Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

allergic to Innova

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
So braxton is still losing his hair and how he has a bald little tummy.... Im making him another vet appointment. I was thinking that he may be allergic to his food he was on crap grocery store stuff when i got him and his fur was fabulous, now its falling out and whats left is not so pretty, any suggestions for a good holistic brand that may sit better with him? thanks

Rottielover
October 3rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Are you sure it is allergies and not a thyroid problem, did they do allergy tests?

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
Which Innova?

You're going to have to switch to a completely different food- different protein, different grains...

That Rottielover said is true too- it could be a thyroid thing.

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 07:34 PM
he's going to go the vet soon. i took him to the vet a little while ago and they said not to worry it just seemed like a bad shed. he got blood work and all done a few mos ago when we got him from the pound and there were no worries. but he is going to the vet this week again, im just wondering if it is allergies what i will need to switch him too.

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
What foods exactly has he had?

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
oh its the regular adult formula innova... (but the good news is all the other babies are doing great on it, all have soft pretty fur :) and are happy)

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Turkey Chicken Chicken Meal Ground Barley Ground Brown Rice Potatoes Natural Flavors Ground White Rice Chicken Fat Herring Apples Carrots Cottage Cheese Sunflower Oil Alfalfa Sprouts Egg Garlic Taurine Choline Chloride Calcium Carbonate Vitamins/Minerals Viable Naturally Occurring Microorganisms
It's going to be hard to find one without any overlap... Usually to get rid of grains, you go to potatoes, but this has potatoes too.. Hmm... I'd say try Evo Red Meat. It's different meats, no grains, but it does have the potatoes.:shrug:
Evo Red Meat (http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=%2F%2Fproduct%5B@id%3D%271404%27%5D)

That or DVP Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish:
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html

They have a venison and rice one, but just in case it's a rice thing (you never know), then I'd stick with potato... I just haven't heard of any dog allergic to potatoes yet.

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
thanks for your help prin,:D we'll seewhat the vet says, i just wanted to start some research of good ideas of which to switch to. i dont know much about doggy allergies, i know he's also showing signs of possible cushings or thyroid problems. but he still seems to be happy and not in pain sometimes he's itchy and he has some frequent but easliy healed external ear infections

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Be careful- the vet's just going to suggest Medi-cal hypoallergenic food that's all corn.:sad:

technodoll
October 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
michelle as long as you know how to interpret a food's ingredient list, you can make a yes or no decision based on common sense, your gut instinct and the fact that no sneaky marketing can fool *you*! and stick to your guns :thumbs up

Angies Man
October 6th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I would try him on a single protein, single grain source food. Like lamb & rice, or chicken & rice, etc. The problem with multiple sources is that he may be allergic to one of the proteins.

If he was doing okay on the "crap" grocery dog food, switch him back to that for a while? Or find one that is similar, but without the corn and soy fillers?

Or switch him over to raw with enzymes & vitamin supplements.

If his hair is falling out, you've got to get him to the vet, tho.

rainbow
October 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
There is a connection between ear infections and thyroid disease. I'll see if I can find the thread.

~michelle~
October 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM
yeah i know there is a connection, but he's not exhibiting any other signs. he's not excessively tired, or overly urinating etc. I have taken him the vet once and he thought it was a bad shed..... :frustrated: so he told me to wait a month and then come back and then month is approaching so i will be maing my appointment soon. (otherwise brax is doing very well..... he's come a long way since i got him a few mos ago :) )

Prin
October 8th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Good luck! I hope your vet goes beyond getting you to buy the medi-cal and offers some real solutions.:fingerscr

Good food that your doggy is ok with can make a huge difference. So far on Evo RM and DVP sweet potato and fish, Jemma has been a lot less itchy than before (I had pretty much resigned to her itching a bit all the time because it was so impossible to figure out completely).

rainbow
October 8th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Michelle, one of my previous huskies ( :rip: ) didn't show any signs either. The vet just decided to check as sometimes hypothyroidism is hard to detect without a blood test. It wasn't until I read Ontario Grey's post regarding recurring ear infections that I realized that would have been a sign and they did stop after she was put on thyroid meds.

