldn't worry!

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I agree with Lissa. Just keep an eye on them and their poop should be back to normal in a couple of days. If not, or other symptoms develop, then a trip to the vet will be necessary. Keep us posted. :fingerscr

pitgrrl
October 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM
thanks!
My first impulse is always to run to the vet for everything, but I'm not entirerly sure she could do anything in this case. I guess I'll just keep an eye on them.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I presume your doggies are still okay. :fingerscr BTW, did you take the bad bag of food back to the store for replacement?

pitgrrl
October 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
the dogs still seem fine, and their poop is back to normal, so it should be okay I think.
The store I got the food at is not in the same city as I live in, but I do plan to call them when I get a minute.