Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DVP Venison and Fish

coppperbelle
October 3rd, 2006, 06:13 AM
I began mixing the two together yesterday and both dogs loved it. They eat everything so that was no surprise.:D
What I am noticing is that Chloe is devouring her food. She hasn't done this since I brought her home 5 years ago. I am not sure if it is the food at this point but I am going to put something in her bowl to slow her down.

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM
The wild salmon oil I got at Woofers is slowing Jemma down a bit. :D

Fishy foods tend to taste better, IMO, but my doggies aren't loving the DVP.:shrug: They're ok with it, but not loving it.

MERI
October 3rd, 2006, 05:52 PM
I put Bilbo on DVP venison about a week ago (after solid gold) and he id fine so far. My concern is citric acid.
Do you know if it increases risk of bloating very much? I know that basset hounds are prone to bloat. I take off his water before and after feeding. Should I be concerned or ot's OK?

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's hard to say.. Risk factors are just that- risks. They don't guarantee that your dog will get bloat, just as avoiding them doesn't guarantee that your dog won't bloat.

IMO, just keep an eye out for an increase in gas.

coppperbelle
October 4th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Now that you mention it there has been no gas here at all and I have two dogs eating it. They are very anxious for their meals as usual. It is like they have not even experienced a food change.

vfrohloff
October 5th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Is citric acid the same as ascorbic acid?

Prin
October 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
No, ascorbic acid is vitamin C.:shrug: I thought they were the same too... But they aren't.

vfrohloff
October 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
OK, thanks. Meri, there's no citric acid listed on the ingredients for DVP Venison formula.

Prin
October 6th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Yes, there is:
Venison, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Rice Flour, Venison Meal, Rice Bran, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), :shrug: :(