Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

There's a strange cat in my bathroom.

LM1313
October 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
So today I took the kitty boys out for a walk, individually. First Remy. He did very well and was less spooked by usual. Then Booster. Well, suddenly I look down and there's another cat nose to nose with Booster. Booster stared at her, apparently as stunned as I was. He didn't make any noise or arch his back, but his tail slowly started poofing out. :eek:

I pictured me holding a leash with a cat fight at the other end and quickly snapped my fingers to distract the other cat and move it away from Booster, which it fortunately did. With my other hand I petted Booster and told him what a good boy he was and miraculously he calmed down and unpoofed his tail. :thumbs up

The other cat didn't seem phased by him at all, just curious. So curious that when I picked up Booster and moved to a different part of the lawn, she followed me. Every time I moved him, the cat was close behind. By this time Booster had stopped being cautious and was just as curious, so he didn't help . . . Just continually wanted to sniff the other cat as I tried to herd him away. :rolleyes:

Anyway, finally I went back to my apartment and guess who sat on my step. Yep. I started worrying about whether she was lost/abandoned. People who live in this complex are required to keep their cats indoors except on a leash BUT we all know some people break the rules! So I went back out with a bowl of cat food, which she immediately dug into. Her ribs are very easy to feel under her fluffy coat . . .

After she finished eating she was STILL sitting out there. I started worrying that she'd be stuck outside at night--it's beginning to get cold at night--so now she's in my bathroom.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to keep her from her family if she has one, but I don't want to turn her out if it means she'll be cold and hungry. :confused: I wish everyone with an indoor/outdoor cat would put a collar on them!! If she is homeless, I'd love to keep her, even if it means hiding her from the apartment managers until I get a house. She's just lovely and sweet.

Here's a picture of her:

http://www.superpony.com/Images/Kitty.jpg

jiorji
October 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
why not post a notice on the building door saying that you found a cat and that if someone's missing it they should call you

she\s cute by the way

Frenchy
October 3rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
She's a beauty! My opinion on stray animals (some won't like this one!) no collar,no owner.If you want to keep her,I say go ahead.I bought a collar and ID'S for Monsieur le chat even before he got here,and I don't even let him go outside.It was only in case he would bolts out the door and get away.He always wears it. Even if an animal has a microchip,it should have a collar with ID.So...are you keeping her? :D

joeysmama
October 3rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
She's such a cutie ! I would definitely keep her. I guess you should look to see if anyone lost thier kitty, but..........no collar, outside unattended, hungry, skinny. Maybe they weren't the greatest pet parents to begin with.

You can tell I would talk myself into celebrating the new addition. :cat:

Frenchy
October 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Oh yes right,she's skinny too (poor baby) ,one more reason to keep her :thumbs up no pressure at all here :D

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
frenchy i must disagree with your theory, my kitty, no matter how many times i try putting a collar on him he sneaks his way out . however i keep him inside at all times unless he's on the balcony with me..... maybeyou should just put some flyers up around the neighbourhood..... you may think no collar no owner, but there are those safety collars that release if the kitty gets caught on something, so it doesnt choke. It may be a little boy or girls kitty and they may miss her dearly. But shes super cute!

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
She's a beauty, I'd keep her! Personally, I couldn't in good conscience keep her without first trying to find out if she has a family. :fingerscr :fingerscr that she doesn't have a family:evil: :D

jiorji
October 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
good suggestion...what if she did have a collar and it broke off and she came to you to help her? What if she accidentally got left outside?(happened to my neighbour across the hall...cat snuck out in the hall and she closed the door thinking everybody was in , and poor cat came to scratch on my door to help her)

I'd at least try to find her home. Someone's probably missing, maybe they're not, who knows, you have to find out. What if your cats snuck out and you were looking for them and someone had them and they didn't say? You'd assume the worst right??
I'd freak out and i'd be extremely depressed if my cats snuck out and got lost. I do my best and then some to make sure they don't for that reason, bu most cats WILL do anything to sneak out. Ungrateful fur balls :o

GOod luck LM

Frenchy
October 3rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
Yes but guys,she's skinny !!! So probably means she is not getting food everyday.....

