Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

kittens pees on bed

blake
February 17th, 2004, 11:02 AM
My 6 month old kitten has been peeing on the bed for several weeks. She was spayed last week. It does not appear to be the litter box, as she still does it even after i emptied and scrubbed the litter box and when i tried paper instead of regular litter. She is very rambunctious and naughty, and doesn't seem at all stressed or depressed.
She will seek out my bedding even if i sleep in different blankets, a different bed, and a different room. She will sleep on the bed as well.
At this point, due to the frequency of her "accidents" i suspect she is not peeing in the litter box at all, though she is still pooping.
I am quite concerned about this, especially because my partner is getting very very frustrated with the kitten and he has a bit of a short fuse. I don't know how to teach her that this is not ok. I can't watch her twenty-four hours a day, so i can't always catch her in the act.
We have two other cats, one of whom will pee on the floor if she decides that the litter box isn't clean enough (she's a bit of a princess) but there doesn't seem to be any explaination for the kittens behavior. Help!!

Lucky Rescue
February 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM
OH, peeing on the bed is the worst!

First of all, are you absolutely sure there is nothing physically wrong with her? Any sudden changes in behaviour should be checked out by a vet.

Bladder infections in cats are just as painful as in humans, and will cause a cat to avoid the litterbox. This is very common. Please have her checked fo this condition.

If she doesn't have a bladder infection, then there is another reason she is doing this. How many litterboxes do you have? For 3 cats, there should be at least 3 litterboxes.

IF that isn't the problem, then I suggest you lock her in a small place, like a bathroom or large dog crate, with her litterbox, food etc to retrain her to use it.

But vet first! If she has a bladder infection, nothing will work and the habit will become more deeply ingrained.

Almost forgot to ask - what do you do when you "catch her in the act"?

blake
February 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I've tried a bunch of different things, as well as having had to give her a bath because she somehow managed to pee all over herself.
i grew up with dogs and we always brought them over to the mess so they could smell it, so i've been doing that.
and i've tried all the things i've been trying to get her to behave - squirt of water (she loves it), clap (she tries to play with my hands), shooing (ditto), a light tug on the tail (no reaction). Right now i've been putting her into her cat carrier for about 10 minutes 'cause she's only ever gone to the vet in it so i think she associates it with unpleasantness. But she cries and i can't stand it because she sounds so upset.
my partner cuffs her, like the same amount of force the other cats use when she's biting too hard or something, but i don't like to hit her, even if it is what her mom would do.

Lucky Rescue
February 17th, 2004, 04:05 PM
This is very important. NEVER EVER punish a cat, especially for litter box problems.

This will do one or all of 2 things:

1 - make the problem worse because of stress
2 - make the cat hate or fear you, as cats react to aggression with aggression of their own, or fear.

Cats avoid the litter box for a reason - always. They are NOT like dogs who may have a lapse in housetraining.(They should never be hit either!) The reason may not be apparent to us right away, but we must find it. Your cat is trying to tell you something, and you are punishing her.

Your partner is being abusive and making the situation worse - guaranteed. No animal should be hit. Mother cats do not cuff their babies for avoiding the litterbox.

Your cat needs to SEE A VET and you need to stop the squirting, tail-tugging and cuffing - is it working??. How will you feel if you're doing all these things to her and she has a bladder infection? If she peed all over herself, something is wrong.

I have had an enormous amount of experience with cats, and am trying to give you the benefit of that experience and to help your cat.

blake
February 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM
i definately understand she needs to see a vet and i've made an appointment (am i right in thinking that i don't have to take her to the ER for a bladder infection? I know I don't need to go to the ER for a bladder infection). The only reason I don't think it's medical is that she went to the vet once already in the midst of this peeing behavior. It was for a spay operation, but i have a good vet and i'd think they would check for any problems before they operated on that part of her body.

and i don't want to punish her. I never have wanted to, though i think maybe it would be good to do something about the way she destroys everything in the house and scratches me to pieces in my sleep. but i also can't let her into my bedroom if she's going to pee on us twice a night. she's gonna see that as punishment, isn't she? she was sure unhappy with me when i had to isolate her from the other cats after her spay appointment.

could she be spraying? it seems like that's a situation in which a cat isn't really avoiding the litter box so much as wanting to pee somewhere else. I had to spay her 2 weeks later than my vet suggested, but she said that 2 weeks wasn't going to be a big deal.

Lastly, how do you get a cat to behave? i mean, crawling under the covers and scratching my partner's unmentionables in his sleep is not acceptable behavior and i'm afraid that even i'm going to hurt her by accident if she keeps scratching us in our sleep. Do you have suggestions? 'Cause i don't like the idea of swatting at the cat and i haven't done it so far, but i have to admit that my partner's two cats, who were both raised that way, are total sweethearts, very loving, very well-behaved, and never do anything more objectionable than peeing beside the litterbox if they feel it's not clean enough. And the kitten seems to like my partner a lot more than me, always wants to be in his lap not mine. i'm just trying to line up the evidence with the theory that seems right to me (don't hit your cat) and i'm a bit confused.