~michelle~
October 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
well I keep you guys posted, im going to try to take him to the vet thursday or friday.... but fingers crossed:fingerscr

OntarioGreys
October 11th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Dogs won't go bald from food unless it is in an area of heavily inflamed skin that will be red and weepy, and the symptoms he has is enough to be suspicious about hypothyroidism, one of my dogs only symptom was that he became moody, another was tired, depressed, dragged a hind foot and had leathery patches of skin(she had no skin problems and was extremely skinny) the vet was shocked when I demanded she be tested and he tried to argue me out of doing saying she did not have symptoms that were normally seen , her results came back as extremely low a t4 of .3 which shocked even him . Hypothyroidism does not affect every dog the same way, some dogs will have absolutely no symptoms but will be quite low,

Over time if hypothyroidism is left untreated it can do damage to organs and can cause irreversible neurological damage such as lameness or facial paraylsis, so worth checking for even if just to rule out. Sadly I do believe from my own personal experience that their are some vets that avoid test as there is a lot more profit and steady work to be made from treating the symptoms than the underlying disease. Years ago I did not know about thyroid disease and had a dog that showed at least 11 symptoms including facial paralysis that should have had the vet testing for the disease instead all she kept doing for 4 years was tell me it is just allergies and during those 4 years there was not to many months that I was not there at least once a months, near the end it was 2 or 3 visits all the meds took their toll on him and I lost him at the tender age of 7 half the normal lifespan. Once I learned about the symptoms I was angry that not once had she at least suggested testing him :mad:

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Dogs won't go bald from food unless it is in an area of heavily inflamed skin that will be red and weepyBut my dad's dog did... And then on good food, he got it all back.:shrug:
(it was kinda funny when he was baldy because he looked like a little piggy)

~michelle~
October 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM
just a q. when i took my dog for a reg check up when i first got him (in june ) they did a blood test. I didnt see the results but maybe i should have asked (i know i know...) what would have that blood test looked for?

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Depends how comprehensive it was. You'd have to ask.

~michelle~
October 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM
yeah I know i should have asked.... maybe when i go for his nxt apnt i will ask.... Im a bad mommy :( I work in a health care feild and i know you need to ask for results, but it was sucha crazy time when i got him ill be sure to ask when i take him in..... arg vets can be frustrating.... Im going to switch vets i think but i just have to find one thats reasonably priced, some of them in london are OUTRAGEOUS...

Prin
October 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM
No, you're not a bad mom. You got blood tests. That's a great thing.:)

rainbow
October 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Good luck with Braxton's tests. :fingerscr

OntarioGreys
October 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM
A regular blood test is not the same as a thyroid panel and will not tell you if the dog is hypothyroid.

A comprehensive blood test will show t4 only but not free t4, t3, or TSH

If the t4 is in the low normal zone than the thyroid panel should be run

This article by a a vet Dr Suzanne Stack is written about greyhound s but other than the values appplies to all dogs, it shows why measuring by T4 only could cause a false diagnosed http://greyhound-data.com/dir/396/Hypothyroidism_in_Greyhounds.pdf

they show an example with 3 dogs in one of the diagrams, their t4's are all in the low normal range so if you went by t4 only none would need to be treated

but using the other values free t4 and TSH

dog 1 has a 1.4 T4 who is definitely hypothyroid and needs to be on meds
dog 2 has a 1.1 t4 which is lower a lower , but he his only suspicious for hypothyroidism and a drug trial is needed to know for sure if he is or not
and dog 3 is 1.5 but definitely not hypothyroid

mummummum
October 13th, 2006, 01:21 AM
You might also want to do a little research into ask your Vet about alopecia. I hope this link works.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1593&articleid=421

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM
thanks for the link..... his symptoms seem to match thyroid the most (I didnt know slow heart rrate was related) My vet check it when i was there and he made a comment on how his heart rate was slow, plus he had an ear infection, and his fur look a billion times worse than it did a month previous!!!! arg... definately definately need to go to another vet.....

rainbow
October 16th, 2006, 05:50 PM
So, Braxton still hasn't had a thyroid test yet? I would get one done as soon as possible.

~michelle~
October 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
he will be going for test on the 23rd of oct. ill keep everyone posted