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM
you cant always jump to assumptions and if you are (i personally) like to assume the best, she couldve been missing for weeks and thats why shes skinny... you can aleast try to find her owners. if they weren't feeding her or abusing her they're probably happy to have her gone and wont call abusers generally dont go looking for their missing pet, but it could be a loving family that misses their pet dearly. cats are small aniamls and it doesnt take them too many days without food to start looking starved. is she showing signs of anyother maltreatment?

jiorji
October 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
I didn't think she was skinny...:confused:
she could just be arching her back weird. SOme cats are really slim naturally. If you met my Twiggy you'd think i'm neglecting her. She's petite.

LM1313
October 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
She's definitely had a home at some point, as she's very friendly. She's okay aside from being skinny. (At least, her ribs feel very prominent in my opinion. It's hard to tell if she's actually skinny since her fur is so long. I do know what you mean about some cats being naturally skinny, for ages Remy looked like he was a starving alley cat, and that's when I was free-feeding the boys!)

Okay, here's where we stand at the moment. First I wrestled over whether I should keep her overnight in case she didn't have a home or let her out in case she did. Finally I did let her out. Then about fifteen minutes later I felt horrible and guilty for letting her out, so I went outside. I didn't see her, which I told myself was a good sign since she must have gone home, but I still felt guilty.

Then Booster started dramatically moaning and rolling around and pitifully staring out the window. (Both my kitty boys are neutered, in case anyone's wondering. HOPEFULLY this stray cat is spayed, but who knows.)

Finally I got the bright idea of putting Booster on his harness again and taking him outside. The other cat instantly popped out of the bushes beside my apartment. I had a bowl of food, which she ate out of again.

Then I took her inside and put her in the bathroom again. I'm going to keep her in there tonight and put an ad in the paper tomorrow. (This apartment complex is so big that there's no single place I can put a flyer where everyone would see it . . . They even have multiple laundry facilities.)

If she does have a home, it MUST be within the apartment complex because we have a natural park and an expanse of empty road in one direction and a wild pond and a bunch of businesses (no residences) in the other direction.

Also, how can you tell if a cat is declawed or not? I saw her scratching on a tree trunk when she was following Booster around, but I've heard declawed cats will sometimes still do that.

jiorji
October 3rd, 2006, 10:44 PM
about the claws......take her paw and push and the nail should come out.

as for newspaper...good idea, but i'd still post around the building, mainly because some ppl may not have access to the newspaper you print in. How many entrance doors does the complex have? You can just post some on the doors, that way when people walk in they'll see it right away.

LM1313
October 3rd, 2006, 10:54 PM
It's not built like that, unfortunately. It has a bunch of different buildings, with four to six apartments in each. I'd say there are easily fifty little clusters of apartments, probably more like eighty. This place is HUGE. Every time my family comes to visit, they get lost driving around the place.

There's only one local newspaper, so if they're checking the paper at all, it would be that one.

LM1313
October 3rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
about the claws......take her paw and push and the nail should come out.

Thanks . . . that's the way I do it when I'm clipping my kitties' claws, but I wasn't sure if that was the right way.

This kitty is declawed, front paws only. :(

jiorji
October 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
oh no :(

that should tell you enough about the owners. She probably snuck out then.

SunGurl372
October 4th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Are there mail kiosks through out the apartment complex? My place is set up similar to yours, and there are a few central kiosks shared among each set of buildings. It might be a good place to put up signs.

cpietra16
October 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
My first reaction is to keep the cat...by the way she looks pretty good in the picture, not skinny at all, but pictures can lie. Anyway as I said I would keep the cat, however, if she did escape I am sure the people would be looking. SOme people don't know how to look for a lost cat (assume the worst) so I would put up posters incase she really does belong to a family. Wait 2 few days, if nothing happens, keep her:D

LM1313
October 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I've figured out where I can put up signs . . . on the telephone poles by the driveways leading into the complex. Everyone goes by those, one way or another.