and luckyrescue, i've read a bunch of your posts and i must say, i'm sure you do have extensive experience with animals, but you don't need to be so condescending to people. This is my first baby and i'm doing the best i can, reading lots of info, getting suggestions from other cat owners. I love my baby and i do everything i can to make sure that she is happy and healthy. I play with her all the time, cuddle her, pet her, talk to her, let her sleep under the covers next to me. But first time parents make mistakes, hell, second time parents make mistakes. Your post made me feel like you think i'm a bad parent, and no one appreciates that when they are doing the best they can, and following the advice that others have given them. It's hurtful and it doesn't serve any good purpose. thanks

chico2
February 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Blake you do have a problem,but please don't give up on her.
I too have had cats all my life,but only once a female.
There is always a reason why cats behave"badly"and like Lucky says,you should talk to your vet.
Cats also get stressed really easy and show it in many different ways,that does not mean they will not play or purr and be sweet.
I have a prime example of that laying on my lap right now:D
If I were you,I would keep the bed-room door closed,I've had to do that lately,because my cats(3)have decided all of a sudden12am is playtime,they too were used to sleeping on my bed with me,until I got the latest addition,but I have to get some sleep.
Hitting a cat is never ok,no matter how frustrated you get..
She's just a baby,with an obvious problem,hopefully the vet can clear it up for you.Since you already have two cats,you must know that cats scratch and can do a lot of damage,built her a cat-tree,I have one from floor to ceiling,my husband made it and wrapped it in left-over carpeting and it helps.
Whatever you do,don't have her declawed,please!
A dogcrate,like Lucky said,would be a good idea,a carrier is to small,crates are expensive,but maybe a friend could lend you one.
Good Luck!

blake
February 17th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Don't worry. I would never never never allow anyone to declaw any cat under my care. The vet trimmed her nails without telling me and i'm pretty uncomfortable even with that.
and don't worry there's no question of me giving up on her. She's my baby. You don't ditch your baby 'cause she wets the bed.

blake
February 17th, 2004, 05:20 PM
and we do have two cat trees, one from floor to ceiling and a smaller one from when she was a baby-baby. i don't even care if she claws the furniture. I don't have anything of value anyway. I just wish she didn't claw us.

Lucky Rescue
February 17th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Blake, I looked over my posts and I truthfully see nothing condescending in any of them....?

In any case a 6 month old cat is often in the worst, and most annoying period of it's life. They scratch, they break things, they can drive you crazy. This is part of owning a kitten, but it doesn't last forever.

I have a 5 month old foster kitten here right now, and she is also very annoying. But the most I ever do if she is doing something really bad (like torturing my dog) is say "AH AH!!. If she continues, I put her out of the room, and toss a toy for her to expend energy on. Now she knows that if she is bugging my dog, and I stand up, she is to leave the room and she does. At no time have I sprayed her or cuffed her.

If your kitty wakes you up in the night, keep her out of your bedroom. If she claws you under the covers, don't let her under the covers. Since she has peeing problems, I would put her in the bathroom at night, with some toys and her litterbox.

Feeding her canned beef cat food at night would also help her feel sleepy. You can combine this with playtime, using toys that keep your hands away from her claws.

If you took her in for a spay, and didn't tell your vet about the peeing, how would he know what to look for? A spay would not be a urinalysis and would not reveal a bladder infection.

Believe me, I get impatient too with my kitten, but I'm telling you that kittens do not understand punishment and see it as an act of aggression which only makes any problems they have worse. Some cats could figuratively be hit over the hit with a 2 x 4 and not care, but others are thin-skinned and easily stressed, and stress in cats often shows up as litter box problems.

If your partner has regularly used "cuffing" as a means of training, this could be part of the problem.

I am NOT saying this to make you feel bad, but I have seen many many cats dumped for litter box probs and I'm just trying to keep this from happening to other cats, if I can.

You yourself describe your partner as having a "short fuse". That is worrisome, and I'm here for the animals!

mona_b
February 17th, 2004, 09:50 PM
I have to agree 100% as to what LR and chico have said.

I have a 5 month old kitten that we adopted at 2 months.Our major problem is that he attacks and bites.And I mean hard..Yes LR,he's still at it..We would NEVER swat,spank or cuff him.That would just make matters worse.I would love to say "no" or "stop" to him.But I can't Blake,he's deaf.So this has been a challenge for us.

Also,why did it upset you when the vet trimmed her nails?
Nails should be trimmed at least once a week.With our Kitten Casper,he loves to climb up our leg.And it hurts like heck.As soon as he gets his nails trimmed and tries it,he slides right off.Sort of funny.LOL.....So maybe you should start trimming her nails.

As for the peeing.You definately should get her to the vet and get her checked.

As LR said,if you didn't tell the vet before hand about the peeing,how would the vet know.

Did you have her checked out when the peeing started?

chico2
February 17th, 2004, 10:35 PM
So,Blake you got a lot of good advice,keeping your cat out of your bed and bed-room and seeing the vet..
Wet too clip our cats nails,with a small cat-clipper,you just have to have a steady hand,it is a necessary task.
You seem to have all the trimmings and love for your cats,just keep your partners temper away from the kitten....

amaruq
February 18th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Ha! Lucky is a sweetheart compared to me. Lucky also has allot of experience and tells it like it is! (Add applause here)

I have no use for people who hit animals in anyway! It's abuse and I don't talk to abusers! Next time you do something wrong let your partner "Cuff" you and see how you like it?

Clipping the nails is a very good thing in many ways. I do mine weekly so the things don't get like needles.

Cats are wonderful creatures but very independent. I agree 6 months old is when they are truly full of themselves.

If my Sunny was a human she would be the biggest meanest Biker Momma you ever seen! That cat yells at me on a hourly basis...and she is 8 yrs old.

blake
February 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM
He does.

blake
February 18th, 2004, 11:26 AM
I made a vet appointment, but she seems to have stopped. We put an extra litter box from when she was little and couldn't get into the normal sized ones next to the bed and she seems quite content to use that.

mona_b
February 18th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that she has stopped.:D

I'm glad to hear that you are still taking her to the vet.

Better safe then sorry.:D

chico2
February 18th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Blake,what do you mean"He does!" Is your partner beating you up? Then you need more than a vet:(