Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi! About to be a New Owner! Advice Please!

tofu!
October 2nd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm so glad to have found this place!

I'm about to be an excited owner of a Shiba Inu puppy!

Owning a dog is completely new for me so does anyone have any advice? Has anyone ever purchased Shiba Inus from British Columbia?

- what do I have to get for a new Shiba Inu?
- how is housetraining a shiba?

Any other advice would be great! I've done research and I know Shiba Inus tend to be quite active and bratty so I think I'll need some help but I can't wait to add the puppy to my household!

Thanks!

erykah1310
October 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
Congrats on your soon to be puppy, and welcome to the board.
I dont know much about the breed at all, so i wont boast any knowledge I dont have.:o

What made you decide on a Shiba??? Just curious.

rainbow
October 3rd, 2006, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the board. There are members here that own Shiba Inus. I think you would get a better response to your questions if you posted them in the Breed Information Forum though. And, of course, as soon as you get your new puppy, we want to see pics. :dog:

Bonnie S
October 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Congrats on about to become owned by a Shiba Inu! :)

Shiba Inus housetrain VERY quickly. They really hate to soil their own area.

Buy a crate, the 200 size is best. The pup only needs enough room to stand up, turn around and lie down.

The first few times you take him or her out of the crate, pick him/her up! Do not let those cute little puppy paws touch the floor or you'll be cleaning up! LOL Get him or her outside. Use a command like "go potty" or "get busy" (just examples) and keep repeating them calmly until the pup pees and/or poops, then praise big time and give a treat. If the pup doesn't do anything though, after 15 minutes, go inside for 15 minutes, then go back out for 15 minutes. Keep doing this until the pup does "go".

What else do you need?
Stainless steel bowls, for food and water
Kongs are great - buy the black ones, they are toughest.
Buy a few different toys; don't go crazy, you'll need to figure out which ones your pup likes best OR if your pup is going to destroy toys within minutes, lol.

Nail Clippers
Toothpaste, toothbrush or thimble for teeth
Comb & brush - I like the combs that rake out the undercoat, followed by a slicker brush.
Collar & leash of course, plus a name tag

Buy a copy of Puppies for Dummies - seriously, it helps a lot!

You're in BC? Join the Yahoo Group called ShibaInuCrazyinCanada! You can tons of info from us there, too.

Bonnie & Sushi

tofu!
October 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
thanks so much for the info! I will definitely check out the Yahoo group!

Actually I'm getting a little bit of Shiba nervousness. I saw my friend had a Shiba and totally fell in love with them. I actually like their independence. But I did a lot more research as of late and another coworker told me her brother has a Shiba that bites everyone and is quite aggressive.

Some Shiba sites have stated that Shibas can be a bit nippy? I"m a little concerned now!

I'm supposed to go see the breeder this Saturday!