If I take her to my vet (which I'm going to do anyway to make sure she doesn't have feline leukemia and such), can they scan for a microchip? Or is that something only shelters can do?

We have a lost pet hotline here, I'll report her on that, too. There's an online version and there is someone there who lost a siamese mix, but it's male with a shaved spot on its belly (as he had just been neutered.) I'm pretty sure this cat is female, but I'll e-mail them just in case . . .

Dog Dancer
October 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
LM, She's a beauty. Here's what I was told when I found a purebred Airdale several years back. The Airdale Club called me (they got my name from the vet who had called them) and said that I should check the newspapers and such for a lost pet ad. If the owners cared enough they would put the word out that they had lost the dog (in your case cat). If I didn't see an ad for the dog - it was mine if I wanted it. They said I should definitely not advertise that I had found it. The vet had my contact info (a vet in the area I found the dog) and the Airdale club did too, so if the owner was determined they would find me. Which alas they did. They were in Vancouver from Alberta and left the dog in the back of a pickup truck while they visited friends. Dog jumped and I found her on a very busy road. Fortunately they cared enough to call all the vets they could find. So I would say, don't put up a poster, but look for one. Make sure the vet can contact you if someone asks and then go from there. Good luck.

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 12:29 PM
If you're putting up signs on telephone poles I would make sure the printing is colourful and large enough to attract attention. What about SunGurl's suggestion regarding mail kiosks? Is there centalized places where you pick up your mail?

chico2
October 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
She certainly is a beauty,wish you could keep her..
I am sure someone has to be looking for her,but if that's the case maybe HS has been notified,if you have a Humane Society where you are:confused:
Poor thing should not be outside at all since she's declawed.:sad:
I am sure if they made her suffer through declawing,she's also spayed.
Our vet can check for microchip,hopefully yours can too.
Still,I hope you can keep her,she is a little beauty...:fingerscr

LM1313
October 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I called the vet and they can check for a microchip, yay! Hopefully if they bothered to get her declawed, they had her microchipped too . . . If she was originally from a shelter, I think they automatically microchip all outgoing cats.

I've made two sets of flyers . . . all black and white because that's the kind of printer I have, but oh well. One flyer lists all the details--her gender, that she's a siamese or himalayan mix, and that she's declawed. That one I'll drop off at local vets and shelters. The other one has no information except her picture. That's the one I'll post on mailboxes and electric poles and such.

The reason I don't have a lot of information on that one is that a lot of people assume any cat with siamese markings is valuable. (You wouldn't believe how many people assume Booster is an expensive purebred. And he even has tabby stripes on his sides.) This way if someone calls I can ask them the gender and color of their cat, in case I get someone calling up just trying to get an "expensive" cat for free. Anyone who's really lost a cat will already know that stuff.

LM1313
October 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Okay, I'm back from the vet. :)

She doesn't have fleas or any communicable diseases, hoorah! No microchip either. She weighs a little over seven lbs . . . the vet said she was a little skinny, but not too bad. She has indeed been declawed. The vet checked for a spay scar but couldn't find one . . . but that doesn't necessarily mean she isn't spayed. I left a flier at my vet and also the vet closest my apartment complex.

She is VERY calm and curious, kept trying to wander around the waiting room at the vet's.

This evening I'll go around and put fliers up.

Her temporary name is Tabitha. :cat:

cpietra16
October 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Too early to congratulate you on your new kitty??:D

Stacer
October 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Good luck with not finding the owner!!:D

jawert1
October 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Boy oh boy, LM, she sure picked you guys as a safe house :) Part of me hopes you find her previous housing occupants, but the other larger part of me prays you don't, since she seems to really like you. Good luck all ways around :)

badger
October 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Could have been dumped. I'm convinced that a Siamese I found was dumped, in a spring snowstorm, on the way to the Jacques Cartier bridge. Perfectly clean pink feet, declawed in front, healthy and PISSED.
I hope you get to keep her, and that she isn't preggers.

