Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found in woods

t.pettet
October 2nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Was walking with my dogs this p.m. down this narow wooded trail that leads to a large creek. Its very lush, hilly, rocky and the perfect place to let dogs off-leash. So here we are strolling along enjoying the sun and something white in the woods (about 20 ft away) catches my eye - a domestic goose just sitting in the leaves watching us. About the same time my dogs caught wind of it and went over to investigate. The goose just sat where it was, didn't hiss or even stand up until of course Tiffy decided to have a taste of his tail feathers. Well the chase was on, they're barking and he's flapping his wings and trying to stay as close to me as possible. Can you picture 4 little poms chasing a very tall goose? Total chaos. I finally managed to leash the dogs, tied them to a tree and went to catch the goose who is so scared and panting and hiding just behind a log about 50 ft. away. This goose was so relieved when I picked him up, he actually leaned into me and put his head on my shoulder as we hiked 1 km. to the car. I loaded the dogs into the back seat and unfortunately had to put him in the trunk. Got home, deposited him in the puppy pool which am sure he drank 1/4 of, settled the dogs in the house and went out to feed this poor bird. He ate 2 slices of bread, 1 can of corn and about 1/2 cup of peanuts, then proceeded to splash around the pool and settled in the sun to dry off. Called a friend of mine who's involved in farm animal rescue who very happily came and took him to join her flock. His nails were so overgrown he could hardly walk which is probably why he was having such a hard time escaping my dogs, so we cut as much as possible. The 2 farms that are in the area don't have any fowl and because he's so tame we think he might have been a pet who was just dumped there because the novelty wore off and winter is coming making it difficult to house him. This poor thing was just a 'sitting duck' for some fox or wolf and am really pleased I was in the right place at the right time. I nick-named him Silly (Silly Goose) and know he'll have a good future.

erykah1310
October 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
Im so happy you found him. Who knows what would have happened to him. Some people :mad: "winters coming, time to get rid of a few" :mad:

Frenchy
October 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
Well the chase was on, they're barking and he's flapping his wings and trying to stay as close to me as possible. Can you picture 4 little poms chasing a very tall goose?
I was so afraid to read the rest of the post,I tought you had big dogs that killed the poor goose.Sorry If I burst out laughing when I read they are poms! :D Thank you for saving this poor soul! :thumbs up

mummummum
October 2nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Oh .... people are just despicable creatures. One can only hope karma comes along and gives them a good kicking. You're an :angel: - what a lucky goose that you and the Great Pom Hunters ;) were out in the woods today.

rainbow
October 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well you certainly were in the right place at the right time. Thank goodness you rescued the poor goose. How did you manage to get him and your four poms to the car at the same time?

erykah1310
October 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Must have been an interesting ride home

But thankfully the goose couldnt have peed in your car:D ( my new confirmed knowlege lol)

t.pettet
October 2nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Thanks for all your 'thank yous for saving Silly' . I think any of us who participate and enjoy this site would have done the same. It disgusts me that some people have no heart or conscience and could do that to a helpless animal. It was truly an amusing adventure, the poms usually give chase on our walks to the occasional partridge but have never encountered any bird that large that didn't fly away, it just kept running in circles which made them all the more prey-driven. They were tripping over each other and barking in a frenzy while I'm trying to gain a semblance of order. After it was all said and done and he'd survived the chase and trunk ride I sat down and started laughing to myself with the 4 killer dogs all snoozing around me.:rolleyes:

Lissa
October 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
Aww that's wonderful - I am so happy you saved Silly too:love: ! Who knows what would have happened if you weren't there!! Lucky Silly! That would have made an unbelievable picture!

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
But, you still didn't tell us how you managed to get Silly and your four poms to the car at the same time.

Prin
October 3rd, 2006, 12:20 AM
What a great story. Sad beginnings for Silly, but at least he has a happy ending. He sounds so sweet. Lucky you were in the woods at the right time.:) :grouphug:

t.pettet
October 3rd, 2006, 12:50 AM
Thanks Prin and hey Rainbow, Silly rode home in the trunk of the car, there would have been one very BALD goose and I would have been vacuuming feathers forever had he ridden inside the car with the dogs.;)

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 12:59 AM
No, I meant how did you get Silly and your dogs to your car? Did you have the goose under one arm and held four leashes in the other hand? Or, did you leave your dogs off leash and they just followed you? Didn't they try to jump up and get the goose?

t.pettet
October 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yes Silly rode under one arm and the dogs just loosely followed along, there was no way they were letting him out of their sight.

Stacer
October 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
That's so sweet, I love ducks. Good thing you were where you were when you were.:D

cpietra16
October 4th, 2006, 10:11 AM
It would have been an interesting video clip. 4 dogs and a human chase duck:D :D