Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Both my babies are sick

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
So yesterday we took Angus and Finn to our new vet to have their yearly checkup and vaccines. Angus had peed inappropriately last week and there was some blood on the carpet, so the vet wanted to test for crystals, unfortunately his bladder was empty while we were there so she kept him overnight to get some pee out of him. That's fine (but we felt guilty).

So we bring Finn home and about a half hour later she's vomitting on the bathroom floor (she's such a good girl for doing it on the linoleum). So I call the vet, they're closed, so I call the 24hr pet ER and they say to keep an eye on her and if it gets worse to call again. So it gets worse, more vomitting, and then she's near the litterbox straining to poo, but only clear fluid is coming out. That's it, I call again, and they ask me to bring her. So I get there and it happens to be the busiest night they've ever had!! Lots of crying people.

I got there at 8:30pm and didn't see a vet until nearly 10:30. The vet looked over Finn, she wasn't very good at taking her temp, Fin cried and I had to hold her down (I hate when vets get you to do the dirty work), then she put her finger up Finn's bum and Finn cried and let out some explosive diarrhea, the vet then concluded she had either a reaction to the vaccines or GI infection, she then left and didn't come back, I sat in there for another 45 minutes while Finn continued to have bouts of diarrhea, now with blood in it, the tech kept coming by and apologizing, I told her about the blood and then she came back to tell me that the Dr. says it's nothing to be to worried about, probably just irritation.

So after that I took the meds, told the vet tech to get the Dr. to look at the poo and to call me after she looked at it. So the tech called me when I got home and was in bed at about 12:30 am and told me the Dr. looked and said that the meds she gave me will take care of that. OK. Poor Finn, a very traumatic night, and Angus is in a cage in a strange place.

Now I have two kinds of meds to give Finn, Tylocine capsules for her diarrhea and Sucralfate suspension (liquid) for her possible GI infection. I am having a hell of a time getting either of those into her, any suggestions? I'll do a search in the forum for it. Sorry for the long post, I needed to get that out of my system.

cpietra16
October 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM
This may not be helpful, but I always put their meds in a small amount of tuna juice. Good luck.

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
I'll try that, i just tried putting it in some milk (I know, not good for kitty), but she wouldn't drink it. Tuna juice will probably disguise the smell better.

dtbmnec
October 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
If its in pill form you can get pillers from the vet...Mine cost like 3 bucks and saved my fingers (and Becky's) like crazy! Best 3 bucks I've spent! lol

Megan

Frenchy
October 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
I remember trying to give pills to my cat Missy :eek: Good luck!!! Have you tried process cheese? Pills stick to it.

jessi76
October 3rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
just wanted to post to say I hope your babies feel better soon. :fingerscr

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 01:06 PM
I just got a call from our vet (where Angus is) and she told me that they got a sample and it had lots of blood and bacteria in it and some crystals. My god, we had no idea. So they would like to do an xray to see if there are stones and do a culture to see what kind of bacteria we're dealing with. Poor Angus, we give him wet food daily and there's always water out for him, what else causes infection like that? He's indoors only, so he can't catch anything from other cats, I 'll ask the vet when I go to get him at 5:00. And I need to ask them why Finn has reactd the way she has to the vaccines (if that's what it is) Cause quite frankly, I feel like I shouldn't have had to pay nearly $200 to the ER after just seeing the regular vet, I don't know if I can get them to reduce their costs to compensate for that. Probably not.

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Are UTIs and crystals something that will be recurring? Or is it usually a one time thing?

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Crystals can be from the minerals in the food... The food might be too high in one mineral, and it leaves little rocks in the bladder (that's what I've heard anyway...). The bacteria IMO, can either be caused by an abnormal pH in the bladder (again, because of the minerals in the food) that allow bad bacteria to flourish inside the bladder, or it can be because bacteria somehow managed to travel up his urethra (which is pretty short in male cats, so it's possible).

Probiotics might help, along with a food change.:shrug:

Oh and UTI's usually recurring (get more susceptible once you have had it already), but crystals can go away if you change the food (and it happens to have the right mineral balance for your kitty- going to be hard to find).

chico2
October 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Stacer,I am soo sorry about your kitties and :fingerscr that they'll get better.
Usually cats who are fed only dry foods are the ones who get UTI,but I could be wrong..
It's strange that they both are sick at the same time,with somewhat different symptoms:confused:
They did not get in to anything they should not have,like plants,or something else???
As for giving them pills,I used to crush mine in to powder,then add it to just one teaspoon of food that they like,after that they would get the rest of the food.
Megans idea is good,a pilldespenser from the vet..I never tried it,but would did I have to give meds to mine now.

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
I just brought Angus home, thank god for installment plans, that was a doozey. His pH is a little high, and his blood counts were off the chart, he has the easier kind of stones to get rid of, and he only has one barely visible one in his urethra, so that's good news. She gave him Hills S/D, and I had a lengthy conversation with her about giving him this, and in the end I decided since it's only six weeks then I can find him a more suitable food. And she gave me Clavamox, which I anticipated after reading other similar threads. I also bought one of those pill dispensers and they gave me some sample pill pockets, I just gave one to angus with a pill in it and he gobbled it up, yay, Finn turned her nose at the "treat" , so I'll try the pill dispenser on her later tonight. So everyone's home now, safe and sound. Finn seems fine now, acting normal, just very sleepy. Angus is reacquainting himself. Thanks for all the advice, good wishes. I'm going to do more research on foods to switch them to.

joeysmama
October 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
What a week you've had--and it's only Tuesday !! :grouphug:

I'm glad both babies are home safe and sound !

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Good luck with the recovery.:)

~michelle~
October 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
good luck with the babies..... hope they are feeling better

cpietra16
October 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Hope its a speedy recovery:fingerscr

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Fingers crossed for Finn and Angus :fingerscr Hope they recover quickly. :grouphug:

dtbmnec
October 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I hope they get better soon...

Trust me on the piller it works...you may have to sit on your cat but it works lol

To make it a bit easier on them I would give them a treat after they took one of the pills...that way they can still hate me but figure that I'm still nice :p It's the only treat they get and otherwise I give treats infrequently...I've been giving them more lately because I've had them out on the leashes and I want to associate good things.. but yeah :)

Megan

Stacer
October 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone! Angus and Finn are doing much better, Finn seems to back to normal, although she did vomit last night at 3am, but today was as frisky as ever and is taking all her meds fairly good. Angus is good and is taking his meds very well. The piller thingy that I bought yesterday doesn't work on Finn (sorry megan), it's much easier to do it with my fingers, she doesn't bite or claw, just very squirmy, so I kneel and put her between my legs and trap her. Also doing it in the bathroom with the door closed helps, so she can't go far if she squirms away. Angus goes back in a month for a urine check up, so I anticipate that everything will be normal since he's taking everything so well. I just hope we don't have to do this again for a long time!!! The nice thing was that the vet gave us some discounts because we were so willing to do all of the tests that they asked us to do, so they waived some of the the smaller fees, so that was nice. Still expensive but more bearable.

Prin
October 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Great! I hope they keep getting better. Good luck.:)

rainbow
October 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Glad Finn and Angus are doing better and hope they continue to do so. :fingerscr Keep us posted.