LibbyP
October 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
She sure is cute, :fingerscr that you do/don't find her owners, she'd make a nice addition to your handsome boys. Just a side note, on your flyer do not post that she is declawed, owner should know this along with any other distinguishing marks/colour etc.... I would have to agree that she is most likely spayed, and possible 'just' got out. Good luck:thumbs up

~michelle~
October 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
well good luck no matter what way it goes.... shes is very pretty. if she's loved by her family i hope they find her, but if not hope she fits in well!!!! "tabitha" im sure will be happy there !

rainbow
October 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Any updates on "Tabitha"?

LM1313
October 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
No calls about her yet! Since she doesn't have fleas or any kitty diseases, she now has the run of my bedroom as well as the bathroom. :) She's very calm and isn't fearful or stressed out by anything. She's also very quiet.

She's not buddy-buddy with my cats, but they're civil enough that I can have them in the same room for short, supervised periods. If they get really close, she'll hiss. If she hisses, Booster usually hisses back, but for the most part he's just very, very curious. Remy, on the other hand, is not happy about this state of affairs. He's a shy boy and I think he's scared, not territorial. He mostly sits back a good distance away from Tabitha and monitors her, occasionally hissing or growling.

Tabitha mostly just ignores my cats and sniffs / rubs on whatever she's interested in. My cats stared in bemusement as she discovered a bag of catnip which I'd forgotten about and rolled and rubbed on it, then tried to crawl into a box that was too small for her.

It's too bad Tabitha's declawed, I think she'd be more outgoing interacting with my kitty boys (especially Booster, who's inclined to be friendly) if she had her natural weapons.

I've been giving Remy lots of extra loving . . . Luckily, he isn't upset unless Tabby's actually in the room with him.

LibbyP
October 7th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Any news on previous owners? How long is a enough amount of time given until she is declared yours? She sure is a beauty, don't worry your boys will come around, they might not be the best of friends but...(I) also don't think her being declawed will in any way inhibit her ability to play with Booster, my first cat was already declawed when I got her, got my second and they played like :crazy: girls it didn't matter.:fingerscr

starr
October 10th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Years ago. I had a cat who lived to be nearly 18 who looked exactly like this. When I moved, she and her sister came along and for the first few days she hated her new home. One day she darted outside and didn't come back. I looked everywhere...canvassing the neighborhood worried sick. 6 days later my husband was in another part of the neighborhood looking some more, while I was in my truck, slowly driving and calling. I kept whipping back to the house to see what the game score was on Superbowl because my husband was missing it looking for my cat...lol
Anyway, as I drove up to the house I saw...there on the porch, looking bewildered...my CAT. I nearly wrecked the transmission throwing the truck in park while it was still moving..left the engine running..door open..and swooped down on my cat. I got her in the house faster than Houdini.
She was happy to be home and I was ecstatic that she was back. She had lost a little weight as she obviously hadn't eaten. Her collar was off too.

My point is that there could very well be someone looking for this kitty. Please do put up some notices and let people know. If it was my dear girl I'd have paid through the nose to get her back.

If no one claims her, then she's yours. We've had strays show up on our property and if you knew where we lived you'd wonder how they got here. Sometimes they just know where to turn and there's a reason they chose you.

jiorji
October 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM
If no one claims her, then she's yours. We've had strays show up on our property and if you knew where we lived you'd wonder how they got here. Sometimes they just know where to turn and there's a reason they chose you.

yeah i agree with that too. Maybe you should expand the poster posting area.:thumbs up

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 11:01 AM
how is the kitty doing????? is she fittig in nicely? (or did the owners find her) updates please??!!